Thread: Where do you prefer to fight a battle when you are at disavantage in terms of numbers? In the open or inside a city?

Default Where do you prefer to fight a battle when you are at disavantage in terms of numbers? In the open or inside a city?

Suppose in the case you have no other choice than fighting a battle where the enemy outnumbers you at least twice of the size of your army. Of course if I'm attacked when I'm outside, I'd retreat to at least deal with one army at a time. That's the ideal thing we all prefer. But sometimes is not possible ( for example because you used up all your movement range ). So, in a situation where you're outnumbered do you prefer to be attacked when you are inside a city or in the open? And why?
    And as to fighting in the open, there can be variables such as:
    - In the open with hills or with choke points or both
    - In the open with no hills or choke points ( in this case maybe having at least 6 cavalry units is a must )

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

Default Re: Where do you prefer to fight a battle when you are at disavantage in terms of numbers? In the open or inside a city?

I would rather fight inside a city, since you can block corridors and stuff like that so that you can choose where you will fight, plus it is easier to prevent yourself from getting overwhelmed by superior numbers if you force the enemy on cramped spaces

Default Re: Where do you prefer to fight a battle when you are at disavantage in terms of numbers? In the open or inside a city?

How is this a question? Of course I want to be inside a city. Only exception is if my army is mostly light cavalry.

I've never been in a Rome 2 map where the a field battle has any noteworthy chokepoints beyond a bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    How is this a question? Of course I want to be inside a city. Only exception is if my army is mostly light cavalry.

I've never been in a Rome 2 map where the a field battle has any noteworthy chokepoints beyond a bridge.
    I forgot another case:
    When you are in the fortified stance. How about that?

If you have to face the enemy in the open, maybe having fast cavalry units ( 6 as a minimum ) can save the day. And perhaps your infantry units should be able to run faster than the enemy infantry units.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Usually, like LuckyPistol and Gyrosmeister, I'd prefer a city.

Of course, not every faction would rely choke points for defence. If I was playing as a faction which relies mainly or only on cavalry (a Nomadic Tribe), a flat open plain could be better. If my faction relied on stealth and hit and run attacks (such as the Suebi or Lusitani, possibly), a forested open map might work better. If I had archers and my enemy had slingers, a hilly map would be useful (although a city map would work well too).

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Usually, like LuckyPistol and Gyrosmeister, I'd prefer a city.

Of course, not every faction would rely choke points for defence. If I was playing as a faction which relies mainly or only on cavalry (a Nomadic Tribe), a flat open plain could be better. If my faction relied on stealth and hit and run attacks (such as the Suebi or Lusitani, possibly), a forested open map might work better. If I had archers and my enemy had slingers, a hilly map would be useful (although a city map would work well too).
    In a place where there is mostly open flat space, maybe your only hope to stand some chance is that you have like 6-8 cavalry units that are faster than the enemy cavalry and that your infantry units ( both melee and range units ) can outrun the enemy infantry units as well. And at least like 2 or 3 strong melee infantry units.
    I don't know if this will work or not once you already got rid of all the enemy cavalry:
    Making the enemy infantry get tired when chasing you infantry units and then attacking them from their back with your cavalry. Maybe it would require much patience to take them all out.
    Last edited by twgamer20197; January 02, 2021 at 09:15 AM.