Thread: Dummy faction for observation purposes?

Default Dummy faction for observation purposes?

I know that the new guys and rebels are unplayable, but I was wondering if it would be possible to mod the game to make them playable so I can just let the AI fight itself. I would use the Pritanoi, Saka Rauka, or maybe even Saba, but I want to see every faction's impact on the game, even if it's small. In Rome you can do this with rebels, or spqr, and there was even a -ai command line switch to make it easier (which as far as I'm concerned doesn't exist for medieval 2). Also, since I'm already here, does anyone know if there's a way to have the game start right into the campaign on launch, similar to how the -strat:campaign_name command line switch worked in rome total war? Thanks.

Default Re: Dummy faction for observation purposes?

Ok, so you can play as the rebels, even though they have a big impact in this game, I'll probably just do that because it doesn't look interesting from the POV of the campaign map. But I still am very interested in my second question, is there anyway to start the campaign right from launch?

Sadly i have no answer for this. I do not think it is possible, unless you play with HOTSEAT or something.

It would be interesting to watch the game as a simulation. Like see how a faction fares when governed by the AI but not being able to affect things.

I've run about 5 campaigns just observing as The Pritannoi (who are isolated in Ireland and do nothing the entire campaign).

Some things I noticed in this:

It takes a long time before anything interesting happens. Of all the campaigns I've seen the barbarian factions take incredibly long to expand. None of the Iberian tribes have made it out of Spain. The gallic tribes take a solid 100-150 turns before they take more than 2-3 settlements, and the Greeks squabble amongst them selves for the better part of 300 turns (farthest I've gone is 350 turns) before any clear victor comes out. Carthage and Egypt are pretty active early on, but tend to stagnate. Seleucids are constantly fighting to keep on their borders (no pushover either, quite competitive) and Baktria is in a perpetual conflict with Sauka and Taksashila in the corner of the map. Germanic tribes are in the same boat as the Eprius-Greek-Macedon and Baktria-Sauka-Taksashila triangle, constantly fighting, no clear victor until deep into the campaign. Getai chill with a couple settlements before they start to make moves around 150-200 turns in. Rome consistently grows from the beginning, but like the rest is very slow. Disapointingly they seem to only fight barbarians and rarely interact with the hellenistic kingdoms or even make forays into Sicily. (Still a lot of factions I haven't mentioned). Once the slow phase is over, large kingdoms start to go to war and empires start to rise