Thread: Will we see the patch before Christmas?

Default Will we see the patch before Christmas?

Not asking for a specific date, but is development in the endgame now?

Default Re: Will we see the patch before Christmas?

I remember people asking same question a year ago and year before that. One year from now they will probably still ask same question. I don't want to sound angry, I understand that making mods is entirely voluntary and that mod team is mostly unpaid (aside from donations), but what I don't understand is why one huge patch is better than couple small patches over time that would fix some serious issues. I've been waiting almost two years for the Hellenistic traits fix and it's still not there. You could just release bug fixes separately over time and then make next patch mostly about new content. That way new patch would still make a big impact, it would still keep people excited for it, but at the same time make experience of those who wait for it more enjoyable with more stable gameplay. Bug fixes should not be delayed because of the new content.
    Last edited by SacredFox; December 11, 2020 at 01:16 PM.

At least, there are quite a few units (new ones with single and multiple era versions, and reworked ones) that are finished and not yet published on twitter.
    изишо је тад домаћин тмури
    и сву штенад потрпо у џак.

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mór Ó Néill View Post
    Not asking for a specific date, but is development in the endgame now?
    Given we haven't started playtesting on the current build, unlikely. The last thing we want to do is drop something that immediately needs a Day One fix, like AAA companies do.

Quote Originally Posted by SacredFox View Post
    I remember people asking same question a year ago and year before that. One year from now they will probably still ask same question. I don't want to sound angry, I understand that making mods is entirely voluntary and that mod team is mostly unpaid (aside from donations), but what I don't understand is why one huge patch is better than couple small patches over time that would fix some serious issues. I've been waiting almost two years for the Hellenistic traits fix and it's still not there. You could just release bug fixes separately over time and then make next patch mostly about new content. That way new patch would still make a big impact, it would still keep people excited for it, but at the same time make experience of those who wait for it more enjoyable with more stable gameplay. Bug fixes should not be delayed because of the new content.
    We don't work on bug fixes separately to other content. Taking your example, there's no way to fix the Hellenistic traits without also releasing whatever else has been worked on with traits. Same goes script changes, the bug fixes are mixed in with any new features, which haven't been playtested and may require other new features that similarly haven't been tested to be released with them.

Fixes jump the queue when they're found, we tend to set aside whatever we're currently working on to implement that, so no one forgets it. Then we return to whatever we were doing before it appeared.

Essentially, what you're asking for would be additional work, to make releases which separate those things out.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; December 13, 2020 at 03:24 AM.