Thread: Has anyone been playing this on Mac in the last couple years?

Default Has anyone been playing this on Mac in the last couple years?

Id really love to get this mod on my Steam version of MTW2 for Mac but having some difficulty. If anyone whose been able to get this mod working on their Mac relatively recently has the time, Im just wondering about a few details concerning how you did it. Im not looking for detailed instructions but just want to know if you had to use Wine to get the mod installer working or if there is a way to bypass that. If you can recall where you found the link, if it was a zip download, etc. The official instructions are kind of a pain to read through and not very helpful, but if anyone can drop a little info then Id probably be able to figure it out. I managed to get EB1 on an older Mac a few years back so Im sure I could swing this too. Thank you so much!

Default Re: Has anyone been playing this on Mac in the last couple years?

I've been running on a Mac for years. I originally followed the installation instructions as written. My understanding is that wine is no longer supported by Big Sur so that might be your problem. Another route is to run using a windows emulator (such as Parallels). Downsides are cost (you need to own a copy windows and the emulator software) and speed but I've run this way as well and in some ways it works better (particularly custom settlements work). A third potential way (if you have a windows copy) is to install on windows and then copy the ebii folder into your mods folder on your Mac installation. I think this works (assuming you follow the post-installation mac instructions regarding the settlements fold and no banner mesh file) although its been awhile since I tried this. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
    I've been running on a Mac for years. I originally followed the installation instructions as written. My understanding is that wine is no longer supported by Big Sur so that might be your problem. Another route is to run using a windows emulator (such as Parallels). Downsides are cost (you need to own a copy windows and the emulator software) and speed but I've run this way as well and in some ways it works better (particularly custom settlements work). A third potential way (if you have a windows copy) is to install on windows and then copy the ebii folder into your mods folder on your Mac installation. I think this works (assuming you follow the post-installation mac instructions regarding the settlements fold and no banner mesh file) although its been awhile since I tried this. Hope this helps.
    Guess I should have said Im running the game on Steam. I do have BigSur unfortunately so I guess Im ed. Figures.

Get the Feral Interactive version of M2TW Kingdoms and follow the Mac install instructions. Problem is, the game tends to crash in the following cases:

When the Seleucids use Arabian East Coast Levies in battle
    When the Ptolemies use Hellenistic Native Spearmen in battle
    When the battle is a sally battle from a sub-2000 population settlement
    Randomly during a battle involving a far-east faction (Baktria, Saka, Taksashila)

It's definitely less stable than the Windows version

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    Get the Feral Interactive version of M2TW Kingdoms and follow the Mac install instructions. Problem is, the game tends to crash in the following cases:

When the Seleucids use Arabian East Coast Levies in battle
    When the Ptolemies use Hellenistic Native Spearmen in battle
    When the battle is a sally battle from a sub-2000 population settlement
    Randomly during a battle involving a far-east faction (Baktria, Saka, Taksashila)

It's definitely less stable than the Windows version
    Yeah I got it working last week and am discovering some of the CTD problems. Its a shame. Might have to just go back to EB1.

I’ve been able to run EB2 on Mac without many problems. My PC struggles with running it for whatever reason,so Mac is what I go with.

You don’t need wine, I downloaded the .7z and extracted the folder.

I run it through steam. I’m guessing you should already be able to access your library/application support/steam and all that, and that you’ve put the ebii folder inside it. Medieval 2 go to properties>general>set launch options and type —features.mod=mods/ebii. I’m guessing you might already know this.

What I’ve learned is that you have to remove the settlements folder from ebii. As of now, no one has fixed them. It’s a shame. You will have out of place vanilla city maps instead. It’s initially immersion breaking, but after a while you learn to ignore it. It’s apparently a bug with the gate animations or something, and if you don’t remove it then any settlement battle will result in a CTD.

For the no_banner.mesh, I took it out and put in a folder called “banners” (you have to create this folder). I then put that folder in the regular Medieval 2 data folder (Medieval2Data/data).

Sorry if this was a regurgitation of other instructions, but I thought it’s worth mentioning just in case you’ve missed something. If you need more specifics just ask. I’ve had ebii for years this way through a couple versions and this method has always worked quite well.
    Last edited by Hirtius; January 09, 2021 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirtius View Post
    I’ve been able to run EB2 on Mac without many problems. My PC struggles with running it for whatever reason,so Mac is what I go with.

You don’t need wine, I downloaded the .7z and extracted the folder.

I run it through steam. I’m guessing you should already be able to access your library/application support/steam and all that, and that you’ve put the ebii folder inside it. Medieval 2 go to properties>general>set launch options and type —features.mod=mods/ebii. I’m guessing you might already know this.

What I’ve learned is that you have to remove the settlements folder from ebii. As of now, no one has fixed them. It’s a shame. You will have out of place vanilla city maps instead. It’s initially immersion breaking, but after a while you learn to ignore it. It’s apparently a bug with the gate animations or something, and if you don’t remove it then any settlement battle will result in a CTD.

For the no_banner.mesh, I took it out and put in in a folder called “banners”. I then put that folder in the regular Medieval 2 data folder (Medieval2Data/data).

Sorry if this was a regurgitation of other instructions, but I thought it’s worth mentioning just in case you’ve missed something. If you need more specifics just ask. I’ve had ebii for years this way through a couple versions and this method has always worked quite well.
    No, thank you for any input! I love this game and have been playing EB1 on my old Mac for years. I did get the game working but it seemed to me that sieges and sallies are just out of the question which is unfortunate because I love a good siege, either defense or offense. Well, mostly defense but still. Did you get any such battles at all? Im considering reinstalling today and seeing if I screwed up somewhere. Thank You!

Foederatus

I've never had any problems with playing the mod on Mac by doing the same steps Hirtius provides, although I would add that the settings the scripted .bat file always defaults to are impossible to get without editing the .cfg file directly and setting it to read-only, else some of the settings will reset upon launching the game again. The .7z on europabarbarorum.com should be the default way to install it especially for Mac, there's no reason to have installers for mods anymore anyways IMO as I would guess anyone who is still playing this game has been using computers for a decade or more and must know how to do basic computer things like access the mod folders etc. I hope 2.35a is 7-zipped as well.

Quote Originally Posted by benfras View Post
    I've never had any problems with playing the mod on Mac by doing the same steps Hirtius provides, although I would add that the settings the scripted .bat file always defaults to are impossible to get without editing the .cfg file directly and setting it to read-only, else some of the settings will reset upon launching the game again. The .7z on europabarbarorum.com should be the default way to install it especially for Mac, there's no reason to have installers for mods anymore anyways IMO as I would guess anyone who is still playing this game has been using computers for a decade or more and must know how to do basic computer things like access the mod folders etc. I hope 2.35a is 7-zipped as well.
    No issues aside from the seemingly common CTDs when starting a siege or sally? If so you then you are giving me hope! Im going to attempt to reinstall and I will follow your advice. Thank You!

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by St.Andrew View Post
    No issues aside from the seemingly common CTDs when starting a siege or sally? If so you then you are giving me hope! Im going to attempt to reinstall and I will follow your advice. Thank You!
    The only crashes I've had are after really big battles (probably 15k or more men). I just played a sally battle as Pontus against the Ptolemaic army the script sends you and it's fine. I've taken the liberty of uploading the fixed .cfg file for your convenience. If you're using the Steam version however I'm not sure where you'd place it, I've also attached the path I find it in from the App Store application.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 7.20.12 pm.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	363319medieval2.preference.Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics.cfg.zip

Quote Originally Posted by benfras View Post
    The only crashes I've had are after really big battles (probably 15k or more men). I just played a sally battle as Pontus against the Ptolemaic army the script sends you and it's fine. I've taken the liberty of uploading the fixed .cfg file for your convenience. If you're using the Steam version however I'm not sure where you'd place it, I've also attached the path I find it in from the App Store application.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 7.20.12 pm.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	363319medieval2.preference.Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics.cfg.zip
    Awesome. Thank you. I really appreciate that. One more question. Which OS are you running? I have Big Sur.

Foederatus

Awesome. Thank you. I really appreciate that. One more question. Which OS are you running? I have Big Sur.
    I'm on Big Sur too.

No, thank you for any input! I love this game and have been playing EB1 on my old Mac for years. I did get the game working but it seemed to me that sieges and sallies are just out of the question which is unfortunate because I love a good siege, either defense or offense. Well, mostly defense but still. Did you get any such battles at all? Im considering reinstalling today and seeing if I screwed up somewhere. Thank You!
    Did you remove the settlements folder? If you do, you can still play sallies and sieges. However, sallies and sieges are going to be a bit wacky and wonky. You will need to learn how to properly maneuver units with the weird buildings and streets. Unfortunately, it’s pretty terrible. That being said, they are still battles and they can still matter. My advice is to concentrate your troops in the square in defensive battles, or rush and attack from different streets in an offensive battle. You can still win against tough odds, so it’s still worth doing when the odds aren’t overwhelming.
    Last edited by Hirtius; January 09, 2021 at 01:17 PM.

I can confirm that everything works fine in wine and you don't need to delete the settlements folder or anything like that. That doesn't help you at all if wine is no longer supported, though. I had no idea Mac was no longer supported, that's nuts. A quick search notes that there are alternative unsupported Wine distributions like PlayOnMac that might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirtius View Post
    Did you remove the settlements folder? If you do, you can still play sallies and sieges. However, sallies and sieges are going to be a bit wacky and wonky. You will need to learn how to properly maneuver units with the weird buildings and streets. Unfortunately, it’s pretty terrible. That being said, they are still battles and they can still matter. My advice is to concentrate your troops in the square in defensive battles, or rush and attack from different streets in an offensive battle. You can still win against tough odds, so it’s still worth doing when the odds aren’t overwhelming.
    I did remove the folder but was still having CTDs when trying to battle in settlements.

I did remove the folder but was still having CTDs when trying to battle in settlements.
    My first thought would be to get rid of M2TW, reinstall it, and follow all the steps. Make sure you’ve followed the steps for the no_banner.mesh, if that’s not moved it could be a source of similar issues.

If that doesn’t work, it might be helpful to know your specs. It might be that you need to lower some graphics settings to make it work. For some reason beyond my understanding, my PC experiences crashes with EB2 due to graphics being too high. I’ve not had a problem with my Mac, but my Mac might be better optimized for it. However, if your Mac is older and not as powerful it might have struggles. Try lowering the graphics to bare minimum to see if it works.
    Last edited by Hirtius; January 09, 2021 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks for the help; I don't see these instructions anywhere on the eb2 homepage. Still playing this on Mac. Just got a brand new M1 Mac mini, running the latest OS. Amazingly, the game still works.

I take it back, siege assault battles aren't working in custom battles or campaign. In fact, the game crashes the moment I try to press "city" in the custom battle setup. I've already removed the settlements folder and moved no_banner.mesh, so idk. This was working fine on my last Mac.