Thread: War against Huns

elementall's Avatar Libertus

Default War against Huns

Hello, I have entered the war against the Huns, being the Western Roman Empire, what tactics in battles are convenient, with what types of units do you recommend me to arm the armies.
    for now my plan has been,
    my armies +1 against theirs, I have some units of spearmen, about 4 (limited) and medium, heavy and bow cavalry the rest. I manage to beat them but at great costs. luckily my armies recover easily.
    I listen to ideas! thanks!.

Praepositus

Default Re: War against Huns

Sad to see not to reply to you the TWC is dieing

I have very bad experience i played the mod again after a while as WRE and really got kicked out of italy. I lost battle even with armies that i though were close to ideal for me. The only battles that I won vs full stack huns were those that I used a fort. I think tget really powerfull under an exp general so the bonus build up so it easy to rout opponents. Overall i have not find the ideal tactic. But if i could to play again . I would fortify my armies in passages to avoid open battles use spearmen with archers with flanks covered and never face a hunnic army with damaged units.

elementall's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: War against Huns

Hi! after a while TWC came back in, some posts move, others don't. It is good to know that you took the time to see my post, thank you, although sorry for the delay in responding to you.
    Some time ago I finished my campaign with WRE, difficult, very funny, great challenge. I managed to keep Italy always, although Huns, and some barbarians I managed to get to knock on the door of Rome or Mediolanum, I managed to defeat them as you say, behind the walls, I killed Attila in one of those confrontations, but I only wounded him, then he returned to face me but I drove them back from my lands. I only fought a few battles in the open field, but few won, and in a pyrrhic way.
    Then Attila died, of old I suppose, and the Huns lost their guidance, and began to separate among themselves, their armies dispersed and took advantage of the situation to train and recruit clibanari, and catrafacts, and cavalry with bow, to pursue and harass their armies. , some light infantry to run and tire the enemy, and a couple of Comitasense spear units to go for the cavalry and support mine.
    There I began to win battles, I eliminated the Huns, others were eliminated by the barbarians, I alienated myself with some in the north, others I conquered them and I went to the south, to complete my campaign and achieve divine triumph, first punishing the ERE for not Help me with the Huns, then the Arabs.
    That is a summary of my campaign, but at the beginning it seemed that it would not even make it to turn 100. You just have to change your mentality, one wants to conquer, in this case it is the other way around, you must defend.