Thread: Wealthy Settlements

Default Wealthy Settlements

From your campaign experiences, which settlements or cluster of settlements generate significant amounts of wealth ?

From mine so far:
    • Western Anatolia and eastern Hellas + Pella
    • Cluster of Baktria, Paparomissdai, Alexandria Margane, Alexandria Ariana, Maracandra.
    • Cluster of Susa, Seleukia, Persopolis, Ekbatana and the settlement in Gabine whose name I forgot ().
    • Antioch, Salamis and Akko.
    • Cluster of Alexandria Memphis, Thebes and Pleksis.
    • All of Italia proper.
    • Karthadast and all of Sicily.

Anywhere else?

Default Re: Wealthy Settlements

Transalpine Gaul has got a strip of good mines from Bibactre in the west to Streuintia in the east. Sadly those regions are landlocked

There are a few extra that I neglected to add to my previous list:
    • Dardanion (A nice long term acquisition for Makedonia)
    • Epidamnos/Dyrrachium (Useful for any power in Hellas)
    • Armavir (Crucial for Hayastan to keep and develop)
    • Kabula (Good mines and sound stretegic location but a pain to keep for anyone except the Getai ?)
    • All of India (Especally Patala and Opiana)
    • Hekatompylos (Very hard to develop for anyone except Pahlava, Saka Rauka, Pontos and Hayastan)
    • Delminion (Good mines but hard to develop as it is a camp)
    • Rekem, Tadmur (when both are converted to settlements) and Dedan once heavily developed (Most relevant to Nabataea).

ps: The name of the settlement that I had forgotten was Gabiene.

i played many a campaign (though admittedly none of them as Rome, so cant judge Italian wealth) and one of the richest if not the richest spots is the cluster of cities in western Asia Minor: Pergamon, Sardis, Ipsos, Nikiai, Ephesus, Halicarnasos. once you upgrade economic infrastructure there, and mines in particular, you are unstoppable and can field armies that match those of factions twice, thrice your size. a very solid economic core for an empire, not to mention the fact that phalangites are also recruitable there.

A few more to add to the list (Can generate 4000+ gold per turn):
    .Pantikapaion
    .Skythiapolis
    .Khersonesos
    .Amnesia
    .Side
    .Meroe
    .Shamshut

It's not so much the wealth of a settlement but what kind of government you can put there. Any settlement you can build everything in is going to be large and rich (which imo hurts the game).

My personal record is with Persepolis which was generating over 11k/turn with a good governor, normal tax rate.

There were ideas floating around to limit the number of cities that can grow to large and huge city size iirc, this could be implemented in a similar manner to the pastoral region markers for pastoral regions with regions that can grow to huge and large city depending on the concentration of heavily and densely populated cities that were located in the region, perhaps if a particular region was only densely populated urban centres in one or two cities in a region you could make a case to limit the potential size of a settlement to city level.

I was one of the people floating the idea numerous times. Devs are not going for it.