Thread: Ajax-Diomedes DLC announced.

Default Ajax-Diomedes DLC announced.

It costs 9.99 euros like all lord packs since September 2020 with a 10% reduction, if you pre-order on Epic. Similarly to Warhamme DLCs, it's going to be released two weeks after the announcement, in January 28.

Besides the two legendary heroes, it also contains a few extra units (including "aura elites", which honestly sound a bit too magical and I can't think of an Iliad example), special quests and a new mechanic for the conquest of Troy, involving the Palladium. It was a wooden statue of Athena placed in Troy, which, according to the Aenead, Diomedes stole, in order to make the fall of Troy feasible. The god Hephaestus is going to be the free addition. For more information, have a look here.

Personally, I'm not going to buy it, as I'm not a huge fan of the two lords and I haven't even managed to install Troy, but I'm interested in your opinion. The reception doesn't seem very enthusiastic so far, in comparison to the latest pack for Warhammer, but that doesn't mean that the DLC won't perform well. If it is profitable enough, I definitely expect a second paid lord pack in spring covering Trojan heroes this time (probably Rhesus and Memnon).

Actually, Blondie also confirmed that Ajax-Diomedes is not going to be the last DLC, so that settles it.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; January 14, 2021 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Hitittes when?!

RafSwi7's Avatar Content Staff
    Citizen

Default Re: Ajax-Diomedes DLC announced.

I am happy

Two factions with important heroes from Trojan War mythos, with half of their rosters being unique (like with other Troy playable factions). New minor heroes added - Teucros (Archer hero in one screenshot) and Neoptolemus (son of Achilles) and the Epigoni.

Paragon units which seems to be units with the captain/general (if I understand it correctly). Diomedes can create his own paragon units (you choose unit buffs etc) and Epigoni lead them.

New Thebes battle map (give me also at least Knossos and I will be content with unique cities). The fourth way to conquer Troy.

We still need to learn their unique mechanics.

FLC is as expected - new god with new Epic Agent.

EDIT:

Ajax's mechanics from preview are:

• "The Path to Greatness" - Ajax is gaining renown (unique resource for Ajax). When he gains renown he can challenge "Paragons" to a friendly battle. As a reward you gain special "Paragon" units.
    • "Warrior of Renown" - Renown reflects Ajax's growing fame and influence with Danaans. It grows when you complete special missions to avenge allies, gain top tier traits and win heroic victories. Renown improve diplomatic relations with Greeks and gives you an ability to host a celebration which forces peace between warring factions.

EDIT #2:

Equipment levels are back.

EDIT #3:

Diomedes' mechanics are:
    • "Argos' finest" a mechanic which allows you to train your own Paragons. You select unit type and select strategos (trainer - one of Epigoni) who gives special buffs.
    • "Master Strategist" a mechanic where by fulfilling special objectives against rival factions you can gain "Dominance" (unique resource for Diomedes). Dominance allows Diomedes to intimidiate other rulers.
    Last edited by RafSwi7; January 14, 2021 at 10:46 AM.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Ajax & Diomedes DLC

jax & Diomedes arrive in TROY on January 28th.

Pre-purchase now and get 10% off on Ajax & Diomedes: https://www.epicgames.com/store/prod...x-and-diomedes

Got any questions? Check out our FAQ: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-tota...-diomedes-faq/
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes FAQ

Total War Saga: TROY

Ella McConnell

January 11 2021

Ajax & Diomedes is the latest DLC for A Total War Saga: TROY, and will introduces the two eponymous Epic Heroes from Homer’s Iliad along with:

• Brand-new units
    • Powerful Paragon units
    • An exciting new battle map
    • New Epic Mission chains
    • A new special event to conquer Troy
    • And more!

For full details and to watch the trailer, head over to the Epic Games Store page.
    What is A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes?

A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes is the new Faction Pack for A Total War Saga: TROY.
    Who are Ajax and Diomedes?

Ajax and Diomedes are two legendary heroes from Homer’s Iliad who are summoned by Agamemnon’s war cry to conquer the ancient city of Troy.
    Ajax of Salamis is the shield that protects the Achaean host. A man of epic proportions, he’s known for his unsurpassed strength and is rumoured to be descended from the mythic giants. His unit roster relies on slow but very heavily equipped defensive infantry to hold the line, while his powerful missile units take advantage of protected positions. Play as Ajax and follow his path from being a warrior of Salamis to becoming Ajax the Great.
    Diomedes is the young king of Argos, who rose to the throne after his father died trying to seize the city of Thebes. Despite only being in his twenties, Diomedes is a veteran in the ways of war and has used his martial might to establish Argos as an exceedingly powerful city, second only to great Mycenae. His unit roster specializes in crushing attacks with well-rounded axe and sword infantry combined with quick flanking units able to ambush their foes from surprising locations. Play as Diomedes and help him surpass his father’s legacy by conquering Thebes and proving his tactical genius.
    What will be in the DLC?

A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes introduces:

• 2 new factions: Salamis (Ajax) and Argos (Diomedes)
    • 18 new units
    • Mighty Paragon units
    • 4 new faction mechanics
    • New special event to conquer Troy (Stealing the Palladium)
    • New Thebes campaign model and battle map

What are the new units?

There are a variety of new units in A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes, divided into two rosters.
    The Salamis units are: Ajax’s Wall, Ajax’s Companions, Island Spearmen, Locrian Slingers, Salamis Marines, Salamis Spearmen, Salamis Swordsmen, Teucer’s Bowmen, and Veteran Locrian Slingers.
    The Argos units are: Argive Axemen, Night Runners, Argive Raiders, Argive Slingers, Armoured Argive Slingers, Argive Swordsmen, Heroic Axe Runners, Renowned Axemen, and Argive Swordmasters.
    What are the Paragon units?

Paragon units are extra-special units with strong stats, attributes, and aura abilities who are led by a seasoned veteran. They are added to the game via Special Recruitment.
    Some of Ajax’s Paragons have aura abilities that buff allies in a circle around them. Others have less abilities and more raw power. They often allow Ajax to access units outside his roster – the hero Neoptolemus leads a unit of very powerful Myrmidons, for example.
    For Diomedes, the Paragons are trained by the Epigoni – sons of the heroes who fell at Thebes. Diomedes himself is one of the Epigoni, as his father met his end at the seven-gated city. Diomedes can create the Paragon unit he wants, combining a set of buffs with any regular unit from his roster.
    Will there be any free content with A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes?

Yes! As part of the DLC, we’re introducing Hephaestus, the God of Blacksmiths and Volcanoes, to the Divine Will system, as well as the Divine Craftsman Epic Agent.
    With these additions, you can replenish your army with new equipment, build a temple to Hephaestus in a settlement, and recruit units there. If you’ve already recruited units, you can move them to the temple and upgrade their equipment for a fee. Another option is to add the Divine Craftsman to an army. On each turn the agent is in the army, several units receive this equipment. The equipment increases the attack and the armour of the unit.
    We’re also releasing a new patch alongside the DLC that will fix a number of issues in the game. Details of this patch will follow soon.
    When will A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes be released?

A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes will launch on the Epic Games Store on 28th January 2021 at 3pm GMT.
    How much does A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes cost?

The A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes DLC will cost Ł7.99 / $9.99 / €9.99.
    Can I buy the DLC on Steam?

At the moment, A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes, like the main game itself, is exclusive to the Epic Games Store. When TROY launches on Steam in August 2021, A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes will be available to purchase on Steam.
    Where can I buy A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes?

To pre purchase the DLC, go to its Epic Games Store page.
    Is there a pre-purchase discount?

Yes! You’ll get a 10% discount if you pre purchase A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes before release.
    Will the DLC be released on macOS?

A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes will be released on macOS shortly after the PC version – stay tuned!

DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Citizen

In preview's Q&A it was said that Troy will have more DLCs in the future.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Why I am so excited about this? I get the same goosebumps as when I had discovered all the juicy content of the Rome 2 DLCs and was planning which ones I can afford...

I only hope they don't forget about the main factions. Usually they overpower and fill the DLC factions with content while the main ones remain unchanged and soon become "obsolete". In this case I am afraid the new guys may dominate the already struggling AI Agamemnon, just like Kush dominate the Ptolemies after the Desert Kingdoms DLC...

double post by mistake
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 13, 2022 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Double posting

Citizen

Short Ajax's description from official page of the game:

WHO IS HE?

Ajax the Great, son of legendary King Telamon, was a mountain of a man and a fierce warrior, second only to Achilles in martial prowess. With his seven–layered ox–hide shield, Ajax prevented the most grievous of losses by facing Hector in single combat and protecting the thousand ships from being burned down.

In his youth, Ajax trained together with his cousin Achilles under the teachings of the centaur Chiron, which shaped him into the Bulwark of the Achaeans, protecting his brothers in arms with his very presence. His half–brother Teucer, a famous archer, fought with him in unison, shooting down enemy Trojans from behind Ajax’s shield.

For all his battles in The Iliad, Ajax was never wounded and never received support from the gods – he earned his glory by his own colossal strength and devotion to his allies, defending fallen comrades with no thought of retreat.

PLAYSTYLE

Before he was known as the Great, Ajax was the mighty prince of Salamis, seeking to prove himself to the world as a Warrior of Renown. To demonstrate his skill and grow his reputation, Ajax must travel around the Aegean Sea and seek illustrious Paragons to engage in a contest of battle on the Path to Greatness.

A noble fighter at heart, Ajax believes that not every battle must end on the shores of the Styx – once defeated, Paragons are convinced to join Ajax’s faction. But ceaseless war takes a toll on any man – to prevent unnecessary bloodshed, Ajax can call for funeral games to honour the souls of fallen warriors and celebrate peace between once bitter rivals.

As Ajax and Teucer fight together with shield and spear and bow, so does the roster of Salamis, comprised of heavy defensive infantry to hold the line and experts of ranged combat in comfortable protection.

START LOCATION

The island-nation of Salamis has just landed on the Peloponnese, expanding to the city of Megara. But the lack of protection in the nearby sea has left the island of Aegina to be conquered by opportunistic Akis – and Ajax has to defeat them to reclaim his territory. From there, to the east lies the Aegean, ripe for conquest.

To the south is great Mycenae, ruled by Agamemnon with whom Ajax has entered in strong alliance. To the north is the city of Athens – a strong city, who can be a friend or foe to Salamis.

WHAT KIND OF PLAYER IS HE FOR?

Ajax the Great, Bulwark of the Achaeans, is for the honourable conqueror, who protects his allies and seeks to unite his neighbours against a common enemy.

BrenZo's Avatar Foederatus

Is this going to be the last DLC for Troy?

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by BrenZo View Post
    Is this going to be the last DLC for Troy?
    They have said there will be more and that Ajax&Diomedes is not the last.

I assume that it will have new content support at least until its Steam release.

If this is the case we can see 2-3 more DLCs (plus FLCs).
    Last edited by RafSwi7; January 19, 2021 at 11:19 PM.

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes MILK plan

Black Adder
    January 14 2021

Ajax & Diomedes is the latest MILKING for A Total War Saga: TROY, and will introduce the two eponymous Epic Heroes from Homer’s Iliad along with:

• Brand-new copy/paste units
    • Powerful Paragon (means nothing) units
    • An exciting new battle map (don’t get your hopes up)
    • New Epic Mission chains (same as before)
    • A new special event to conquer Troy (a WHOLE NEW event picture)
    • And more! (nothing that really matters)

For full details and to watch the trailer, for the usual disappointment.

A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes is the new Milking Pack for A Total War Saga: TROY.

Does it matter? Ajax will be a retexture of a giant unit and Diomedes… something like that!

What will be in the DLC?

• 2 new copy/paste factions: Salamis (Ajax) and Argos (Diomedes)
    • 18 new useless units already seen
    • Mighty Paragon units (just some stats raised and pretending they’re new)
    • 4 new faction mechanics (bugs actually)
    • New special event to conquer Troy (Stealing the Palamari of the Boatman – joke just for Greeks)
    • New Thebes campaign model and battle map (it’s actually the original Thebes with more laundry drying in the wind)

What are the new units?
    Nothing you haven’t seen already!

Another name for “Nothing you haven’t seen already!“

You should feel PRIVILEGED paying us for… for… I’ll get back to this question later!

38th January 2121 at 3pm GMT.

As always, more than it’s actually worth.

Modders won’t save this game until we have our fill first!

Now that’s a tough question! Raise them wallets!!!

Well, since you ask for it, NO!

Who cares about them anyway? Windows = MONEY

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes MILK plan

Black Adder
    January 14 2021

Ajax & Diomedes is the latest MILKING for A Total War Saga: TROY, and will introduce the two eponymous Epic Heroes from HomerÂ’s Iliad along with:

• Brand-new copy/paste units
    • Powerful Paragon (means nothing) units
    • An exciting new battle map (donÂ’t get your hopes up)
    • New Epic Mission chains (same as before)
    • A new special event to conquer Troy (a WHOLE NEW event picture)
    • And more! (nothing that really matters)

For full details and to watch the trailer, for the usual disappointment.

A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes is the new Milking Pack for A Total War Saga: TROY.

Does it matter? Ajax will be a retexture of a giant unit and DiomedesÂ… something like that!

What will be in the DLC?

• 2 new copy/paste factions: Salamis (Ajax) and Argos (Diomedes)
    • 18 new useless units already seen
    • Mighty Paragon units (just some stats raised and pretending theyÂ’re new)
    • 4 new faction mechanics (bugs actually)
    • New special event to conquer Troy (Stealing the Palamari of the Boatman – joke just for Greeks)
    • New Thebes campaign model and battle map (itÂ’s actually the original Thebes with more laundry drying in the wind)

What are the new units?
    Nothing you havenÂ’t seen already!

Another name for “Nothing you haven’t seen already!“

You should feel PRIVILEGED paying us forÂ… forÂ… IÂ’ll get back to this question later!

38th January 2121 at 3pm GMT.

As always, more than itÂ’s actually worth.

Modders wonÂ’t save this game until we have our fill first!

Now thatÂ’s a tough question! Raise them wallets!!!

Well, since you ask for it, NO!

Who cares about them anyway? Windows = MONEY
    I assume that you are just salty, since this is probably the most factual incorrect thing what I have read in some time. You probably just trolling using silly hyperboles but ok, I will take the bait.

For example:
    • All playable hereos have fully unique models and at no point they are retextured.
    • Paragons are special units lead by minor hero (basically like captain units from old Rome). Both Diomedes and Ajax will gain them differently (with Diomedes being able to "craft" his own Paragon units). This is the first time in the series where we will be able to customize our units in that way.
    • If you played Troy (I assume that you did not) you will see that each faction is unique (at least half of unit roster being unique, unique campaign gameplay, unique battle playstyle). They also have distinct visual style, even in the same cultural group. For example "ordinary" spearmen for Menealaus will not look the same as the spearmen for Achilles or Agamemnon (different helmets, shields etc.).
    • As for new units, based on previews these won't be just retextures but they will brong new assets (new helmets, armors, shields etc.). As in previous point. Each roster has some distinct visual style.
    • Except for bugged Achilles mechanic at release, Heroes mechanics were so far bug free.
    • Stealing the Palladium will not be just an event picture. I base it on other ways to conquer Troy which are in the game (each of them gives you unique battle scenario).

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

The above is SARCASM/SATYR with more dose of truth than you want to admit RafSwi7.

I own Troy, and the ONLY thing worth about it are the battle maps.

Citizen

Short description of each hero from Troy page:

AJAX

WHO IS HE?

Ajax the Great, son of legendary King Telamon, was a mountain of a man and a fierce warrior, second only to Achilles in martial prowess. With his seven–layered ox–hide shield, Ajax prevented the most grievous of losses by facing Hector in single combat and protecting the thousand ships from being burned down.

In his youth, Ajax trained together with his cousin Achilles under the teachings of the centaur Chiron, which shaped him into the Bulwark of the Achaeans, protecting his brothers in arms with his very presence. His half–brother Teucer, a famous archer, fought with him in unison, shooting down enemy Trojans from behind Ajax’s shield.

For all his battles in The Iliad, Ajax was never wounded and never received support from the gods – he earned his glory by his own colossal strength and devotion to his allies, defending fallen comrades with no thought of retreat.

PLAYSTYLE

Before he was known as the Great, Ajax was the mighty prince of Salamis, seeking to prove himself to the world as a Warrior of Renown. To demonstrate his skill and grow his reputation, Ajax must travel around the Aegean Sea and seek illustrious Paragons to engage in a contest of battle on the Path to Greatness.

A noble fighter at heart, Ajax believes that not every battle must end on the shores of the Styx – once defeated, Paragons are convinced to join Ajax’s faction. But ceaseless war takes a toll on any man – to prevent unnecessary bloodshed, Ajax can call for funeral games to honour the souls of fallen warriors and celebrate peace between once bitter rivals.

As Ajax and Teucer fight together with shield and spear and bow, so does the roster of Salamis, comprised of heavy defensive infantry to hold the line and experts of ranged combat in comfortable protection.

START LOCATION

The island-nation of Salamis has just landed on the Peloponnese, expanding to the city of Megara. But the lack of protection in the nearby sea has left the island of Aegina to be conquered by opportunistic Akis – and Ajax has to defeat them to reclaim his territory. From there, to the east lies the Aegean, ripe for conquest.

To the south is great Mycenae, ruled by Agamemnon with whom Ajax has entered in strong alliance. To the north is the city of Athens – a strong city, who can be a friend or foe to Salamis.

Ajax the Great, Bulwark of the Achaeans, is for the honourable conqueror, who protects his allies and seeks to unite his neighbours against a common enemy.
    DIOMEDES

WHO IS HE?

Diomedes, son of Tydeus, was renowned as the greatest tactical mind of the Achaean effort against Troy. A seasoned veteran despite his young age, he had already participated in more battles than his peers, leading Argos to prosperity and greatness, second only to Mycenae. A champion of heroic virtues, he was the favourite of goddess Athena and was so ferocious in battle that he was said to have wounded Ares himself.

Tydeus was a hero of great fame and an Argonaut who perished before the Seven Gates of Thebes. His shadow still stretches over Diomedes, casting doubt on whether the son’s achievements will ever compare with those of the father.

Apart from his strategic mind and skills in battle, Diomedes also possessed great wisdom, acknowledged even by the elderly Nestor. No matter how mortals struggle, Diomedes knows that they cannot overcome the will of the gods and what is fated shall come to pass.

PLAYSTYLE

Victory loves preparation, a concept well known to Diomedes through his experience in waging war.

Before they ever step onto the battlefield, the finest warriors of Argos can receive special training under the tutelage of a Strategos – a veteran of war in Diomedes’ faction.
    To the master strategist, winning a war is more than a series of conquests – Diomedes seeks to strike at the weakest positions in enemy factions, crush their fighting spirit and then establish peace on terms that heavily favour Argos.

Overwhelming strength and skill in battle will only take a hero so far – with cunning and wise decisions, Diomedes’ campaign is about finding the enemy’s weakness and exacting the highest price after victory is achieved.
    When conducting war, Argos’ roster finds common theme with Ithaca, attacking from surprising positions and seeking to crush the enemy quickly, before they have a chance to regroup.

START LOCATION

Argos starts between the brothers Atreides, ready to support the Achaean host by defeating their common enemy in the Corinthians. From there, Diomedes can choose to conquer western Peloponnese or to take to the Aegean. But rumours speak of a new threat at Thebes, which will call the son of Tydeus back to the seven-gated city.

The settlement of Thyrea produces bronze, a vital starting benefit for Diomedes. The Arcadians are generally friendly neighbours, but if greed for Argos’ resources overcomes their good sense, their lands may be in better use under Argive rule.

Both a strategic mastermind and a favourite of Athena, Diomedes is for players who prefer to exploit the weaknesses of their enemies and impose their will on defeated foes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    The above is SARCASM/SATYR with more dose of truth than you want to admit RafSwi7.

I own Troy, and the ONLY thing worth about it are the battle maps.
    I am not sure if you know what sarcasm is - sarcasm is basically saying the opposite of what's true (saying for example: "You are such a great singer!" when someone is not or saying "What a surprise!" when you expect something to happen).

So, when you bash Troy and say "It is sarcasm" it means that you really like Troy.

As a satire it would be ok.

Ajax and Diomedes are two of the most well-known fixtures of the Iliad, and will soon be joining the Hero lineup of A Total War Saga: TROY as part of the Ajax & Diomedes DLC.

With this in mind, today we chat with lead designer Teodor Kozhukov about the creation and introduction of these two new Epic Heroes, covering everything from the pros of being a (maybe) giant to the thrill of crushing your enemies in an effort to outshine your father – read all about it below!

CA: Hi there! First of all, could you please introduce yourself?

Teodor Kozhukov: Hello, my name is Teodor Kozhukov, and I led the design team on the Ajax & Diomedes DLC for A Total War Saga: TROY.

CA: So what exactly did Ajax and Diomedes do during the Trojan War?

Teodor Kozhukov: Ajax and Diomedes are the two most famous characters from the Iliad who were not yet playable in the game. They were both suitors of Helen, and swore an oath which bound them to join forces with the brothers Atreides against Troy.
    Whenever the Achaeans had a problem that they couldn’t figure out how to solve, they called upon Ajax – and he never disappointed. He faced Hector in a duel three times (almost killing him with a boulder at one point), protected the body of the fallen Patroclus, and prevented the Trojans from burning Achaean ships by jumping from deck to deck and fighting them off single-handedly.

Diomedes is the first character in the Iliad to receive his so-called Aristeia – his moment of greatest accomplishment in battle – when, with the help of Athena, he wounded Aphrodite and then Ares. He also often volunteered for special military operations, such as raiding Trojan camps at night with Odysseus.

CA: Where did you start when you knew you were going to be bringing these two legendary heroes to TROY?

Teodor Kozhukov: The Iliad is by far our best source material for this DLC, and both Ajax and Diomedes are well represented in it. Their origins and culture are similar to those we’ve worked with before – they are both Achaeans, and so we had an easier time looking for historical and archaeological data about the cities of Salamis and Argos.

CA: What was it like designing Ajax? How did you go about it?

Teodor Kozhukov: Ajax was a challenge to work on, partly because of his fame. His name has countless appearances in popular culture – any time a new character with a big shield is created for an original IP, there’s a good chance that they’ll get called Ajax because he is so well known for being a defensive giant who protects his friends.

But Total War is often not a game of defending – it asks the player to go forth into the world and conquer. As such, we had to figure out a way to include defence in his gameplay as much as possible without holding the player back or compromising the sandbox of the game.

CA: And what do you think playing Ajax will offer TROY players?

Teodor Kozhukov: With Ajax, players can act as the strongest ally of the Achaeans, indirectly offering protection to friendly factions without simply standing guard in their territory. One of his faction mechanics focuses entirely on this – creating peace between multiple factions in order to shield allies from an unnecessary conflict or finding common enemies between Ajax and his allies.

CA: How did you approach designing Diomedes?

Teodor Kozhukov: Diomedes is a very interesting character because he is known as a tactical genius and the most experienced military commander despite being the youngest of the Achaean heroes. We wanted to portray a special approach to war in a time where military strategy and theory didn’t exist, so we had to find creative tactical and strategic options within the Bronze Age period.

Another big part of designing Diomedes was his relationship with his father. The Iliad has many examples of how great Tydeus was and, in comparison, how not-that-great Diomedes is – so we dedicated a lot of time and effort to giving the player the ability to rise out of this looming shadow and over the king of Argos.

CA: What kind of experience will Diomedes bring those who play him?

Teodor Kozhukov: Argos is the faction most focused on creating a plan for war. Both faction mechanics help with preparation: either building up armies with specialized Paragon units or carefully selecting valuable targets.

Apart from being ready for war, Diomedes’ faction mechanic helps with controlling conflicts. The king of Argos can use his Dominance to achieve peace on his terms, gaining a favourable deal in the process and freeing up his forces for a different direction.

CA: Tell us more about both Heroes’ new faction mechanics.

Teodor Kozhukov: From conception, we wanted both Heroes to be two sides of the same coin.

Ajax and Diomedes both use Paragon units – special elite versions of regular units who carry the name of a famous warrior. Ajax goes out into the world, challenging powerful warriors to friendly battles where no lives are lost – if Ajax wins, the opponent joins his faction as a Paragon unit, offering unique options not otherwise available in Salamis’ roster.

Diomedes gets his Paragons by selecting a unit from his regular roster and training them with a tutor called a Strategos. These veterans are all members of the Epigoni – sons of heroes who fell in a battle against Thebes (Diomedes himself was one of the Epigoni).

Their second mechanic focuses on having control over when a conflict ends. Ajax takes a friendly approach: he can gain Renown as a steadfast ally and use it to hold Celebrations – funeral games which honour fallen heroes and cause peace between selected factions. Diomedes ends wars in a much more forceful manner: by using smart strategic decisions and attacking the right targets, he gains Dominance, which he can spend to force his terms of peace on a weakened enemy faction.

CA: What will these two’s Epic mission chains look like?

Teodor Kozhukov: Ajax is most well known for his moniker “the Great”, created to set him apart from Ajax “the Lesser” of Oileus. However, we chose to explore the concept that Ajax wants his nickname to mean more than just being large, and we included his aspirations to fame in his Epic missions. The missions involve the leader of Salamis being the most reliable Hero that he can be – defeating dangerous foes so that his allies are safe from them or strengthening alliances to hold the Achaean host together. There is also a hint towards the origin of Ajax’s great size and whether he is a descendant of the mythical giants.

Diomedes’ single greatest curse is the burden of his father’s legacy – Tydeus was so great that even after his passing there was not much room to praise his son for his own achievements. The king of Argos is determined to surpass his father – and, as luck would have it, fate allows him a battle against Thebes, where a usurper unseats Thersander, one of the Epigoni. Diomedes already marched against Thebes once before, winning alongside six other heroes, but now he has the chance to do it on his own – a feat that not even Tydeus could perform.

We’ve also taken the opportunity to include as many nods to scenes from the Iliad as possible, such as Ajax’s madness and Diomedes striking down the god of war.

CA: What about the new unit rosters?

Teodor Kozhukov: The roster of Salamis is based upon the relationship between Ajax, son of Telamon, and his half brother Prince Teucer, a renowned archer. As the two siblings fight together – with the great shield protecting an accurate bow – so are their armies built, a strong line of heavy infantry that create protection for the most damaging missile units on the Danaan side of the war. The archers and slingers of Salamis have an ability called Expert Accuracy which means they can safely fire into crowds because they never deal damage to friendly units. If the enemy chooses to hang back and not engage Ajax’s line, his warriors can perform a reckless charge, gaining incredible speed for their heavy armour but forgoing defence and becoming easier targets for a flanking attack.

In order to win a battle with few casualties, Diomedes believes that he needs to strike hard and fast, making the enemy rout before a stray javelin can end a soldier’s life. The units of Argos employ vanguard deployment similar to Odysseus, but where Ithaca chooses to skirmish with the enemy and throw javelins without engaging directly Argos favours sudden charges from unexpected locations and crashing into the enemy with axe or spear. Many of Argos’ units have an ability called Ferocity, which increases their melee capabilities, as long as the units have high health – very useful when attacking, but risky if charging into the wrong target or being peppered with arrows.

CA: As is to be expected with new Heroes and factions, there’ll be new skill trees and building chains – what can you tell us about these?

Teodor Kozhukov: Ajax, unsurprisingly, is a defender – and one who can take a lot of punishment to protect weaker targets. His first skill allows him to throw boulders at enemies – a nod to one of his duels with Hector. Further down his skill tree, the giant warrior can choose to embrace madness and go berserk, unleashing his fury on the enemy but losing his regard for the lives of his allies.

Diomedes is a fighter who focuses on exploiting enemy weaknesses and debuffing targets before crushing them. His first skill is named Might of Athena, acknowledging that the goddess of wisdom favours him as she did his father. It greatly increases the rate at which Diomedes gains Aristeia, giving him much better control of when he can use his “ultimate” ability.

As for buildings, Salamis can construct fighting pits, which grant passive experience gain to units in the province and improve heavy infantry. It also unlocks access to warriors of similar stature to Ajax – whether they are actually giants or just big burly men is left to the myths.

Ajax can also build an artisan’s camp – great size is not only useful for war, but for construction and artifice as well. As an extra bonus, it grants favour with the new FLC god Hephaestus.

Argos’ buildings include a strategy camp, where Diomedes conducts meetings on planning for war. It grants favour with Athena and improves the Heroes of Argos, granting them experience and teaching in the form of a trait. The other special building is the Army Supplier – a way for Diomedes to give up a settlement’s production in favour of military bonuses.

CA: What about starting positions?

Teodor Kozhukov: Both factions neighbour Mycenae – Salamis to the north, Argos to the south. Returning players will notice that, on turn one, Aegina is no longer owned by Ajax – it has been taken by the pirates of Akis and it must be reclaimed! Following that, to the north of Salamis is Athens, which can be a strong ally or a dangerous enemy.

The regions around Argos also have changes. Corinth have taken over Erchomenos in an attempt to expand around Mycenae – but Diomedes will not let this treachery stand. After dealing with them, the road to Thebes is clear for the king of Argos to plan his assault. Apart from that, Athena’s favourite has the option of either peace or war with his western neighbour the Arcadians.

CA: Are there any new battle maps?

Teodor Kozhukov: Yes – Thebes has received special treatment as the great ancient city built by Cadmus. Legend states that the first king of Thebes followed a sacred cow – wherever the cow chose to lie down and rest, there he would build a palace. The fates had the cow stop near a mythic water spring, where Cadmus encountered a dragon spawned by Ares. After slaying the dragon, from its teeth grew the Spartoi, fierce men who are said to be the ancestors of Theban nobility.
    The city itself features seven gates, each emblazoned with the markings of a fallen hero’s shield. The settlement’s violent history has seen it be conquered and burned down multiple times, part of it remaining shattered on the battle map itself. Its size befits a fearsome garrison, and players have to carefully plan overcoming its walls. Luckily, they have many options for entry…

CA: What challenges did you face when working on A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes?

Teodor Kozhukov: We needed to think outside the box for both of the Heroes, both with making defence as a concept engaging and creating military strategy in the Bronze Age.
    We also added two factions near Mycenae, creating a dynamic with many playable Achaean factions next to each other. This reduces space in the region, and carries the risk of being forced into war with supposed allies.

CA: What is your favourite thing about this new DLC?

Teodor Kozhukov: We finally got to put two of the most famous heroes from the Iliad into our game! Aside from that, I believe we’ve given Salamis and Argos enough variety to enrich both the campaign experience of TROY and the custom battle metagame with new rosters.

CA: A tough one – if you had to choose (at Bronze Age swordpoint, let’s say): Ajax or Diomedes?

Teodor Kozhukov: This is no easy answer for anyone at our studio but, if held at the proverbial swordpoint, personally I would go with Diomedes – I want the rush of crushing my enemies, driving them before me and hearing the lamentation of their envoys as I force my terms of peace upon them.

CA: Thank you for your time! Any final words on A Total War Saga: TROY – Ajax & Diomedes?

Teodor Kozhukov: Thanks for the opportunity – I hope players have fun burning down the city of Troy with the two newest Achaean heroes!

Paragon units

Patch notes: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-tota...y-patch-1-5-0/
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 13, 2022 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Clean-up

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quite looking forward to this even though I haven't really played Troy since release. Might get into a campaign with one of the new factions over the weekend.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.