Thread: javeliners, skirmish mode and precursor

Default javeliners, skirmish mode and precursor

Is it okay that almost all javeliners are precursor? Is it cause they run away before throwing cause of 44m range? they don't behave like skirmishers now. under AI control they throw one or two volleys and go into suicide attack on melee units. under my control it's hard to manage them. should i increase their range up to 50 and delete "prec" attribute?
    also, some skirmishers actually don't have precursor, like akontistai. why they don't have precursor?

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

Default Re: javeliners, skirmish mode and precursor

Javelins' range are fine (they are ordinary people, not olympic champion with perfectly aerodynamic javelin) and our team want them to living with sense of desperation. Many of javelineer are prec due to they historically fight more as light infantry and not historically ran away without fight too.

There are a few javelineers which not prec and could properly skirmish too but they are even lighter are mostly not found in Europe (only Agrianian, and Akontistai could be recriut natively to Europe) the rest are either Africa or far off the edge with only 1 that is commonly access by any factions (libyan skirmisher, machimoi skirmisher, arab skirmisher, indo-greek peltophoroi) If you start in Europe and want to skirmish properly, I would suggest you to use javelin cavalry or proper archer (not archer-melee) as most of them don't have prec.

Akontistai, Libyan skirmisher, and Machimoi skirmisher are without precursor due to their historical role are that way, they don't meant to look for place to close combat and historically fought by kiting enemies (biggest example is of such tactics for Akontistai is Battle_of_Lechaeum but role transfer from peltast to akontistai as peltast get heavier and heavier by time it reach hellenistic period) not just there to unload all javelins on enemy before run to attack enemy on front and flank like the rest of light/medium infantry (velites and thracian peltast is biggest example of this category).
    Last edited by Suppanut; December 25, 2020 at 08:38 AM.
    Is proudly patroned by the Great Balikedes.

thx for answer. I'd still like my javeliners to be proper ranged units, so I will continue experimenting.

Also, some offtop. I've noticed that several elite units now have more people in their ranks. sacred band, praetorians infantry or baktrian agema have 200 on huge. But other like epilektoi hoplites, spartans, epilektoi thorakitai still have only 120 soldiers per unit. Most of elite cavalry is still 60 on huge, but I've noticed that Pergamene Hetairoi have wopping 120 soldiers on huge. Is it intended?

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

Units with less than full size of normal units (both for infantry and cavalry) tend to coming with general character attached, and their size could be influenced by general's personal security and influence attribute, so they have potential to be more powerful than normal. and those units would converted into family bodyguards (which 1 tier above normal cavalry of the same tier) after character get adopted. So they are potentially more powerful in campaign.

Units which size get bigger than it used to is due to they lost general attache as part of unit as I reduce number of units with general in it especially those which coming from faction which elite prefer to fight on horseback.
    Last edited by Suppanut; December 25, 2020 at 09:47 AM.
    Is proudly patroned by the Great Balikedes.