Thread: I want to get into this game

Default I want to get into this game

I finally decided to start with Shogun 2 Total War. I have all DLC except blood DLC but I am more interested in Fall of the Samurai, being strongly interested in the history of late 19th century, known as victorian era. So I started with the tutorials but I don't know anything about the periods of history covered in this game, including Shogun 2 base game and Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai DLC. How can I learn about the context of Shogun 2?

alhoon's Avatar Moderator

Default Re: I want to get into this game

Read books is the simplest and most time consuming way.
    Watching good and realistic films that depict the era is an approach that I consider it works, whatever the naysayers say.
    DIE: Diversity, Inclusion, Equality (Pun on SJWs, I am not far-right)

Developer of Causa Belli submod for Darthmod, headed by Hammeredalways and a ton of other people.
    Developer of LtC: Random maps submod for Lands to Conquer (that brings a multitude of random maps and other features).

Which films would you recommend me for both periods the base game and Fall of the Samurai DLC?

Check out the Shogunate youtube channel, he has a lot of videos about the Sengoku period. Not sure about the Boshin war, but there should be plenty of stuff online. As for films, The Last Samurai is a classic about the Boshin war. It has it's flaws but it's a good movie imo.
    Wanna play as minor clans from expanded Japan by unamie5? Now you can: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=428505886

Shogun 2 in a new light - Historical Shogun 2 Mod

You don't get into Shogun 2, this game gets into you.

Quote Originally Posted by Incendio View Post
    Which films would you recommend me for both periods the base game and Fall of the Samurai DLC?
    Also, Shinsengumi for Boshin War, and The Revolutionary for the Sengoku-Edo period.

The Revolutionary is a pointed and political movie, the setting and props aren't the lead characters here, but you've probably seen Kurosawa's movies.

Ah, for Genpei intrigue watch Yoshitsune.

Here's a compilation of movie excerpts from the Sengoku period:

Last edited by Flinn; January 25, 2021 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grognardius View Post
    Here's a compilation of movie excerpts from the Sengoku period:

That didn't work. Not allowed to edit posts yet. Here's a direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0vx...annel=jerryluo

Flinn's Avatar Dude of Steel
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Censor Gaming Director

Blog Entries

I've edited your previous post

In order to get the youtube video, you only need to embed the code within the [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE] tags; for the video above it is D0vxxFF-Q5E, for instance
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader