Thread: Why is there still no mod to drastically slow down unit battle movement speed?

Default Why is there still no mod to drastically slow down unit battle movement speed?

I have seen many mods that slow unit battle movement speed down by what they say is one movement point, which from my calculations is only about 10 percent or so. I want a mod that slows unit battle movement speed down by about 500 percent. Clearly, there are no such mods. But why is there nothing that slows it down more than the hardly even noticeable 10 percent? In Medieval 2, where there is the wonderful adjustable unit battle movement speed slider, I spend much of my battles with the speed reduced by 80 to 90 percent. That is what I would desire for Rome 2. But I can't even find a single mod that will just reduce the speed to even a mere 50 percent. I understand that most people don't want to play at speeds that slow, but can anyone explain why there is not even one mod that even comes close to attempting anything even remotely similar? I will give up on wishing for this as after ten years it clearly isn't being done. I just wonder if anyone can explain exactly why not?

P.S. - And, of course, if anyone has any suggestions for a mod that does anything greater than a mere one movement point (roughly 10 percent), I would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Kilgore Trout; July 25, 2021 at 05:05 AM.
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Why is there still no mod to drastically slow down unit battle movement speed?

The mod you are looking for is WARS OF THE GODS-ANCIENT WARS https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=193736354

Default Re: Why is there still no mod to drastically slow down unit battle movement speed?

Yes, thank you Bran. I've done some testing and I see that Wars of the Gods does indeed slow the mounted units running speed by at least 50 percent or so over vanilla, which is actually quite a lot, so I will give that a try. I would imagine anything more and things might get too out of balance with this engine, design, etc. But slightly more than 50 percent slower movement speed is considerably slower than I had thought would see, so I think I will have to be satisfied with that.

Once again, thank you for your response and your work Bran!
    Last edited by Kilgore Trout; July 29, 2021 at 06:47 AM.
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978

slowing battle movement too much will interfere with unit animations.. Anyway vanilla game has speeds way too high.. Personally, I cant imagine how could a formation of heavy infantry in close formation, while holding shields and weapons run so fast in such tight formation and even throw javelins... you are absolutely right it has to be slower.. 3-4m/s charge speeds are just insane..