Thread: Cultural settlement fortifications (ex: build barbarian walls as Rome)

Jayman's Avatar Libertus

Default Cultural settlement fortifications (ex: build barbarian walls as Rome)

I created custom settlement buildings for Rome and would like to assign them to different fortifications. For example, I have the choice to build rom_main_city_CELTS when I occupy a main city but the settlement has Roman walls. I would like to have the custom building have barbarian walls. Is there a way to assign a main settlement building to have different walls than the faction being played?

Default Re: Cultural settlement fortifications (ex: build barbarian walls as Rome)

It is.

But first, did you add all the appropriate entries for your new buildings? Like in cai_construction_system_building_values and the various campaign_settlement_display_buildings tables?

Jayman's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Cultural settlement fortifications (ex: build barbarian walls as Rome)

I did not make an entry in cai_construction_system_building_values_tables but did in campaign_settlement_display_buildings_tables. I also made the appropriate entries in:

building_culture_variants_tables
    building_effects_junction_tables
    building_instances_tables
    building_level_armed_citizenry_junctions_tables (including aSpecial_Capitals)
    building_level_required_technology_junctions_tables
    building_levels_tables
    building_units_allowed_tables
    building_upgrades_junction_tables
    campaign_settlement_display_building_constructions_tables
    campaign_settlement_display_building_ids_tables

Does cai_construction_system_building_values_tables need an entry?
    Am I missing others?

Jayman's Avatar Libertus

First off, thank you for your response. The custom buildings are not superchains nor chains. They are subchains connected to the main settlement chains. For example, rom_ROMAN_city_major is the chain used for all the custom main capital buildings and rom_ROMAN_city_minor_fish is the chain used for all the custom fish settlements. Does the custom building need to be a superchain or chain to have walls from a different culture?

Even though the AI may construct your custom building without the table, I think it's good to give a quality value to the building so that the AI can compare which building is better to build in specific situations. So an entry in cai_construction_system_building_values is good to exist, but you can do this later.

Also rom_ROMAN_city_major is an old pre-Emperor Edition building chain, rome_city is the chain used now and the chain splits to civil and garrison subchains. Unless you are modding according to DEI which uses the old system. The same for the fish.

Anyway for the walls you will only need your existing building levels and we will have to make new in the campaign_settlement_display_building_ids and campaign_settlement_display_buildings tables. You will have to make the same process for each building level. Essentially forcing the game to change the appearance of the walls to a specific model when a specific building exists in the settlement.

I will try to write the process step by step in the next post, but let me know if your buildings are finished so that you can test the result

Change wall appearance depending on settlement building

Lets suppose you building level is rom_city_celts_1

You will make new entries in campaign_settlement_display_building_ids, each for every "piece" of the wall (sprawl). These are the columns you will need:

display_ids (mediafire.com)

Now go to campaign_settlement_display_buildings. Here you have to link each key (which links each piece of the wall) to the model you want. You can make a wall out of trees, but here we will add the celtic (barbarian) wall.

models_display (mediafire.com)

This is a very rough example of what you need to do. Depending on your preferences you may even want to replace the small houses inside the settlement with barbarian/celtic ones. For these you need to change the appearance of the sprawls named "sprawl_edge".

I have used this method and I know it works but you will need to study it and study which sprawl models you want or don't want replaced.

***EDIT: Even though I created some nice columns in my post edit for some reason they are not displayed in the actual post. They exist when I edit my post. So I uploaded them as excel documents. Which now brings me to the next advice: use excel to quickly replace values in large tables (use "find and replace"). For example for the next building level rom_city_celts_2 just use the above aforementioned tool to find the word rom_city_celts_1 and replace it with rom_city_celts_2 and copy paste to the table!
    Last edited by Athanasios55; December 11, 2020 at 05:03 AM.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

ehi athanasios...
    can you produce a simple pack for whatever building... something like rome having barbarian buidling models?
    please?
    could come in handy since I'll need to do this thing too for ror666
    thanks

Anything for you Jake! But send me a PM for details, if you want. So you want something like a template? It's not hard actually, you can do most of the work in the excel documents and then copy paste. The only problem is that you should know the sprawls you need to replace. In my WoS mod I removed Sparta's walls with this method (linked the wall sprawls of my unique settlement building to empty model).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Athanasios55; December 11, 2020 at 08:21 AM.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

ah...
    are you talking about strat map?
    I tought you were talking about battle maps (applying battle building culture models for other cultures basically...)

Hmm I think the mod of this guy can provide some ideas for battle map building culture https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1551453062

In my case I simply removed the battle wall effect from the custom settlement buildings so I didn't consider the campaign/battle cultural difference.

Funnily there is a battlefield building column in building culture variants table but I am pretty sure it doesn't work.

Aaaand I now realize I forgot to ask whether Jayman was interested in the battlefield or the campaign map
    Last edited by Athanasios55; December 11, 2020 at 09:22 AM.

Jayman's Avatar Libertus

Hello Athanasios,
    Thank you for producing the necessary entries. It is clear and easily understood. I have used the "find and replace" in excel to make the adjustments as advised. I am also modding according to DEI, which is why I used the older version. I found barbarian sprawl_edge references in campaign_settlement_display_buildings such as veneti_sprawl_edge_1_lvl1. Would these be the correct building path?

I am interested in applying the walls to both campaign and battlefield maps. Your instructions are for campaign map only it seems. I will test these tonight and will include rom_Roman under culture in campaign_settlement_display_building_ids to see if that changes anything. The author of the mentioned Region Settlements mod stated that he edited "tile_upgrades.xml", which is based by region not building. I am not experienced using xml. I am hoping for an alternative route using the main settlement building, if possible (even if I must create superchains and chains to make it happen). You mentioned a battlefield_building column in building_culture_varients. Do you have any idea what entry I could try?

Hello

The veneti sprawl, afaik, is linked to barbarian building model so yes it uses a path you can use.

Also why add the culture in the culture column? I didn't mention it and I don't think it's relevant in this situation.

About linking campaign buildings to battlefield buildings: it is not possible. There are specific maps with only a couple of variations to their size. There is a small link between the level of the buildings in the settlement and what siege map size will appear in the battle but you can't affect the siege map layout itself with anything else other than a battlefield map editor.

Being eager to show my little trick to change the appearance of the campaign walls it's true as I said above that I forgot the battlefield itself. It seems then that your idea of Rome constructing barbarian walls can't be applied correctly, unless you are happy with only the campaign map showing barb walls. You can however study the Regional Settlements mod and perhaps think wether you would like to expand on it and make Rome able to retain and upgrade the barbarian buildings while having barbarian settlements in battle too.

I know you are excited about your ideas but you need to accept that some may not work. (not your fault, it's the game's fault for making simple things hard). If you take a look around ths forum I think you will understand how many ideas I have abandoned due to simple things not working as intended!!!

Jayman's Avatar Libertus

I abandoned the project. This is not the first nor the last. If battlemap walls do not work, its not worth it for this project. Thank you for your responses. I at least learned something new, which I am grateful for.

Vadimus's Avatar Foederatus

Hello
    For Total War Attila
    I'd like to ask you a question about recording individual walls on a separate level of the city.
    For example, I need the eastern walls for the Roman city of the third level.
    Explain how to prescribe it.
    I've already asked you this question on Steam

You need to make a new ID, connect it to the sprawl and the building level

And then connect the ID with the model you want to appear

Vadimus's Avatar Foederatus

Thank you for your response.