Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changes to Section 3 to avoid vacancy of Curial Offices due to pending Appeals

Default Re: [DISCUSSION] changes to Section 3 to avoid vacancy of Curial Offices due to pending Appeals

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    All offices are currently filled good sir, though the amount of offices have varied over the years. If you want to catch up, the old Curial Information and Announcements thread is still kept up to date with the current officers and various Consul/Curator reports! If there's one thing that hasn't gone away it's the meticulous paperwork
    Interesting how it has evolved but at the same time adopted similar offices to 2005. We had Urbanis Legios, Questors, Praetors and Consuls. Our Praetors were akin to your magistrates but with global mod powers and our Consuls were admins ... one selected by the site owner/hex and one by the Curia.The office of Consul ironically assumed dictatorial powers under Sulla who disappeared into retirement (just like the real Sulla) after invalidating the first and only election of an administrator. I was going to allegedly win that but was strong armed into dropping out at which point we elected Justinian who was maybe 15 at the time. Good times. Justinian was remarkably smart and level headed for his age.

I see the citizens community has grown but you have about 35 people voting? Any reason for this?

Also, does the mandate of the Curia extend to wider site policy and direction? If so what has it done in the last 10 years.

I'm genuinely curious.

Oh and as Curator I never did the paperwork, I had an assistant hehe.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: [DISCUSSION] changes to Section 3 to avoid vacancy of Curial Offices due to pending Appeals

Quote Originally Posted by Belisarius View Post
    Interesting how it has evolved but at the same time adopted similar offices to 2005. We had Urbanis Legios, Questors, Praetors and Consuls. Our Praetors were akin to your magistrates but with global mod powers and our Consuls were admins ... one selected by the site owner/hex and one by the Curia.The office of Consul ironically assumed dictatorial powers under Sulla who disappeared into retirement (just like the real Sulla) after invalidating the first and only election of an administrator. I was going to allegedly win that but was strong armed into dropping out at which point we elected Justinian who was maybe 15 at the time. Good times. Justinian was remarkably smart and level headed for his age.

I see the citizens community has grown but you have about 35 people voting? Any reason for this?

Also, does the mandate of the Curia extend to wider site policy and direction? If so what has it done in the last 10 years.

I'm genuinely curious.

Oh and as Curator I never did the paperwork, I had an assistant hehe.
    It will be hard to condensate over 10 years of history in few lines, so I'll make it very short.
    The Curia, apart from its obvious role as the main Awarding Commitee for TWC, has a sort of "counselling" role, in the sense that it can propose modifications and improvements for itself or the site, but that the Hexagon Council always has the power to veto every Curial decision.

That happened very rarely to be honest, as of today I can only remember of 3 or 4 old amendments that remained pending and that were eventually vetoed to be removed, just for the sake of keeping the desk clean, so to say. Said the above, the Curia knows that its activity is basically limited to its own management and also in doing some sensible proposals to the Hex, therefore stuff that will be likely vetoed isn't even brought forward, at the maximum there's a general discussion about it (i.e. Curia meddling with the Staff procedures and regulations is a clear no go). Apart from this, and also because of this I guess, the Curia has been doing an excellent work in spreading out toxicity and often creating a divisive environment; none the less it still works fantastically for rewarding people with the red badge and the large awards (we also added few secondary awards for modding and for other special deeds, over the last few years) and every once in a while it comes out with a good idea, like it happened with the Post of the Fortnight.

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    All offices are currently filled good sir, though the amount of offices have varied over the years. If you want to catch up, the old Curial Information and Announcements thread is still kept up to date with the current officers and various Consul/Curator reports! If there's one thing that hasn't gone away it's the meticulous paperwork
    For the records, I've done a consistent clean up and updating of the Curia wiki and all the other related pages (Symp, Triumvirate, etc). I'm planning to review the Citizens' list page asap (once I've done with the Modding Awards), with the help of Caillagh, who already did a big work in proving the actualized list of citizens as sourced from the AdminCP
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    It will be hard to condensate over 10 years of history in few lines, so I'll make it very short.
    The Curia, apart from its obvious role as the main Awarding Commitee for TWC, has a sort of "counselling" role, in the sense that it can propose modifications and improvements for itself or the site, but that the Hexagon Council always has the power to veto every Curial decision.

That happened very rarely to be honest, as of today I can only remember of 3 or 4 old amendments that remained pending and that were eventually vetoed to be removed, just for the sake of keeping the desk clean, so to say. Said the above, the Curia knows that its activity is basically limited to its own management and also in doing some sensible proposals to the Hex, therefore stuff that will be likely vetoed isn't even brought forward, at the maximum there's a general discussion about it (i.e. Curia meddling with the Staff procedures and regulations is a clear no go). Apart from this, and also because of this I guess, the Curia has been doing an excellent work in spreading out toxicity and often creating a divisive environment; none the less it still works fantastically for rewarding people with the red badge and the large awards (we also added few secondary awards for modding and for other special deeds, over the last few years) and every once in a while it comes out with a good idea, like it happened with the Post of the Fortnight.

For the records, I've done a consistent clean up and updating of the Curia wiki and all the other related pages (Symp, Triumvirate, etc). I'm planning to review the Citizens' list page asap (once I've done with the Modding Awards), with the help of Caillagh, who already did a big work in proving the actualized list of citizens as sourced from the AdminCP
    Nuts remained clipped then.

The Decision process is interesting, it could be useful/constructive I guess if used properly through probably not if people are spreading toxicity. Might need to bring Sulla back for a day to cure that haha.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

The 'toxicity' is wildly exaggerated or at least no more than comparable to the old days, which are often over played as some fluffy picture of harmony. Which, as you know, is why the Curia was so successful. Any truthful recollection of the Curia's greatest moments are spattered with tyranny, revolution, ostrakons and clandestine collusions.

And, if I recall correctly 'gelded' was the popular term back in 'day.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    The 'toxicity' is wildly exaggerated or at least no more than comparable to the old days, which are often over played as some fluffy picture of harmony. Which, as you know, is why the Curia was so successful. Any truthful recollection of the Curia's greatest moments are spattered with tyranny, revolution, ostrakons and clandestine collusions.

And, if I recall correctly 'gelded' was the popular term back in 'day.

I got my only warning on TWC in here when I made a pun with "TacticalWithdrawal"

Was worth it.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

If you were a regular over the past few years you'd have a lot more than one warning.

Ostrakon was brought back [sic] to stem the insufferable referrals system and, to some extent, it works. Though as is the Curia's way, being content and having a system that can work does not a happy Curia make. I've been pretty convinced for years this place has to eat itself to feel useful. Irony being that few acknowledge and fewer still accept it. Hence the discontent is not seen as a force for good and so the wheel keeps turning.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I propose the creation of several fluffy offices and a bureaucratic yolk to spice things up.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Commodus View Post
    I propose the creation of several fluffy offices and a bureaucratic yolk to spice things up.
    If you are talking about bringing back the old CdeC, I really doubt that will happen, because Squid posted this and that passed. Also read this.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Well now that you mention it, it's a thought.

The passage from an earlier, more active time may not be the same context as today, where the lands are thirsty for any interaction lest the tumbleweed roll on by. Or some other soppy romantic appeal to activity. Either way, if nothing else the Curia is unceasingly competent at micromanaging itself. So perhaps it can get more opportunities to do so.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12