Thread: Further reading for Napoleon Total War?

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Default Further reading for Napoleon Total War?

I am trying to get into deep detail with Napoleon Total War and I started the battle tutorials (land and naval) available under the main menu. However, I still find difficult to understand some features as for battles. As examples:

1) Infantry and cavalry formations: When to use each one and what are their advantages / disadvantages.
    2) Naval formations: When to use each one and why the ships always go full sails when you activate a formation.

The tutorials did not provide me any information about these topics and I am interested to know. Do you know where I can read about the topic or somebody has enough patience to explain me?

Thank you in advance

Default Re: Further reading for Napoleon Total War?

Check out Steam and the forum here on TWcenter for some basic guidance on tactics.

Also, check out epic history tv on youtube:

In general, the different formation buttons (outside of simple lines or columns) have limited to no use in Napoleon (or Empire for that matter). Group your units into either a line (for battle) or column (for long-term movement).

Put your skirmishers into light-infantry mode for combat (reduces their casualty rate from incoming fire).
    Put your cavalry in wedge or diamond for charges (Better damage).

Naval combat requires an article on it's own. I actually gave a pretty decent intro to naval combat here (for Empire, but still very much applicable to Napoleon): https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...=#post15969039

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Further reading for Napoleon Total War?

Thanks for your feedback.

Because of what I've read about the period, I know infantry square formation is excellent to counter cavalry charges, this can also be seen in the film Waterloo (1970) by Sergei Bondarchuk, but according to what I have been told in a history forum, infantry square formation is also weak against line infantry formation and artillery shots, I guess is the same in Napoleon Total War. I also know because of Shogun 2 tutorials that diamond formation for cavalry is excellent for charging infantry units. I still have to try groups and light-infantry mode for skirmishers.

Thank you for your article about naval combat, there are lots of formations, but still can't figure out how they work.