Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Abysmal turn times

Default Re: Abysmal turn times

UPDATE!

I figured out what was causing the issue. As soon as I disabled UAC, my turn times that were taking minutes are now only taking 10-15 seconds.

Like, wow. Massive difference. Just a little switch...

I guess everything is solved now. Finally.

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Draken2007 View Post
    UPDATE!

I figured out what was causing the issue. As soon as I disabled UAC, my turn times that were taking minutes are now only taking 10-15 seconds.

Damn , thats nice to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis2345 View Post
    Damn , thats nice to hear.
    What is UAC? And where is disabled?
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    What is UAC? And where is disabled?
    https://articulate.com/support/artic...-in-windows-10

As for the turn times, something a little strange happened to me.
    I recently bought a new laptop with a better SSD, i7 10 gn, RTX 2060 graphics and 16 GB RAM ... I downloaded the Jurand version (0.9.8 beta) and copied a saved Norwegian campaign that I had from my old 0.9.7 version patch E + KCC in the year 1178.
    With the new campaigns that I start, the turns are a bit slow (1-1:30 min), but with my old Norwegian campaign it takes just 15-20 seconds to pass turns.
    Why is this due?
    Maybe because of the initial scripts in the game at the beginning of a campaign?
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    As for the turn times, something a little strange happened to me.
    I recently bought a new laptop with a better SSD, i7 10 gn, RTX 2060 graphics and 16 GB RAM ... I downloaded the Jurand version (0.9.8 beta) and copied a saved Norwegian campaign that I had from my old 0.9.7 version patch E + KCC in the year 1178.
    With the new campaigns that I start, the turns are a bit slow (1-1:30 min), but with my old Norwegian campaign it takes just 15-20 seconds to pass turns.
    Why is this due?
    Maybe because of the initial scripts in the game at the beginning of a campaign?
    Very interesting observation!
    I doubt very much that the initial scripts are the reason. I've modified them little and Belovese changes are not yet there. My conclusions would be different. There's something in the config (.cfg) what make the changes.
    I'll check anyway turn times of the versions I've got on the disk (E+KCC,0.98 I'd call alfa, not beta ;-). Maybe I'm wrong and you're right, j.a.

Also in the 098 alpha the wait_monitor error is corrected, so there is more scipts firing, IIRC. Also some of them are firing at each character or settlement turn start, witch can be heavy. I'm trying to limit that in my current work.
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

UPDATE!

I tried that a while back, makes no difference. Turn times are still hitting 3 minutes+.

I would blame my craptop but EB2 has always worked fine.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

For comparison, I tested the lap time on my PC Win10 64bits- i56600k-GTX1070- DD (no ssd)
    I am using the latest Belovèse file but the campaigns tested started before its implementation (I guess it may not be fully operational ?)

Over 3 campaigns, on the 36th lap, on the 49th and on the 72nd lap, it takes around 20 seconds ... nothing annoying in my case.

To be sure, I tested the lap time with a new HRE campaign (to make full use of the new Belovèse script): the time remains the same around 20 seconds.

I have always had the problem with my games performing poorly without modding. I can't even play vanilla Rome 1, but with DarthMod it plays smoothly. SSHIP is way smoother than any other M2TW mod. Same case with Morrowind and Fallout 3/New Vegas - unplayable without mods, albeit they are specifically stability mods.

Anyways, for SSHIP, I have suffered from long turn times that were fixed when I reinstalled the game and mod. Late game I always have podcasts playing or an E-Book handy.

Glad to see you got it fixed!

Idk if it would help in the future, but I always run installers as admin. I want to play Fallout;The Frontier and Tsardoms total war, but I am scared of messing with my game that is already stable lol.

I don't think TW has anything of the sort, but a mod manager like MO2 would be awesome. Then you could play whatever mod you want without having to reinstall the game. And in my experience my games run way better launching from Mod Managers.

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    For comparison, I tested the lap time on my PC Win10 64bits- i56600k-GTX1070- DD (no ssd)
    I am using the latest Belovèse file but the campaigns tested started before its implementation (I guess it may not be fully operational ?)

Over 3 campaigns, on the 36th lap, on the 49th and on the 72nd lap, it takes around 20 seconds ... nothing annoying in my case.

To be sure, I tested the lap time with a new HRE campaign (to make full use of the new Belovèse script): the time remains the same around 20 seconds.
    What script is this? I haven't seen anything??

What script is this? I haven't seen anything??
    He meant a fix for two script errors Belovese spotted like month ago. This fix is included in ver. G (but was not present in E or F).

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    He meant a fix for two script errors Belovese spotted like month ago. This fix is included in ver. G (but was not present in E or F).
    Damn. My turns are still slow as ever. I really wish this could be solved somehow. I'm not the only one having these issues. This is a problem that must be adressed.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

It's curious your problem. Forty or thirty seconds per lap already seems relatively long ... but 3 minutes !!!

- Have you turned off character tracking on the campaign map ?
    - Is the driver for your processor (i9?) Installed ?
    - Could there be some background task slowing down your PC ?

These are some ideas that come to me. For my part, like Jurand of Cracow, EBII has longer lap times than SSHIP at home.

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    It's curious your problem. Forty or thirty seconds per lap already seems relatively long ... but 3 minutes !!!

- Have you turned off character tracking on the campaign map ?
    - Is the driver for your processor (i9?) Installed ?
    - Could there be some background task slowing down your PC ?

These are some ideas that come to me. For my part, like Jurand of Cracow, EBII has longer lap times than SSHIP at home.
    Everything is up to date, as I said, my machine is brand new. But I did some tests

Running SSHIP with my usual background software off, gives me 55 seconds per turn. And with everything turned on, it takes 60 seconds. Only a 5 second increase.

This was done on the early turns, so by the time you reach turn 100 is probably going to be triple the ammount of time it takes.

Yet, when I tested EBII, I registered only 18 seconds with all my background stuff turned on, so I assume that if they were turned off, it would be even faster. On the first turns as well.

I also decided to test on SS6.4 and the first early turns take about 48 seconds with everything off. So, very similar to SSHIP.

My conclusion is that SS6.4 is a very outdated mod and an EB2 isn't, which perhaps means that the scripts that are used in EBII are just far more optimized then those used by SS and in turn by SSHIP.

Everything is up to date, as I said, my machine is brand new. But I did some tests

Running SSHIP with my usual background software off, gives me 55 seconds per turn. And with everything turned on, it takes 60 seconds. Only a 5 second increase.

This was done on the early turns, so by the time you reach turn 100 is probably going to be triple the ammount of time it takes.

Yet, when I tested EBII, I registered only 18 seconds with all my background stuff turned on, so I assume that if they were turned off, it would be even faster. On the first turns as well.

I also decided to test on SS6.4 and the first early turns take about 48 seconds with everything off. So, very similar to SSHIP.

My conclusion is that SS6.4 is a very outdated mod and an EB2 isn't, which perhaps means that the scripts that are used in EBII are just far more optimized then those used by SS and in turn by SSHIP.
    The problem with that conclusion is that there are player (an perhaps quite a few) that see the SS/SSHIP times shorter than the EBII (or, especially, the DaC). And not that long as you mention. So my conclusion would be that there's something in your software setting that slows down certain players, you included.

Besides, I'm not sure the time would triple after 100 turns. We've got now the save from turn 545, let's check it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    The problem with that conclusion is that there are player (an perhaps quite a few) that see the SS/SSHIP times shorter than the EBII (or, especially, the DaC). And not that long as you mention. So my conclusion would be that there's something in your software setting that slows down certain players, you included.

Besides, I'm not sure the time would triple after 100 turns. We've got now the save from turn 545, let's check it there.
    Well, I tried it with that save and the turn time was 30 seconds, but then again, many factions were dead so doesn't really count.

My campaign that lasted 100 turns was taking atleast three minutes for every turn. And I had not killed any faction at that point.

If it's not SSHIP and it's my system, then I simply give up on this. Way to much effort and very little reward from it, specially when considering I have so many other alternatives to play with. SSHIP doesn't work for me(and others as well) as you make it out to. That's what I know.

Draken do you perhaps run SSHIP launcher in some compatibility mode? A month or more ago we discussed here that, running it in a compatibility mode could potentially resolve some crashing issues, but most definitely doubles or even triples the turn time. In my case I play with win7 64, but have enabled win xp compatibility mode to let me pass some crashes that were present in former version (not in january 2021). Doing so would get my turn times from 30 - 45 seconds cca, to 2 - 3 minutes. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Waluk View Post
    Draken do you perhaps run SSHIP launcher in some compatibility mode? A month or more ago we discussed here that, running it in a compatibility mode could potentially resolve some crashing issues, but most definitely doubles or even triples the turn time. In my case I play with win7 64, but have enabled win xp compatibility mode to let me pass some crashes that were present in former version (not in january 2021). Doing so would get my turn times from 30 - 45 seconds cca, to 2 - 3 minutes. Check it out.
    Just checked it. No Compatibility mod turned on both Kingdoms, medieval .exes and even the SSHIP launcher.
    Last edited by Draken2007; January 25, 2021 at 11:40 AM.

sship developers, I tell you my experience regarding the times of the turns in various campaigns and different mods so that you can compare times.
    In advance I have a new and modern laptop, i7 (10th generation), 16 GB RAM, RTX 2060 graphics, 1 TB SSD and Window 10 64bits.

TURN TIME IN THE GAME.

* MEDIEVAL 2 VANILLA --- 2 SECONDS

* KINGDOMS AMERICAS --- 3 SECONDS

* SSHIP 0.9.8 (A) JURAND VERSION --- INITIAL CAMPAIGN WITH BYZANTINES (1 TURN) 1:52 MINUTES.
    OLD NORWAY CAMPAIGN (PATCH E) (78 TURNS) 20 SECONDS, (I THINK THE SCRIPTS DO NOT WORK WELL IN THIS CASE)
    CUMAN CAMPAIGN (10 TURNS) 1:46 MINUTES.

* SSHIP 0.9.7 PATCH G --- INITIAL CAMPAIGN WITH VENICE (1 TURN) 1:46 MINUTES.
    MY OLD NORWAY CAMPAIGN HERE TAKES 2:20 MINUTES.
    RUS CAMPAIGN (2 TURNS) 1:20 MINUTES

* EUROPE BARBARUM 2 MOD --- NEW CAMPAIGN 3:36 MINUTES.

* DIVIDE AND CONQUER v4.5 MOD --- NEW CAMPAIGN 3:14 MINUTES.

* VANILLA BEYOND MOD --- NEW CAMPAIGN 32 SECONDS.
    BYZANTINE CAMPAIGN YEAR 1268 1:10 MINUTES.

* FALCOM TOTAL WAR MOD --- NEW CAMPAIGN 3 SECONDS.
    DANISH CAMPAIGN TURNO 174, YEAR 1166, 29 SECONDS.

With this I want to give my experience to the sship team so they can solve these time problems or if they can speed it up. A lot of time is wasted between turn + passes, but still sship is NOT the longest-running mod on a modern laptop.
    Last edited by j.a.luna; January 25, 2021 at 01:14 PM.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast