Thread: A Small Issue w/ Celtic Voicemod

Default A Small Issue w/ Celtic Voicemod

Hello,

The new Celtic voicemod is great but I've detected a small issue.

It seems that the voice command "EXs Kingete", which means "attack", "fight them", is used for an attack, but also, it fires up often when an unit moves.

This sort of ambiguity can get noticeable and is rather out of place. I mean, it's easy to detect. Now this doesn't happen with the other voicemods, or the Romani latin voicemod which is more consistent.

So it would be good to correct it, that's all.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Foederatus

Default Re: A Small Issue w/ Celtic Voicemod

The voice line, is, I think, derived from reconstructed Proto-Celtic *ex kengetīs, meaning something akin to "go forwards!" (lit. "step out!")

Foederatus

I'm not sure how to edit a post. *Kingetos should mean something like 'warrior' in Gaulish, but it literally means 'stepper' as it derives from the verb. A strange semantic to be sure, but if this is the case it would mean instead something akin to 'move out, soldiers', I guess. I didn't make this voice mod and I don't claim any great understanding of Gaulish, I focus more on medieval Welsh in my studies, but this is my guess based on my understanding of wider Celtic philology. I think the person who made it is on the forums, perhaps they will respond.

OK, thanks for your input. Will wait for other replies.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

page 61
    "arivos"(translated by Xavier Delamarre as "Frappe-devant" "Front-Strike"
    I don't know If It would be correct, but it sounds familiar, like If I already heard it in EB... It could be declined under an imperative form or smth...? i guess EBII team already knows this inscription anyway, it comes from a Santones silver coin.

https://www.academia.edu/39550859/Le...omen_est_Omen_

Foederatus

QUOTE=VINC.XXIII;15986851]page 61
    "arivos"(translated by Xavier Delamarre as "Frappe-devant" "Front-Strike"
    I don't know If It would be correct, but it sounds familiar, like If I already heard it in EB... It could be declined under an imperative form or smth...? i guess EBII team already knows this inscription anyway, it comes from a Santones silver coin.

https://www.academia.edu/39550859/Le...omen_est_Omen_[/QUOTE]

This is a personal name, though. I don’t think it would make sense for it to be in the voice mod, and it seems like it’s gone through too many changes to be in the 3rd c. BC anyways (e.g. syncope as the root for the second element is *vanos, from the Celtic root *gwan-o-). The only other Gaulish voicelines I remember are ‘Boudi, boudi, boudi!’ which is simply ‘victory, booty’ repeated, and the element ‘Brigan’ if I remember right which could refer to I’d think either you, the player/leader as it can mean ‘powerful, mighty’, or it could refer to a hill fort. I think it occurs in multiple voice lines and the provenance of the other words in the lines it appears in isn’t clear to me, I couldn’t even give you a good idea of what the verbs are because I haven’t learned anything about Gaulish declension as I only ventured into Gaulish to understand Brittonic more. I imagine what you would find in EB2 is largely “reconstructed” anyways based on Brittonic as our Gaulish inscriptions weren’t really for military purposes.

Yes indeed its a nickname or a name, while "ar" is not really useful here, "vanos" could proceed from a verb. Verb that could be used, reconstructed, to just say "kill!" when you order a unit to attack.

Foederatus

I believe the conjugation for 2nd imp. would be *vanetīs as it is an o-stem. Who knows, perhaps it is already in there!