Thread: Should barbarian factions get supplylines?

Default Should barbarian factions get supplylines?

I noticed I can still recruit baggage trains, but can't get any supply lines from buildings. Maybe from souterrain or livestock building ( herds are easier to move around ) if not from any harbor building?

Default Re: Should barbarian factions get supplylines?

Well I'll join my post with the Vercingetorix; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_earth#Roman In order to raid your own area in-game you'd need to have a working baggage train and supply line from adjacent redion. Both Vercingetorix and Arminius served in Roman auxilia, so they had really detailed info of the Roman supply system. There's couple later accounts with Goths and Vandals buth that's in Romanized area, using their facilities and people likely https://www.livescience.com/46150-vandals.html

Maybe getting supply lines from grade 4 harbors and livestock buildings to adjacent regions would be solution? Another for the consideration is the Veneti ( RoR ) with their superior horses, they maybe had the horses/mules with carriages to create civilized enough supplylines? Their origins seem really weird ranging from Babylonian, Briton to Greek ( Troy ), Finno-Ugric, Pamphlagonian or Persian.
    Last edited by H-Khan; January 21, 2021 at 10:34 AM.

I personally like our current system as it adds great differentiation for factions and makes them play differently based on cultures.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Well I'm all for the different factions, but the unit in it's current form for barbarian factions is kinda useless. It just slows down the army while providing small moraleboost ( mostly used it for starting armies with levy-kind morale ). You're way better off using druids or something for replacement. Maybe get some other type of bonus if not the supplyline?

I'll be honest I've played hundreds of hours as the barbarian factions and have asked several times and I still have no idea how the barbarian supply lines work; from what I can tell you don't really need it early game because your capital gives supplies up to 3 tiles away, but i'm honestly not even sure about that, heh

I agree about baggage trains, I actually think they should be a bit more useful overall (not just for Barbarians).

I've always wanted supply units to give more ammo to certain units, maybe for just certain factions like Parthia or something. Probably would be hard to balance but perhaps they could give just a boost to units that they are in the army of?

Foederatus

I know this is not strictly concerning the question at hand, but I think it relates none the less. I've long wondered about the possibility for units to grand armywide boni in the campaign mode. Much like baggage trains do (and to which I as well would like to see them be more usefull), I think it would be a nice touch if for instance very light cavalry or infantry, especially for barbaric factions, would grant a bonus to spotting range, ambush spotting and ambush chance. This would give an incentive to recruite more light troops, but would also add to immersion I think. It could be a trait that some units, especially AOR or mercenaries, could get added, perhaps such that they would only be valid in their home type landscape (e.g. light desert horse would grant a +5% bonus to ambush chance in deserts or ambush spooting chance). A way to represent how armies would use local mercenaries as guides when campaigning in foreign lands. I also think it would represent the importance of pre-battle preparations. Unfortunately Rome II and later don't allow for the smaller skirmishes that we had in MII and RI when using one or two units as scouts. Using light cavalry or local troops could represent that. Remember how many battle outcomes through history that were decided because one army had a better knowledge of the tarrain or surprised an unsuspecting enemy who lacked sufficient intelligence.
    Of course this should all be balanced so it would not end up in cancelling each other out if every single army carries said troops.
    Also I don't even know if this is possible to mod. The only campaign map trait that I know of is some units possibility for campaing stealth. I imagine you add agents' army traits to units or something similar.
    Tell me what you think of the idea

Quote Originally Posted by Ekoten View Post
    I know this is not strictly concerning the question at hand, but I think it relates none the less. I've long wondered about the possibility for units to grand armywide boni in the campaign mode. Much like baggage trains do (and to which I as well would like to see them be more usefull), I think it would be a nice touch if for instance very light cavalry or infantry, especially for barbaric factions, would grant a bonus to spotting range, ambush spotting and ambush chance. This would give an incentive to recruite more light troops, but would also add to immersion I think. It could be a trait that some units, especially AOR or mercenaries, could get added, perhaps such that they would only be valid in their home type landscape (e.g. light desert horse would grant a +5% bonus to ambush chance in deserts or ambush spooting chance). A way to represent how armies would use local mercenaries as guides when campaigning in foreign lands. I also think it would represent the importance of pre-battle preparations. Unfortunately Rome II and later don't allow for the smaller skirmishes that we had in MII and RI when using one or two units as scouts. Using light cavalry or local troops could represent that. Remember how many battle outcomes through history that were decided because one army had a better knowledge of the tarrain or surprised an unsuspecting enemy who lacked sufficient intelligence.
    Of course this should all be balanced so it would not end up in cancelling each other out if every single army carries said troops.
    Also I don't even know if this is possible to mod. The only campaign map trait that I know of is some units possibility for campaing stealth. I imagine you add agents' army traits to units or something similar.
    Tell me what you think of the idea
    I think thats a pretty neat idea, having screening units and skirmishers provide some sort of bonus as they did historically for army spotting, movement, ambush etc
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLonelyEmperor View Post
    I've always wanted supply units to give more ammo to certain units, maybe for just certain factions like Parthia or something. Probably would be hard to balance but perhaps they could give just a boost to units that they are in the army of?
    We had them giving ammo regen in battles but for some reason the effect stopped working in one of the last game updates if I remember. Its an effect that works in Attila but not Rome I think.

I do remember them giving like 15% ammo at some point. But when that goes to siege engines and melee unit javelins it starts to get bit too overpowered. Maybe additional income from raiding and sacking along the normal attrition resistance?

Hi! Playing numidians. Noticed that they can not recruit supply ships. Is it some mistake?

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

well... numidians aren't really known for their sailing capabilites
    hence... they have that kind of penalty as other factions do