Thread: Settlement fix for Mac?

Foederatus

Default Settlement fix for Mac?

I have been a long time player of EB2, and I have recently switched to Mac. However, I see that the settlements simply do not work and must be removed. I have played a few battles with settlements as long as they don't have walls (e.g. conquering Uesontiu, Ani-Kamah, etc) and they worked fine, no CTD. It's just like how it is with the TATW mod then, I presume, with the gates causing crashes, but this has been fixed for them I think. Could there be an attempt in the new patch to correct these errors so Mac and Linux users could use the spectacular settlements that Windows players can enjoy? I could help test them if there is interest. I'm not sure if the team accepts donations but I'd gladly donate as thanks if this gets done as well, I get tired of sieging medieval settlements with Hellenistic-era men!

Default Re: Settlement fix for Mac?

Good luck finding someone to help you with that mate, Mac is terrible for games

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Good luck finding someone to help you with that mate, Mac is terrible for games
    For what it's worth, this is a problem with Linux too, and is due to the way Feral ported the two games. EB2 is legitimately the only video game I play nowadays (not even any other Med2 mods, their combat always seems too arcade-y for me!) so Mac not being good for games generally isn't a problem. It's a shame because otherwise the Feral port is quite good - it is 64bit, uses as much RAM as it needs, uses Apple's proprietary API so the game runs well at max settings, but they did some voodoo that breaks traditional modded settlements!

One can see here that it is indeed possible to make this work on Mac and Linux, and it doesn't seem that complicated to do. The problem is of course that WINE no longer runs on MacOS after last fall and the tools are Windows-only, so I can't do it myself. I would be happy to get involved with testing if the dev-team or anyone else wishes to help.

I see. I would love to help you with that but it's a bit complex for those like me who don't have a Mac.
    Maybe you could install windows on your Mac?

To go with Lusitanio's suggestion, look up "dual booting" and "Mac bootcamp". You basically partition a few dozen Gigabytes of disk for a Windows 10 OS. Keep in mind that partitioning a Mac makes it impossible to update to a new version (ex. from Sierra to High Sierra), and requires a factory reset to do so

It's not just a few Gigabytes of disk but it's quite easy to do that, like Shoebopp said, use Mac bootcamp to do that, it's not hard but I advise you to check videos on youtube on how to do it so that you don't mess up.

I play the game on Linux with the Feral version, and I was planning to follow that guide mentioned in the first post to fix the settlements. It probably takes me some time, but of course I will uploaded once it is completed and working

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    To go with Lusitanio's suggestion, look up "dual booting" and "Mac bootcamp". You basically partition a few dozen Gigabytes of disk for a Windows 10 OS. Keep in mind that partitioning a Mac makes it impossible to update to a new version (ex. from Sierra to High Sierra), and requires a factory reset to do so
    Ah, the problem is I have a new ARM MacBook, perhaps silly to purchase one in its first iteration, but I had to switch and I figured the ARM ones would have longer support than this year's Intel ones. This makes dual boot impossible, I'm afraid, at least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ortiga View Post
    I play the game on Linux with the Feral version, and I was planning to follow that guide mentioned in the first post to fix the settlements. It probably takes me some time, but of course I will uploaded once it is completed and working
    If you do get around to it, please keep me updated with your progress and send me files so I could test them as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ortiga View Post
    Sorry to go off topic, but since you're using the Feral version of M2TW, are you experiencing mid-battle crashes while playing as or against Celtic armies, or mid-battle freezes while playing as or against the far east factions (Saka, Baktria, Taksashila)?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    Sorry to go off topic, but since you're using the Feral version of M2TW, are you experiencing mid-battle crashes while playing as or against Celtic armies, or mid-battle freezes while playing as or against the far east factions (Saka, Baktria, Taksashila)?
    No, that has not been a problem for me. I had some crashes, but either at the start or the end of a battle, never mid-battle. And those I have I could not say they were faction specific