Thread: Huge turn times

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Default Huge turn times

Hey, I have come across new issues, hopefully someoe has some tips? The usual turns in my mod are between 1-2 minutes (as in other mods with lot of scripts etc), but it appears, that as the turns goes, the turn times increase and incease, and some ppl for example reported that around turn 70 it takes almost 10 minutes (while for m its about 5 mins, still crazy). It seems that its caused by my dungeon faction (if its killed, the turn times return to normal), which is completely inactive, just sitting in forts (dungeons), so no idea how. The delay however never happens at dungeon turn, but always at slaves turn/the last faction turn.
    So it must be sonething that happens at end of turn... any ideas?i tried removing some triggers that were happening before and after the long gaps in the logs... but didnt seem to do anything...

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Huge turn times

Try it the traditional way - lift FoW and follow the AI to see what might cause the delay. Often it's scripting that involves moving characters and playing out their animations, like the infamous 'region switching' via auto resolve siege battles. The 'bribe' animation of diplomats and princesses is a culprit as well.

Have a look into the faction set up of your dungeon faction as well and check for related scripting.

Callistonian's Avatar Ducenarius

If you could provide some more information about any scripts related to this dungeon faction, it would help us diagnose the problem. What exactly do you mean by "turn times return to normal"? Normal relative to what?

Based on the information you provided, I'm envisioning a faction that has a bunch of characters in forts around the map and a script that monitors the 'aliveness' of these characters in the forts. If these monitors terminate when the characters die, then killing the dungeon faction should result in an immediate decrease in turn times simply because you've terminated a bunch of monitors (monitors having the largest impact on turn times, in my experience). Turn times are also dependent on the number of factions alive on the map (even if the faction in question is frozen, I suspect all the other faction AI's still have to make decisions regarding them), so killing one of them will cause a decrease. This doesn't explain why the turn times would be ballooning so dramatically within 70 turns, but it potentially explains why you're seeing a drop in turn times when you kill the dungeon faction.

If these hypothetical terminated monitors are using events during the slave faction's turn or the start of the first human faction's turn, then the delay will appear during the slave faction's turn. If the dungeon faction itself is frozen and has no monitors firing on its turn, then we don't expect to see any delay during their turn.

AI turn times naturally increase due to the greater amount of stuff on the map as the campaign progresses, as Gignatus said. But this doesn't account for your dramatic increases. There are only a few ways I can think of to continuously increase AI turn times via script and they all involve calling a function more and more times as the turn number increases. 1) Using wait or campaign_wait commands, 2) doing something with a character on the map (moving, attacking a settlement, etc.). And the script says, "on turn 1 call the function once, on turn 2 call the function twice, etc." or something like that. I don't see how someone would write such a script, even accidentally, but it would explain why the turn times are ballooning.

As a bit of general advice, I'd recommend optimizing your campaign_script if you haven't already. This means combining monitors that check basically the same events and conditions. I did this for my mod and reduced the number of monitors from ~1,500 to ~750 and turn times dropped by almost exactly 50%. You can still have "lots of scripts" on a max-dimensions map without needing super long turn times.

Blog Entries

Jadli just 'told' me on discord the reason on discord, at least I think it is the reason: the mod retires and respawns princesses that are being used as labels for forts. We made the same error in 1648 when we implemented that in this way.

Not only does it increase turn times it also bloats the save until the game cannot read it anymore - the reason being the ever increasing number of labels\names instances at an unprecedented pace.

Instead of retiring and respawning have a terminated monitor with the initial spawns and then a second monitor with a simple character exists check before spawning. That will reduce nearly all symptoms from it, preceding it with a 'move' command ensures that the label gets back in place should the princess have been tossed around:
    Code:
    if not I_CharacterExist [name]
       spawn_character [faction], [name], princess, age 16, x, y
    end_if
    if I_CharacterExist [name]
       console_command move_character "[namel]" x, y ; will play out moving animation
       reposition_character "[namel]" x, y   ; instantly
    end_if

Edit: changed move to reposition due to animation playing out, moved reposition to bottom to avoid error messages in log due to absent character.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 31, 2020 at 10:55 PM.

I considered that might have been the reason, but he didn't mention the forts were named. The correct solution to that problem is to use an agent that isn't in the family tree.

Blog Entries

He mentioned it to me on discord but did not specify the agent used. Commonly a princess (of a frozen faction) is used as it doesn't have any passive effects, (the witch you use will affect non heretic characters in the vicinity) the main issue of retiring and respawning however still remains regardless what agent is used.
    Spawning any agent, including the named character, does not attach them to the family tree, they remain plain agents unless the 'family' attribute is used in the spawn, which is not possible for any agent other then the named character afaik. I ran a test right now by spawning a princess for England after removing Henry to open a child slot: the agent was not added to the tree even in the turn after the spawn. Adding 'family' to the spawn caused a script error, eg the whole script failed.

Given that several dozen will have been used as labels it would present a challenge to actually get named characters into a family tree, due to the required free child slot.

I'll have to review my fairly old guide to see how I handled the spawning issue in there and if needed will correct it.

We had a similar discussion in the thread under the post you linked to.

1. You can respawn an agent with the same name, providing his predecessor does not exist anymore, eg is dead. Using a female agent will reduce duplicate name errors significantly if an 'active' faction is used, see #2
    2. Using the slave faction can lead to all sorts of issue, most of them related to the naming as you will have rebel spawns, as well as heretic and witch spawns unless you disable the latter. The naming issue can be avoided by using a princess instead of a witch, regardless whether the faction allows princesses, it merely requires an entry in descr_characters and a supporting descr_model_strat entry.
    3. Retiring and respawning will increase turn times as well as bloat the save until it can't be loaded anymore. It depends on the number of agents used, but it will happen - the same reason why excessivly long games or games with huge numbers of starting characters will eventually become unplayable - every character's name is kept in memory, regardless of duplication.
    4. Actually using the move command will also have an impact as it plays out the animation of moving from one position to the next, reposition should be used. I amended my code snippet. The reposition should also be after the spawn to avoid error messages.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 31, 2020 at 11:19 PM.

We already addressed all of these issues in the thread I linked to.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Commonly a princess (of a frozen faction) is used as it doesn't have any passive effects, (the witch you use will affect non heretic characters in the vicinity)
    How does the witch affect non-heretic characters? Her religious conversion has been disabled in descr_campaign_db and she's dead during the slave faction's turn (hence can't convert anything). Because she's moved into the fort, there is no way to kill her with a priest/inquisitor or interact with her in any way whatsoever. By contrast, if you spawn a princess one tile above the fort, then she can be interacted with unless every named fort on the map is next to pockets of inaccessible terrain and even so she would still be "visible" (even with invisible strat model) and "selectable" (in the sense of selecting foreign characters using the red X).

Spawning any agent, including the named character, does not attach them to the family tree, they remain plain agents unless the 'family' attribute is used in the spawn, which is not possible for any agent other then the named character afaik. I ran a test right now by spawning a princess for England after removing Henry to open a child slot: the agent was not added to the tree even in the turn after the spawn. Adding 'family' to the spawn caused a script error, eg the whole script failed.
    The princesses you're spawning may not be visible in the family tree, but our speculation in the other thread was that the game is still somehow "associating" them with the family tree. raubak and I already confirmed that disabling the family tree in your original script resolves the issue of ballooning turn times and save file size hence the inference that the princess is somehow associated with the family tree. It's possible that there is no connection to princesses and that the same thing would happen for any other agent type as long as the dummy faction has a family tree - just another reason to use the slave faction or disable the family tree for the dummy faction.

1. You can respawn an agent with the same name, providing his predecessor does not exist anymore, eg is dead. Using a female agent will reduce duplicate name errors significantly if an 'active' faction is used, see #2
    2. Using the slave faction can lead to all sorts of issue, most of them related to the naming as you will have rebel spawns, as well as heretic and witch spawns unless you disable the latter. The naming issue can be avoided by using a princess instead of a witch, regardless whether the faction allows princesses, it merely requires an entry in descr_characters and a supporting descr_model_strat entry.
    The script kills the preceding witch each turn so there's no problem respawning. Witches are also female hence there is no conflict with the slave faction's names list since the slave faction does not randomly spawn princesses or witches in my mod. Obviously, if your mod does have randomly spawned princesses or witches for the slave faction, then you would you would need to use a dummy faction with a different female names list, but in that case you could still use witches (since witches don't do anything whereas you may want to use the marriage- and diplomacy-capable princesses for script purposes).

3. Retiring and respawning will increase turn times as well as bloat the save until it can't be loaded anymore. It depends on the number of agents used, but it will happen - the same reason why excessivly long games or games with huge numbers of starting characters will eventually become unplayable - every character's name is kept in memory, regardless of duplication.
    This was the main objection we addressed in the other thread. I already did extensive testing (and provided the relevant data) to confirm that continuously killing and respawning princess/witches does not bloat file size unless the dummy/slave faction has a family tree. raubak also confirmed this.

4. Actually using the move command will also have an impact as it plays out the animation of moving from one position to the next, reposition should be used. I amended my code snippet. The reposition should also be after the spawn to avoid error messages.
    My script uses the move_character command and has no impact on turn times. If it were playing walking animations for ~200 witches every slave turn, I suspect I would know about it. Have you tested using reposition_character? It's failing to move the agent into the fort in my tests.

Blog Entries

The 'near character' issue isn't a default\agent issue, my bad, it's based on traits, example:
    Code:
    Trigger agents56
        WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart

Condition HighestAttAdjacentChar Magic witch > 0
              and HighestAttAdjacentChar Magic witch < 4

Affects StrickenSilly  1  Chance  33
    I'll have to go through the whole thread to completely refresh my memory, looks like I am mixing something up. As it looks simply disabling the family tree option in the (otherwise not used) faction should have solved the 1648 issue? That would be a great fix for Jadli as I think he does not require a family tree for that faction to start with.
    'Reposition' does not allow a placement into a settlement\fort, for that 'move' is required. I usually do a reposition on top of the fort\settlement which results in the character to 'slide off' onto the nearest available spot and then I follow up with a 'move' using the same co-ords which is nearly instant, eg barely any animation. The method basically guarantees that there are no obstacles\characters between the agent and the fort to impede the move. Wasn't there a killing issue if you have the 'label' agent inside a fort, or at least a displacement? Having them just above the fort still displays the label below it.
    Come to think of it - animations are only an issue if the character is not inside the FoW.

Something only vaguely related: afaik enabling any family tree for the special (slave) faction actually crashes the game.
    Last edited by Gigantus; January 01, 2021 at 03:35 AM.

I'm not sure what this 'near character' issue is about.

As it looks simply disabling the family tree option in the (otherwise not used) faction should have solved the 1648 issue? That would be a great fix for Jadli as I think he does not require a family tree for that faction to start with.
    Yes, disabling the family tree should fix the ballooning turn times and save file size in your original script. But there are other benefits to using my modified version: 1) frees up a faction slot otherwise used for the dummy faction, 2) no dummy faction showing up in the rankings/diplomacy scrolls, 3) no need to freeze the dummy faction, 4) witches aren't useful for anything whereas princesses can be quite useful for scripts, 5) witches are automatically killed when the fort is garrisoned with a character (I believe the original thread mentions that princesses pop out of the fort and stand around on the map afterwards).

'Reposition' does not allow a placement into a settlement\fort, for that 'move' is required. I usually do a reposition on top of the fort\settlement which results in the character to 'slide off' onto the nearest available spot and then I follow up with a 'move' using the same co-ords which is nearly instant, eg barely any animation. The method basically guarantees that there are no obstacles\characters between the agent and the fort to impede the move.
    So you're spawning (presumably a few tiles away), repositioning onto the fort, then moving into the fort? I think you will achieve the same result by spawning directly on top of the fort, agent slides off, then move inside - no need for the reposition step. In my script, I spawn a few tiles away and then move_character into the fort. This is instantaneous even if the whole process is within the line of sight of the local faction and the agent makes it into the fort even if it's completely surrounded by armies or under siege. If it were possible to block the agent from making it into the fort (and afaik, it's not), the only solution I see would be to test I_CharacterTypeNearTile and if it returns false, kill the agent immediately - this would be another reason to use witches instead of princesses, we know there aren't any other witches on the map.

Wasn't there a killing issue if you have the 'label' agent inside a fort, or at least a displacement? Having them just above the fort still displays the label below it.
    I don't think spawning the agent one tile above the fort is viable. I don't know how you managed to get their label to display in the correct spot relative to the fort, but you would still have to mouse over the tile above the fort instead of the fort itself for the label to be displayed. And you would have to put splotches of inaccessible terrain above every named fort on the map to prevent anything from interacting with the agent. And the agent would still be selectable. If we spawn the agent inside the fort, yes, they will die if a character (doesn't apply to captains) moves into the fort, but this is a very minor inconvenience since the agent is respawned every turn. If the agent is inside the fort, they can't be selected, they don't show up in the agents tab for the fort, the name displays correctly when mousing over the fort itself - the illusion is much more complete.

The agents don't have labels in my script. I don't think it's possible to assign a label using spawn_character. You can assign labels using spawn_army, but I don't see any merits in using the spawn_army trick for a named forts script.

Blog Entries

Sorry about using 'labels' without being clear - we used to call the spawned agents themselves labels as their name labeled the forts. We also used the permanent name display instead of the 'mouse over' method.
    We tried creating inaccessible terrain to spawn the agent on but it looked very 'artificial' when it was encompassed by the green movement range. With the reposition I was slightly off topic, I was describing a general approach to get a character into a fort\settlement and not the one for this particular method: in our case the spawn co-ords would be the space 'North' of the fort and because of possible interaction we would then use the reposition command at slave turn end.

The whole issue is however moot if the respawn method does indeed work without side effects: spawn on top and move in will do the deed. Kill, rinse and repeat. In our case we had the luxury of two surplus faction slots which we made full use of. One for 'labels' and one for scripting, mostly for the unique name scripting to allow 'historic' battles triggered on the strat map using main character names.

The 'near character' trigger I posted is from the default EDCT and will fire if a character is close to a witch (next or shared in fort here) and the character will obtain the trait with all it's negative effects during his faction's turn. It is religion independent, please ignore my earlier 'non heretic' specification. If you use witches then you will need to disable these triggers, there are three in total I believe. Simply search for AdjacentChar Magic if your mod's EDCt is build on the default file.

If I'm not mistaken, the 'permanent name display' method uses the UI (CTRL + N by default) to toggle character names. This still works if the witch is inside the fort. Since settlement names are toggled off by default, I think it's fine to have fort names toggled off as well.

I'm glad I've finally convinced you to ditch the whole 'spawn above the fort, only respawn when dead' setup. In actual fact, I've merely convinced you to go back to your original script! Hopefully you also see the merits of using witches instead of princesses and the slave faction instead of a dummy faction - although if you already have the script setup using princesses and a dummy faction, simply disabling the family tree should suffice.

Gaming Emeritus

Thanks for the interest guys! Seems the name labels might be it then

Started the thread when I was kind of in a haste, so sorry for incomplete information.... So yea, the dungeon faction (not rebels) is the same faction as the one that is being used to create name labels. The faction is inactive, freezed via freeze_faction_ai command. Apart from the invisible princessess, that are being used as name labels, there are no scripts for this faction. It has a bunch of starting armies in starting forts (dungeons) and each has name, the characters are being picked for dungeon missions (assassinate_general type based on attributes) automatically via missions mechanics, so yea, it must probably be the spawning of princesses/name labels. To do that, I followed Gig's name labels tutorial. Hence the script part is
    Code:
    monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
            campaign_wait 0.1
            spawn_character    papal_states Dungeon, princess, age 16, x 228, y 151
            console_command move_character Dungeon 228 151
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionIsLocal
            retire_characters papal_states princess
    end_monitor
    There is almost 150 name labels.... the faction already has no family tree, so that is surely not a possible solution.

I will now go over what you guys have said and see if I can fix this, and let you know

EDIT
    So Im supposed to do it like this, right? With no retiring...

Code:
            campaign_wait 0.1
        terminate_monitor
    end_monitor

if not I_CharacterExist [name]
          end_if

if I_CharacterExist [name]
              console_command move_character Dungeon 228 151
          end_if
    end_monitor
    Last edited by Jadli; January 01, 2021 at 03:33 PM.

Princesses are going to be 'interactable' no matter how you cut it. Even if you move them back into the fort at the start of every human faction's turn, they will still get "bumped out" when any character is moved into the fort, at which point they will become interactable. This is particularly problematic for princesses because they're capable of diplomacy, that is, diplomacy with the dummy faction.

My answer is going to be the same until a better method is identified: just do this. No impact on turn times, no ballooning save file size, no agents outside of forts.

Gaming Emeritus

Yes, princesses/witches are a separate thing, I will prob change princesses to witches later, I was just looking at how to fix the turn times... just switching princesses to witches wouldnt cut it, as the there still would be 150 new characters every turn anyway...

Anyways, the name labels are definitely an origin of the turn delay, I tried deleting just the name label part of the script and that fixed the turn times. Gonna adjust the script now, but it will surelly still minimalize the turn times

You're not adding 150 new characters every turn if you retire them. I know, because it works in my mod without increasing save file size or turn times. Is this because the faction I'm using has no family tree or because it has the slave_faction special type in descr_sm_factions? I don't know.

Both raubak and I used the slave faction for spawning and retiring so it's possible we misattributed the success of the script to the lack of a family tree when in actuality it was something hard coded with the slave_faction tag that keeps respawned character data from being saved. His post indicates that the family tree is explicitly what causes the problem, implying that he tested toggling the tree off to resolve it, but you're directly contradicting this when you say your dungeons faction has 'no' family tree and yet the problem persists. In either case, I believe the best solution is still to use witches with the slave faction - continuously spawn and retire.

If you absolutely insist on using princesses with a dummy faction, then Gigantus' solution you have in the edit on post #12 (only respawn when agent dies by other means) will work as far as delaying the ballooning of turn time and save file size, but you still end up with interactable princesses.

Blog Entries

I am vacillating between the absence of a family tree and the use of the 'special_faction' entry for the reason to prevent the ballooning of the save when using the retire\respawn approach. As a witch is unlikely to be connected to a family tree I am tending more to the special_faction as being the reason, or a combination of both but not the tree on it's own.

And I repeat my advice about using witches - disable the trait triggers that contain AdjacentChar Magic to avoid characters from other factions being near the witches (in the forts) to pick up those traits. Underneath the trait they can pick up from the code I copied in post #8:
    Code:
    Trait StrickenSilly
        Characters family

Level Warts
            Description Warts_desc
            EffectsDescription Warts_effects_desc
            Threshold  1 

Effect Command -1 
            Effect TroopMorale -1 

Level Flatulant
            Description Flatulant_desc
            EffectsDescription Flatulant_effects_desc
            Threshold  2 

Effect Command -2 
            Effect Authority -1 
            Effect TroopMorale -2 

Level Boil-ridden
            Description Boil-ridden_desc
            EffectsDescription Boil-ridden_effects_desc
            Threshold  3 

Effect Piety -1 
            Effect Command -3 
            Effect Authority -2 
            Effect TroopMorale -3
    Last edited by Gigantus; January 01, 2021 at 10:50 PM.

Gaming Emeritus

Yes, thanks, did all that, used your script and used the witches, so hopefully everything will be as perfect as possible now (tho will rather run a test later in game to test the turn times, one never knows)

To the topic, I assume that based on what you found out, the conclusion is that the names "are not saved" for any slave characters, right? Or only for agents? Or just witches?

Definitely run the test and post your data here. I posted my results in the other thread for ~50 turns with over 200 named forts. I'm guessing that's going to be towards the upper limit on number of named forts (since we only have 200 regions) but it would be good to get data over a longer period.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    [...]the conclusion is that the names "are not saved" for any slave characters, right? Or only for agents? Or just witches?
    We don't know. I don't think we even have consensus that "names being saved" is the real cause of the ballooning turn times and save file size. It's possible that factions with the slave_faction tag don't "save" character data after they die, but this is just one explanation. raubak and I got the original script to work with princesses for the slave faction, so I doubt that it's only witches which "aren't saved", but maybe it's only agents as you said. It will take more testing to know for sure.

Gaming Emeritus

Hm, well, I suppose it would make sense for slave faction to not "save" names, as its spawning various rebels and characters all the time.... so probably yeah....

Though, priests can interact with witches, so its also not exactly perfect

Priests and inquisitors can't interact with witches if the witches are inside forts. If anything (except a captain) moves into the fort, the witch will die, she won't be "bumped out" like a princess and hence she can't interact with anything. I suppose you could say that dying is an interaction, but I think it's a lot better than an interaction like opening diplomacy or targeting the character for marriage or opening the character's information scroll or etc. etc.