Thread: What's a good army composition for Pontos?

Default What's a good army composition for Pontos?

I'm interested in executing a historical roleplay run of Pontos, but I'm not well versed in its military organization.

I tried looking for a thread, but I couldn't find one or at least a thread thats relevant to 2.35.

How should a Pontic army look like? Royal, non-royal, garrisoned? Early, middle and later years of Pontos?

Default Re: What's a good army composition for Pontos?

Are you talking about historical composition, or just what's a good army from the vast array of troops that Pontos can muster?

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Are you talking about historical composition, or just what's a good army from the vast array of troops that Pontos can muster?
    The former

Greek infantry is generally top quality and they suffer less manpower issues than other Helens. Light infantry can be either Armenian or Iranian, they got nasty axemen that despite being light armored fight like devils. They also got outstanding heavy cavalry.

So basically a core of Hellen heavy or medium infantry supported by Eastern infantry and the heaviest cavalry you can get, like Lydians.

Historically, Pontus made good use of Iranian nobles: the khuveshangan. Extrapolating from this, it is only logical that the most historically accurate army composition is x19 Iranian Heavy Cavalry x1 general

Reminds me of my Numidian pre reform army. As the only actually good troops they get are nobles, and you can get decent numbers of them, I make armies made of em plus whatever cavalry chaff I can get to keep up with them. I prefer Mauritanians to Numidians as they get a decent melee attack, which is important as charging and meleeing is vital. After reform I can allow myself the decadence of """"medium"""" infantry and some semblance of an anvil for my hammer.