Thread: Armies reaching critical mass for factions with only one region

Default Armies reaching critical mass for factions with only one region

Certain factions that begin with one region have a tendency to gather stack after stack around their starting capital. Only when the stacks have reached some sort of critical mass (4-5 full stacks) do they disperse and make attempts at conquering surrounding regions. Until then assaulting these clusters is impossible - imagine having to fight multiple armies in the span of one battle, each one risking a in-battle CTD and contributing to the probability of a post-battle CTD. These biggest offending factions are Hayastan, Bosphoros, and Pontos, though it seems that any faction reduced to one region will behave like this. Is there any way to fix this? I've come across a scripting variable called "faction_max_unit" before; perhaps that limits how many units a faction can support? If so then perhaps the cap should be determined by how many regions an AI faction owns

Default Re: Armies reaching critical mass for factions with only one region

This is beside the point of your actual question, but I feel obligated to ask. Was it you who had a reason why you cannot apply a 4GB memory solution? Someone did recently, but if you are just unaware of it, that got rid of the CTD issue for me entirely.

Yes, I was the one. I'm running EBII on a Feral port for the Mac, and the 4GB patcher only works on Windows

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Yeah, that's the issue right there, the 4GB patch. Ever since I installed that I have never had a CTD from a major battle involving multiple armies on screen, just recurring CTDs from peculiar bugs that seem to affect a very limited amount of tiles on the campaign map. If you were able to do that and build your own full stack armies, then attacking the enemy AI stacks wouldn't be a problem. Best of luck, though, and I hope you're able to get a PC sometime in the near future to play the game on that instead!

I must say that I feel really bad for you. To me spending a lot of time carefully managing a difficult battle and finally being able to overcome only to see everything go down the drain is such a disappointment. I would have quit playing if it wasn't for a fix. I could not handle that on a regular basis apart from those infrequent individual occasions that Roma_Victrix mentioned (I have had very very few). The game and the mod do not need that much hardware resources, so I would probably consider making a pc out of inexpensive parts or getting my hands on some old laptop.

I haven't posted in these forums for over a good half decade... gosh time passes. I'll go ahead and tout myself as writing the first step by step guide to running EB2 via Wine in Linux, a post that was linked to in the install instructions on a few versions - not sure if it's still there is 2.35.

I tried the Feral port and run EB2 there. I actually didn't get the CTD issues (it was some time ago, not 100%), I may or may not have found some 3rd party patch to expand the game's RAM usage in the Feral port - maybe you really don't have much RAM. Regardless I found it unplayable as about 70% of my fights are siege battles and the city maps don't work in the Feral port. Safe to say I have returned to the Wine version and am still playing it happily today (for time reference I think my instructions were like wine 1.7.x, and now we're at 6.0).

For the love of god, install the windows version in wine (should be do-able in steam - I use a CD version of old) and run through DXVK for the silkiest FPS possible. Feral did an okay job but it's redundant given the state of wine today (basically better [more stable] than windows for games as old as M2TW). I haven't had a single CTD in memory: It initially ran on ancient processor+4GB ram and I copied my home folder to an newly build computer which is 8x better in every metric and it runs beautifully.

I don't recall, but I think the save file might even work when you go to the windows install of the game - not relevant with 2.4 being "On the horizon"TM

If only I could edit my above post, for anyone trying to play on linux (and know what the following words mean): DXVK is not working; latest wine-staging release (6.0) isn't working; Esync isn't working. I can play otherwise fine on my 5.18-tkg build on top of wine-staging.