Thread: Fake e-mail

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Fake e-mail

Just a heads up.

Today I got an e-mail from Spotify regarding a rejected payment method, I mean what kind of a transaction I use.

Or should I say I don't use at the moment, because I don't have Spotify and hadn't used since the day Spotify became public.

So, I consider that e-mail to be a fake even if it looks like it was sent from Spotify.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fake e-mail

During my working life I've got so many spams, scams, viruses and such that you can't count them; my policy is: ignore everything which is not 100% safe and that does not necessarily need an answer from you, and you'll be safe.

Also, if it's a real thing and it's important, they will remind you, no worries
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

That's my policy regarding phone calls now, too. So many spam calls that if it's really important they'll leave a message or text me.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

E-mail operates on pretty ancient protocols which makes spoofing-changing the sender's address-quite easy. It has become quite common phishing tactic. So always double-check before responding with any kind of sensitive info or clicking any link, attachment, etc...

Also don't just click links sent to your email

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    That's my policy regarding phone calls now, too. So many spam calls that if it's really important they'll leave a message or text me.
    As a European, I find the concept of automated spam calls like in the USA absolutely stupid and also extremely infuriating.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I'm an American and I feel that way.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    As a European, I find the concept of automated spam calls like in the USA absolutely stupid and also extremely infuriating.
    It happens here in Italy as well, and they can call you from any number (either fix phone, mobile or even from abroad, usually Tunisia); my technique when I got a call from an unknown number is not to say anything, I just get the line and wait, if it's automated it will start to speak in a couple of seconds, if it's a call center with a human operator, they will start to speak in few seconds.. either case I just hang up without saying nothing: this way I avoid any possible fraud and also I know by having had contacts with people dealing with this business of call centers, it's highly probable that my number will be included in a list of "hard to contact or to talk to customers", which means that for a while they won't be calling me at all, none of them.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

If I'm not expecting it, it can bugger off between email, text and call. I take Flinn's approach to the letter, though frankly, I don't even pick up most of the time because there is virtually no essential call I'm not expecting that could ever turn up and those I care for will contact me another way. After that I will then anticipate the call and actually pick up.

Email should be disregarded unless expected or completely sensible relative to something you're doing, ie, accurate steam account notice of something or another (sale, whatnot). Even then, especially for sensitive material, it is best to access that site yourself via browser unless you're again expecting it.

Things like the OP are so par for the course on all that...

Indians.

And they haven't automated.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Automated spam calls in the Eastern part of Europe are usually the type that charge your double or triple if you pick up the phone - you would have various people calling you through VoIP, I even got some weird ones like Maldives and Seychelles, and you would clearly understand it's those kinds of calls that charge you more than what's needed.

Problem is, operators cannot stop it.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!