Thread: Issues with Changing Music

Icon4 Issues with Changing Music

Whenever I try to add new music in the game, I run into a couple issues. The first one is that the splash screen will be up and then the game crashes. The second one is when I start the game up it'll load fine with the music playing but all the sounds will be missing. Is there any way to resolve this issue?

Default Re: Issues with Changing Music

If you made an error in one of the text files or didn't include all of the needed text files in your mod, the game will crash at the splash screen when it finishes rebuilding the sounds .dat packs. After this, the game will launch without crashing but whatever error you made will persist and this is usually manifest as a bunch of missing sounds.

If this is your first time editing sounds files, I recommend you follow the steps in this guide. Below I've listed some diagnostic steps.

Diagnosing Sounds Not Working

1) Make sure you have all the needed sounds text files in your mod. There should be 39 descr_sounds_... and export_descr_sounds_... files in your data folder. There's also descr_sounds_db and world/maps/base/descr_sounds_music_types.

2) Use Notepad++ or other suitable text editor with the needed encoding schemes when editing data files. Using MS Notepad will result in errors.

3) Any sounds pack (.dat) that you're trying to rebuild must first be extracted. If you simply delete the packs without extracting the .mp3 and .wav files beforehand, the game will not rebuild them correctly.

4) Compare the size of the rebuilt packs to the unpacked folders containing the .mp3 and .wav files. If the .dat files are smaller than the unpacked folders, it means some of the audio files aren't being packed due to errors in the text files.