Thread: Which of these two representations of the city of Capua is the closest to how it looked like?

Default Which of these two representations of the city of Capua is the closest to how it looked like?

We see two different representations of Capua in Rome 2 Total War:

A- In the Prologue campaign: The city has walls and a river both very close and in front of the city.
    B- In the Rise of the Republic campaing: It has no walls and there is no river close to the city

My question is:
    How did Capua look like during the Samnite wars times? Did it look more or less like in the Prologue or like in the in Rise of the Republic campaign?
    Last edited by twgamer20197; January 13, 2021 at 11:16 PM.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Which of these two representations of the city of Capua is the closest to how it looked like?

How did Capua look like during the Samnite wars times? Did it look more or less like in the Prologue or like in the in Rise of the Republic campaign?
    It sat next to a river and very certainly would have been walled in that era. Off the top of my head I can't recall if being dis walled was a part of the punishment for defection to Hannibal (second punic war era). But even imperial Pompey had the basic Roman walls if not some grand defensive scheme so that seems unlikely. Certainly the river did not get up and walk away.

I suppose speculatively later wealthy republican Capua might have spilled beyond its walls and realistically by the late Republic the only threat it would face was more or less a Roman Army fighting a civil war with other Roman armies.
    Last edited by conon394; January 16, 2021 at 06:39 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.