Thread: Come and Visit Philippines <3

Default Come and Visit Philippines <3

Anyone been here in the Philippines?

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default Re: Come and Visit Philippines <3

Only around Visayas. Are you from Manila?

I miss the lovely goats patrolling streets and dogs doing sunbath on the middle of road.

Yeah I'm from Manila. Try to visit the part of Luzon, you'll see more lovely place around there.
    Where you've been in Visayas?

I know some guys who vacationed in the Philippines and showed me pictures from their trip. They rented some motorcycles and rode around to see some small towns and places of natural beauty. I believe they started out from Manila so it must have been Luzon. Pretty impressive stuff and it sure looks very different from here .

One thing I remember is that they told me that the food was different from what they had imagined. It wasn't as spicy as in many other places in Asia and showed a lot of influence from other cuisines such as Spanish. One of my favorite restaurants here is a Filipino one and I know that they are masters of delicate seasoning; full of flavor and the spices do not hide or overwhelm the natural flavors of fresh ingredients. Never had an average experience there; it is always really good but hard to get a table during lunch time because it is so popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I know some guys who vacationed in the Philippines and showed me pictures from their trip. They rented some motorcycles and rode around to see some small towns and places of natural beauty. I believe they started out from Manila so it must have been Luzon. Pretty impressive stuff and it sure looks very different from here .

One thing I remember is that they told me that the food was different from what they had imagined. It wasn't as spicy as in many other places in Asia and showed a lot of influence from other cuisines such as Spanish. One of my favorite restaurants here is a Filipino one and I know that they are masters of delicate seasoning; full of flavor and the spices do not hide or overwhelm the natural flavors of fresh ingredients. Never had an average experience there; it is always really good but hard to get a table during lunch time because it is so popular.
    Yes, Manila is located in Luzon part of the Philippines. Filipinos are good in cooking. What Filipino dish is your favorite?

With my limited experience, I cannot claim much understanding of the many options in Filipino cuisine, but one thing I have enjoyed above others are the various fish sarsiados. Here they may use salmon instead of white fish as well; I am fine with both. The various pancit dishes and fish or shrimp sinigang are favorites too. I'll take a photo of the dish and post it here the next time I have Filipino food!

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by AoRun View Post
    Yeah I'm from Manila. Try to visit the part of Luzon, you'll see more lovely place around there.
    Where you've been in Visayas?
    Only around western Visayas due to my previous work. Saw some cool places on magazines but never had the chance to visit Luzon

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I'll take a photo of the dish and post it here the next time I have Filipino food!
    Kainan in Espoo?

I miss their American restaurants. Huge plate of fat pork grilled in 3 different styles plus beer was the only reason I woke up on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Kainan in Espoo?

I miss their American restaurants. Huge plate of fat pork grilled in 3 different styles plus beer was the only reason I woke up on weekends.
    Haha! Thank you for the recommendation. I was unaware of the Filipino restaurant in Espoo. Looks like I have to take a trip west using the new metro line. What are the American restaurants that you are referring to?

I have been eating in Pobre and looking forward to Paisano, both downtown Helsinki.
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; May 03, 2021 at 03:18 PM.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Just their typical American places serving hybrid Filipino food and beer; always open around 9-10 am, right in time for breakfast

Thanks for the two. Thought Kainan is the only one, now I'm starving!

I also love fish sarsiado. <3
    fish with soup and egg