Thread: What are both the hardest and the easiest factions to play in the Rise of the Republic campaign?

Default What are both the hardest and the easiest factions to play in the Rise of the Republic campaign?

The hardest: At least I know playing as Rome is pretty tough specially from the early stage up to mid stage of the campaign.
    The easiest: I'm not very sure but maybe Veneti.
    Last edited by twgamer20197; December 20, 2020 at 06:38 AM.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Default Re: What are both the hardest and the easiest factions to play in the Rise of the Republic campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by twgamer20197 View Post
    The hardest: At least I know playing as Rome is pretty tough specially from the early stage up to mid stage of the campaign.
    The easiest: I'm not very sure but maybe Veneti.
    Harder: Rome as you said. I've also found Senones very difficult because one of their faction traits mean they trash every settlement they take.

Easier: I found I had an easier time with Syracuse and Veneti, though I wouldn't say any faction in this campaign is easy.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Default Re: What are both the hardest and the easiest factions to play in the Rise of the Republic campaign?

In Rome case I know because I played it lol. I think when playing as Rome these are some basic tips specially for the early stage in the campaign:
    - Avoiding being at war with Tarchuna, the other Etruscan factions and the Hernici ( I'm not saying that you should not attack them later but the idea is avoiding it in the early stage of the campaign ) Getting a both non-agression and trade agreement with them right from the first 2 or 3 turns is very important to make sure you don't worry about them for the time being. And maybe getting a non-agression pact with the Sabines as well.
    - First focusing fighting Veii. And then dealing with the Volsci after that. I mean going on the offensive against these two and in the particular order I say. It is practically impossible to avoid being at war with Volsci.
    - After finishing off the Volsci, maybe it is better to stay on the defensive for the moment and use that time to build up both militarily and economically in order to be ready to face the Samnites ( It is very likely they declare you war and maybe it is best to have at least 3 armies to go on the offensive against them). And sometimes the Paeligni or the Frentani or the Equae ( I don't remember the spelling but it is the faction that controls the Alba Fucens city ) can declare war as well.I think it is because they dislike that you attack italic factions. Imagine that you have to face one or more factions besides the Samnites. That's very tough.

And as to the Veneti, maybe it is an easy early stage because you fight only towards one direction at a time when advancing in your conquests. And it can be very profitable playing as the Veneti as well by sacking trade routes in the sea.

Senones:
    I never tried it but as you say, it could be uncomfortable to deal with rebellions all the time because you can only loot or raze a city
    Last edited by twgamer20197; December 24, 2020 at 11:10 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I agree that Rome and the Senones are challenging.

The Insubres were the first RotR faction I tried, they were fun to play and the campaign was fairly easy. Based on Derc's Derc Plays through World History AAR, it looks as if Syracuse is fairly easy (or maybe it's simply that he's a skilled player who makes it look easy!).

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I agree that Rome and the Senones are challenging.

The Insubres were the first RotR faction I tried, they were fun to play and the campaign was fairly easy. Based on Derc's Derc Plays through World History AAR, it looks as if Syracuse is fairly easy (or maybe it's simply that he's a skilled player who makes it look easy!).

What are the reasons why the Insubres is fun to play? At least for you

Senones and Rome as others said, equally challenging but for different reasons.

Easiest has to be Insubres or Veneti since they start comfortable in the north.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    Senones and Rome as others said, equally challenging but for different reasons.

Easiest has to be Insubres or Veneti since they start comfortable in the north.
    In your case, I remember you told me that your favorite faction in Rise of the Republic is Iolei. I'm just curious about how is your campaign plan or strategy when playing as Iolei. How hard is it? At least from the start up to mid-stage of the campaign
    Last edited by twgamer20197; January 02, 2021 at 07:09 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

What are the reasons why the Insubres is fun to play? At least for you
    Their starting position (in the top corner of the map) made for a relatively relaxing start, which was helpful for my first Rise of the Republic campaign. Rise of the Republic surprised me with its migrating tribes mechanic (a settlement on the edge of the map may be suddenly threatened by the arrival of a migrating tribe) - a surprise which I enjoyed.

Their roster is useful and varied but not overpowered, and I like the Native units system which RotR offers, where you can recruit different units in different regions (in addition to mercenaries). Also, I found it enjoyable to play as a faction which has bonuses for acting diplomatically and also for raiding and sacking, so you can play the Insubres in different ways.

Campidoctor

Based on Derc's Derc Plays through World History AAR, it looks as if Syracuse is fairly easy (or maybe it's simply that he's a skilled player who makes it look easy!).
    Nah, man. I'm not a good player. Just a dedicated one. RotR itself is fairly easy. Too easy. Italy is just a strip to conquer along, and it is really easy to sit in your corner of the map in security. Thus, if you want something challenging, you need to take something in the center of the map. Rome itself has a poor starting condition, but grows strong fast. When in midgame, there is no real challenge anymore, no matter who you play. Hence why you must focus on early game. For that, I think all factions have their charm, but something in the middle like Rome or the Senones will work out as the most hardest, because you can be attacked from multiple directions, especially from the Etruscans, who are quite good. The Senones especially are annoying for their "speciality" of having to trash every settlement, as Welsh Dragon mentioned, which isn't helpful at all if you want to conquer the map. If.

Personally, if given the chance to play again, I would most likely go with the Nuragic people on Sardinia. While they seem to have a secure position, Carthage may come up to you, and your units are, well, backwards. May. The AI isn't that good with naval invasions, and Rome II itself is a fairly easy game, so if pushed back, it's a free ticket.
    No matter. Just delve yourself in, and play whatever feels the most "right" for you, if there is anything.
    Last edited by Derc; January 03, 2021 at 04:29 PM.

In your case, I remember you told me that your favorite faction in Rise of the Republic is Iolei. I'm just curious about how is your campaign plan or strategy when playing as Iolei. How hard is it? At least from the start up to mid-stage of the campaign
    Iolei are probably under Rome and Senones for difficulty because your main opponent is the juggernaut Carthage, and your northern neighbors don't like you much. You really only have one or two Nuragic factions to confederate with. You have lightly armored units, poor economy, and long travel distances for expansion.

But what makes it easier is that Carthage is also at war with Syracuse and you aren't subject to the migrating tribes until you expand to the mainland.

Their starting position (in the top corner of the map) made for a relatively relaxing start, which was helpful for my first Rise of the Republic campaign. Rise of the Republic surprised me with its migrating tribes mechanic (a settlement on the edge of the map may be suddenly threatened by the arrival of a migrating tribe) - a surprise which I enjoyed.
    This destroyed my first ever Rome campaign in RotR. I expanded southward and stretched too thin, then a tribe comes out of nowhere and takes my newly conquered settlements and destroying my expedition forces.