Thread: Romulus - Italien Series

Default Romulus - Italien Series

Has anyone seen it yet? It apparently released in Italy already in fall, in germany we got it two days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlNxi5o-VBw (the trailer is in italien, didn't find one in latin).

I watched the first episode and i have really mixed feelings. The visuals are great but i was totally confused by the story. It begins with two brother which i thought to be Romulus and Remus sind they are the grandsons of Numitor, however Romulus is apparently not even in the first season if i am correct. Maybe as a baby.

The society they depict is very strange. Although there are vestals and auguric rituals, they have rites of passage that look as if they are taken from some tribal societies from other continents. Even if they are backwater at the time, it's 800 BC and the Bronze Age is basically over in which the most mediterranean cultures were much further. At the beginning i thought i watch the movie Apocalyptico.

I watched the voice over that is meant to be old-latin but actually it's a bit of a joke compared to the care they invested in the "Barbarians" show on Netflix. I guess they have consulted researchers on this and came up with some archaic versions of some words but it is essentially classic latin spoken from Italiens and not even some form of classic vulgar latin which would have made more sense. The problem with the italiens speaking latin of course is that they pronounce the words way to soft which is why in "Barbarians" they especially looked for sicilian actors which pronounce their italien generally way closer to classic latin than the other italians. After they made such a fuss about this, i would say they failed.

As for the series itself, after one episode i have the huge problem that i have not a single character i know enough about the care for, especially after they are all not that sympathic to begin with. Together with a story that confuses and explains nothing, i am sceptical if i should continue to watch.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Romulus - Italien Series

I liked the first 2 episodes but gave up after the 4th as it started pulling the same cords as so many other TV shows

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Just read a good fiction book, it will be better.. I'll spare you the local comments about the series, they didn't even promote it here that much, I suppose it was intended not for the Italian market in any case (not mainly for it I mean)
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Looks like a missed opportunity to me. The early latium civilisation is pretty unknown to most people.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Been eyeing it for a couple of weeks but 'Barbarians' was enough of a 'based on historic events' for awhile.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

This is lame We need a large US studio to create a Byzantine Empire series.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

And not make the world like AC revelations Constantinople
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

I decided to continue watching it got a bit better. Still an okeyish series not truly great.

I still didn't like the main actor to the end and wasn't a big fan of Wiros the second main actor as well. What i did like was how the moved on with the Daughter of Mars storyline. It startet to look like very intented to etablish a heroine that could do anything she wanted but how they solved that ark was not only surprising but also were satisfying. They could have turned her in to a Mary Sue but didn't.

The character development of Wiros i didn't bought or rather that anyone would listen to him.

What confused me from the begining to the end is the names and who plays which role. So the brothers Yemos and Enitos are Romulus and Remus. Now later i found out that there is this one study by Bruce Lincoln that claims that Yemos and as suffix-form yemonos are a proto-latein form of Geminos - twin. And that both forms become Romulus and Remus. Since the guy is a scholar of religion he continues that there is of course a Kain and Abel motive etc. but whatever. The problem i have with this is that it only confuses the audience and in the end you have a series about Romulus without any explanation about who is Romulus since the name is never dropped. Second to that you are even more confused about the choice of using this suspected old-latin name since most of the other characters have the names that appear in the latin sources like Sylvia, Numitor, Amulius etc.

What confuses me also is that Remus/Enitos is not killed by Romulus/Yemus and in the end everyone knows that. If everyone knows that i wonder why later scholars would write that Romulus has killed his brother since they had no paticular reason to depict him as a bad guy. The only solution i can come up with is that they plan with a second season in which somehow Yemus kills of Wiros and Wiros and Enitos a merged in to one person in history. Still it all lacks the final consequence and is limited on those 3 characters.

As for the Rumia and children of the forest stuff. Sure why not. I still don't understand why it is said that those people are of Oscan descent and what relevance it has but okey.

Proud to be a real Prussian.