Thread: Fatal and mysterious CTD

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Default Fatal and mysterious CTD

So, for some insane motive I decided to resumate my old mod, Machiavello (, hoping to release a playable beta.

Unfortunately, with some faction I experience a fatal bug between the turns 16 and 17.

Here's the log, but i don't think it does gave the answer...maybe some trigger interferes with some character...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

21:32:42.606 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <selfperpetuating26> fired
    21:32:42.606 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <selfperpetuating34> fired
    21:32:42.606 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <selfperpetuating41> fired
    21:32:42.606 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <harsh_lifestyle1> fired
    21:32:42.606 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <harsh_lifestyle2> fired
    21:32:42.606 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <sitting_around_camp_vnv_trigger> fired
    21:32:42.612 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <harsh_lifestyle1> fired
    21:32:42.612 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <harsh_lifestyle2> fired
    21:32:42.612 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <selfperpetuating11> fired
    21:32:42.612 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <selfperpetuating34> fired
    21:32:42.612 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <sitting_around_camp_vnv_trigger> fired
    21:32:42.612 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <harsh_lifestyle1> fired
    21:32:42.955 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

I really have no idea, I'm not good at scripting and the other team member is busy and can't help me.
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fatal and mysterious CTD

To test if it is indeed the triggers delete the trigger section in descr_export_characters, after making a back up. then try again.

Search the file for the first 'trigger' entry and delete everything from there to the bottom. The first lines of the entry should look similar to this:
    Code:
    Trigger V0010_Standard_Battle_Attacker_Crushing_Victory_VnV_Trigger
        WhenToTest PostBattle
    I remember having to remove several of those triggers in your log in 1648 as they appeared to be a crash happy:

selfperpetuating6
    agents23
    agents24
    governing6
    harsh_lifestyle1
    sitting_around_town_with_orthodoxchurch
    selfperpetuating26
    sitting_around_camp_vnv_trigger

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

I'll try. Maybe the fact that the crash keep happening at the same turn and only with certain factions can point aout the real problem?
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

Blog Entries

Try lifting the FoW and follow the AI if the total trigger removal doesn't help - it might give a clue as what is happening. It doesn't seem to be 'BecomesFactionLeader' trait trigger crash as the last lines indicate a simple end turn processing of characters (governors in settlements) and not any battle activity.

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Ok, I'l use this thread as a personal log of my personal quest against this kind of bug.

For now, I removed the "selfperpetuating26" trigger and I magically managed to pass turn 16 with the Siena faction. I realy can't imagine why that trigger caused the CTD at that specific turn (and only with some factions). Any guess?

I expect other bugs and other crashes to follow, but at least a tiny bit of progress, after many months of inactivity, has been made. Thanks, Gigantus.

Blog Entries

Haven't figured out to this day why those triggers cause issues.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Ah, I had the same issue in my mod a few days ago... had to remove like 4 selfperpetuating ones and a few more that I suspected to be faulty