Thread: Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2019-2020 - Nominations Thread

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2019-2020 - Nominations Thread

Welcome to our seventh Yearly Awards competition!

Everyone is invited to nominate your favourite writing.
    Only writing posted on TWC between 1 October 2019 and 30 September 2020 can be nominated.

In this competition, we recognise and reward the greatest writers among us this year – both Creative Writers and AARtists!

This year's categories are:

AAR of the Year
    For – what else? – the best AAR!
    You may nominate any AAR that received an update between 1 October 2019 and 30 September 2020.

CW of the Year
    For - naturally! - the best Creative Writing!
    You may nominate any piece of Creative Writing that received an update between 1 October 2019 and 30 September 2020.

Combined Award: Best Newcomer
    Which new WS poster has showered us with the greatest display of talent since the 1st October 2019?
    This award could go to someone who writes AARs, or CW, or both. You can nominate any member who posted an update to an AAR or piece of creative writing between 1 October 2019 and 30 September 2020.

Please read the rules, in the next post, before making any nominations.

Default Re: Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2019-2020 - Nominations Thread

RULES

Each category has eligibility criteria, in the post above. There are some other rules:

Nominations are welcome from now until 11:59 GMT+0, 31 October 2020. After this, there will be a two week voting period.

Nominations are to be made in this thread
    Nope, that's not a link. Post your nominations in this thread that you're reading right now please!

No self-nomination
    You cannot nominate yourself or your own work for any category.

Maximum of three nominations per category
    You can only nominate a maximum of three nominees for a category. Any more than three nominations and only the first three will be counted.

You do not need to make nominations in every category
    You may make a nomination (or nominations) in only one category, if you wish. Or you may make nominations in two (or more) categories. It’s entirely up to you!

When making a nomination, please give as much information as possible.
    Please make sure you say which category you are nominating a person or piece of work for. If you are nominating a member (for Best Newcomer), you need only give the member’s name.

If you are nominating an AAR or a CW piece, please give the title of the piece, AND the name of the author.

If you are struggling to remember the exact details of the member or piece of work you wish to nominate, please nominate them anyway, with as much information as you have. If WS staff cannot easily identify the person or work you are nominating, they may ask you for more details. If they still can’t identify your nomination, they may decide not to include it in the competition.

Best Newcomer
    As set out above, a “Newcomer” is someone who made their first substantial contribution to the WS between 1 October 2019 and 30 September 2020. This means their first substantial contribution as an author of AARs or CW. Their first substantial contribution must have been since 1 October 2019. They would still qualify for nomination if they had written a brief one or two-post AAR (or CW) earlier, and then written a substantial AAR (or CW) during the year covered by this competition. If you are in any doubt about whether someone can be nominated for the Best Newcomer Awards, please ask the WS staff.

Each member may only win one award
    If a member wins more than one award, they will be given the chance to choose which award they wish to receive. This applies to second and third place awards as well as first place awards. The other(s) will be awarded to the runner(s)-up.

‘Honour’ system
    We are running this competition on the ‘honour’ system. If you notice that you have been nominated for an award you do not qualify for, please notify the WS staff.
    Likewise, if you notice someone else has been nominated for an award they don’t qualify for, please notify the WS staff.

If, at any stage, the WS staff discover that a nominee for or winner of any award does not qualify to be entered in that category, the WS staff reserve the right to disqualify them. If voting has not yet begun, the disqualified nominee will simply not be entered in the competition. If voting has already begun, and the disqualified nominee obtains enough votes to win an award, that award will be given to the person with the next highest number of votes.

To make your nominations, please copy and paste the following into this thread, with your nominations for each category:

AARotY:

CWotY:

Best Newcomer:

For example:

AAROTY: Story A by Member 1, Story B by Member 2, Story C by Member 3

Best Newcomer: Member 7, Member 8, Member 9

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the chat thread or PM any member of WS staff. Have fun nominating!

We are very grateful to all (Scottish King, Hitai de Bodemloze, m_1512, Radzeer and Dance) who began the Writers’ Study Yearly Awards in 2014 and to Joar for designing the artwork.

Ooooh. Excited it is that time of the year already. Last year's feast was lovely, and I remember waking up the day after with a particularly lovely imp by my side (guess getting an award can have it's perks )

Anyway, for now this is just a placeholder, as I need to look through some stuff to be sure about nominations, but I will with certainty fill this in sometime soon!

AARotY: Derc Plays Through World History by Derc, A Polish Coward and a Scoundrel by DreamKing, and Toutatis Favors the Brave by Welsh Dragon

CWotY: Old Soldier by Dubh the dark, Peace by Kyriakos

Best Newcomer: kghdodge (Note, I had previously nominated DreamKing for the category, and I find his writing just superb, but Alwyn informed me that DreamKing has posted stuff earlier as well, making him ineligible for this award. I just wanted to explain that my retraction of his name is not for lack of interest in his work, but rather only due to technicalities of the yearly awards. )

EDIT: I finally managed to fill out my nominations, and I am quite happy with them. I feel like I missed a hundred good AARs, but I am hoping that other members will nominate the worthy ones and give us a full set of nominees for this Yearly Awards!
    Last edited by Kilo11; October 22, 2020 at 01:47 AM.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

I share Kilo's enthusiasm! Another opportunity to hail all our wonderful members in the WS!

If you are unsure about what is eligible or not, I recommend reading Caillagh's Writers' Study Socially-Distanced Open Day. Not only is it a enjoyable read, it contains all the information you might need.

WIP
    AARotY: The Mongol Invasion by Napoleon Complex, The Empire Strikes Back by Wahram1991, Rise and Rise Again by High Delivery

CWotY: Swords Made of Letters by Basileos Leandros I, World War 0 by Shoebopp

Best Newcomer: High Delivery, Shoebopp
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; October 03, 2020 at 11:13 AM.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Thank you gentlemen for your nomination.

My picks are the following:

AARotY: Napoleon Invasion's STW Campaign / Rise and Rise Again - High Delivery

CWotY: Swords Made of Letters / World War 0

Best Newcomer: High Delivery / Napoleon Complex

Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Haven't been much in it, and am in a hurry:
    AARotY: Kilo's Written in Sand & Derc's Derc Plays Through World History (by Derc)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Thanks to everyone who has posted nominations.

In case there are more people who'd like to add nominations, I'm extending the deadline to 11:59 GMT+0, November 8, 2020.

Campidoctor

AARotY: Written in Sand has already be mentioned. Not a big LotR fan, but I think To earn a Kingdom should make it to the list. Turk does quite a work there.

CWotY: Had a really good read at Scorched Earth - 800 word brooding flash

Best Newcomer: Cookiegod and I are always noobs, you just confirmed that last year. Why not this year again? No? No? Okay. Then I don't know.