Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63

Thread: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

  1. #1

    Default How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    First version came in 2014 and since then the mod has come a long way from there.

    Two years have passed since the last release.

    I wonder how different will be 2.4 compared to 2.35?

    Will it be radically different or it will be just version 2.35+?
    Last edited by NapoleonMaster; December 08, 2020 at 10:53 AM.

  2. #2
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,824

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    Some factions have been rewritten. Lots more units. A host of remodelled/textured units. New scripts and such. Major elements completely changed, like the bandit spawns and the Troublesome Regions script.

    Radically different.

  3. #3

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Some factions have been rewritten. Lots more units. A host of remodelled/textured units. New scripts and such. Major elements completely changed, like the bandit spawns and the Troublesome Regions script.

    Radically different.
    Does this mean that 2.4 is already being worked on? Is there still going to be a version 2.35A or are you just going straight ahead to 2.4?

  4. #4
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,824

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mór Ó Néill View Post
    Does this mean that 2.4 is already being worked on? Is there still going to be a version 2.35A or are you just going straight ahead to 2.4?
    I'm talking about the 2.35A patch, which is coming.

    2.4 will have many more changes, revamped and new factions, all sorts. There are activities which go into 2.4 which are underway.

  5. #5

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I'm talking about the 2.35A patch, which is coming.

    2.4 will have many more changes, revamped and new factions, all sorts. There are activities which go into 2.4 which are underway.
    Ah I see. I know the date of the patch itself is TBC but will there be patch notes anytime soon?

  6. #6
    Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Where I'm at.
    Posts
    781

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    This can not be allowed.

    After all these years, I'm *still* trying to learn how to play this version.

    Now you want to go and change things on me?

  7. #7

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    Learning it all over again is going to keep it fresh. I really REALLY really really want the Troublesome region, and Rebellion rework to be great. I am so tired of never having to worry about my home provinces. Rebellions, destroyed lots of empires, and caused major power shifts. Obviously this had an impact on rome to, but ever since medieval 1 total war there has never been civil wars. From what you said about it so far, it will spawn the correct type of army that is local to that region that would rebel. Will The rebels progress with time? More thorakitai, and thureophoroi rebels in 230-200 bc?

  8. #8
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,824

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mór Ó Néill View Post
    Ah I see. I know the date of the patch itself is TBC but will there be patch notes anytime soon?
    There's a changelog thread detailing what's changed since 2.3.

    Quote Originally Posted by moisesjns View Post
    Learning it all over again is going to keep it fresh. I really REALLY really really want the Troublesome region, and Rebellion rework to be great. I am so tired of never having to worry about my home provinces. Rebellions, destroyed lots of empires, and caused major power shifts. Obviously this had an impact on rome to, but ever since medieval 1 total war there has never been civil wars. From what you said about it so far, it will spawn the correct type of army that is local to that region that would rebel. Will The rebels progress with time? More thorakitai, and thureophoroi rebels in 230-200 bc?
    No, there's no progression in the units used, that would add a lot of complexity to them. For the most part they represent highlanders, pastoralists and so on who aren't necessarily contemporary in military terms.

    From playtesting, the fact that they're quality compositions (even though small) is what makes them threatening. Especially if you've only got small garrisons comprised of levies in your "interior".
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; December 09, 2020 at 05:39 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    Will the greek be added as troublesome region?

    Since currently even with -20% laws and happiness debuff and despite greek faction that is not koinon hellenon tends to be a poor governor are still capable to reliably control greek city state.

    Or could it be like pontus sinope scipted invasion where if you capture certain region ptoleamic will intervene? I'm pretty sure greek are kinda infamous on asking outside power to come and liberate them.

  10. #10
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,824

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by eyelurker View Post
    Will the greek be added as troublesome region?

    Since currently even with -20% laws and happiness debuff and despite greek faction that is not koinon hellenon tends to be a poor governor are still capable to reliably control greek city state.

    Or could it be like pontus sinope scipted invasion where if you capture certain region ptoleamic will intervene? I'm pretty sure greek are kinda infamous on asking outside power to come and liberate them.
    Troublesome Regions are now integrated into the wider revolts script. What it means is that they trigger more frequently than non-Troublesome Regions. But everywhere (with the exception of a faction's "home" province when they own it) is subject to potential revolts.

    It's not a reactive script triggered by events, it's a random chance of a small stack appearing (with a cooldown to stop them happening repeatedly in quick succession).

  11. #11

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Troublesome Regions are now integrated into the wider revolts script. What it means is that they trigger more frequently than non-Troublesome Regions. But everywhere (with the exception of a faction's "home" province when they own it) is subject to potential revolts.

    It's not a reactive script triggered by events, it's a random chance of a small stack appearing (with a cooldown to stop them happening repeatedly in quick succession).
    What makes the "small" stack a challenge? Is it that it spawns with a Good General, and Experience units? Cause beating a bunch of eastern skirmishers, and eastern spearman as Pontus, sounds really easy. If the army spawns with a General AI, that has good command experience to make the units tougher and less likely to rout that would help a lot. Im hoping its not a simple 6 stack army, that has mostly infantry with no experience and no cavalry.

  12. #12
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,824

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by moisesjns View Post
    What makes the "small" stack a challenge? Is it that it spawns with a Good General, and Experience units? Cause beating a bunch of eastern skirmishers, and eastern spearman as Pontus, sounds really easy. If the army spawns with a General AI, that has good command experience to make the units tougher and less likely to rout that would help a lot. Im hoping its not a simple 6 stack army, that has mostly infantry with no experience and no cavalry.
    They're 5 or 8 units in size, led by a cavalry unit with a named character, who has experience and morale boosting traits. The larger one has two cavalry units (obviously in steppe regions, they're mostly- or all-cavalry).

    The way the AI behaves with them, they attack lightly-defended settlements. What they're designed to do is force you to properly garrison your interior regions (which costs you money and time) or else lose them. They're not supposed to be an entirely new challenge that are an alternative to fighting the AI factions.

  13. #13
    Lusitanio's Avatar Content Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    They're 5 or 8 units in size, led by a cavalry unit with a named character, who has experience and morale boosting traits. The larger one has two cavalry units (obviously in steppe regions, they're mostly- or all-cavalry).

    The way the AI behaves with them, they attack lightly-defended settlements. What they're designed to do is force you to properly garrison your interior regions (which costs you money and time) or else lose them. They're not supposed to be an entirely new challenge that are an alternative to fighting the AI factions.
    In addition to this, if they aren't dealt with for a long time, another 8 units spawn might appear and they almost always merge, so you will be facing a very strong army.

  14. #14
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,824

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    In addition to this, if they aren't dealt with for a long time, another 8 units spawn might appear and they almost always merge, so you will be facing a very strong army.
    I should add that if anyone wants to know more about how the new revolts script performs in play, Lusitanio has more experience than anyone else in this.

  15. #15

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    Just a question, do we get any warning when the rebels spawn? It gets really tedious to visually inspect your whole empire every turn.

  16. #16

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    From my experience since it's a rebel spawn rather than scripted rebel there will be no notification if the rebel appear.

    But then again i always use watchtower to lookout for rebel

  17. #17
    Lusitanio's Avatar Content Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Just a question, do we get any warning when the rebels spawn? It gets really tedious to visually inspect your whole empire every turn.
    You don't get a warning but there are always ways to notice them, watchtowers help, of course, but it's easy to notice the devastation on the terrain if a rebel army is in your lands. It's not that tedious either since its not that much frequent.

  18. #18

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    Is there a noticeable impact on performance from the new scripts? I still have PTSD from the three-minute turn times on other Med 2 mods, unlike EB which always seemed to be noticeably faster.

  19. #19
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,824

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mór Ó Néill View Post
    Is there a noticeable impact on performance from the new scripts? I still have PTSD from the three-minute turn times on other Med 2 mods, unlike EB which always seemed to be noticeably faster.
    It's one long monitor, not multiple, so it shouldn't have a great impact. Again Lusitanio is the man with playtesting experience.

  20. #20
    Lusitanio's Avatar Content Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mór Ó Néill View Post
    Is there a noticeable impact on performance from the new scripts? I still have PTSD from the three-minute turn times on other Med 2 mods, unlike EB which always seemed to be noticeably faster.
    Overall, the changes might have increased the turn time 1/2 seconds more.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •