Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

Default Re: How much of an upgrade will be version 2.4?

Well i am very glad to hear that. I will look forward to it. And probably intentionally let the 8 stack spawn just to RP a civil war. I really wish they had not removed Civil war funtions from TW. But it seems obvious to me they went to graphics over AI ever since rome total war. Civil wars were removed, No more giving random titles, to generals who would in turn gain more power and possibly revolt. Civil wars are obviously pretty frequent in this time period from the "recorded" history at least its shown, imagine all the civil wars that may have not been documented.

The 8 unit stacks, in some instances, represent local elites rising against the ruling powers.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    The 8 unit stacks, in some instances, represent local elites rising against the ruling powers.
    And can be quite a menace. For example, in my most recent Carthaginian campaign, I was at war with the Celtiberians, Romans and the Epirotes so I didn't had time to send troops to deal with the rebels. Because of that 3 rebel stacks joined in Bruttium and suddendly there was a huge stack of almost 3000 soldiers. While this is rare, it can happen indeed.

I would prefer if this feature could be manageable by the player instead of being totally RNG, tbh.

That's because I think that player agency is crucial in RTS games.

By the way, i'm not against rng but it would be better if you could control a bit the frequency of rebellions.

For example : If your region is unhappy then rebellions would happen more frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonMaster View Post
    I would prefer if this feature could be manageable by the player instead of being totally RNG, tbh.

That's because I think that player agency is crucial in RTS games.

By the way, i'm not against rng but it would be better if you could control a bit the frequency of rebellions.

For example : If your region is unhappy then rebellions would happen more frequently.
    Adding player control would hugely increase the complexity of it. And it's not totally random, there's a cooldown so they can't happen turn after turn in rapid succession.

On average a non-Troublesome Region gets one spawn every 40 turns. For Troublesome Regions it's about every 25 turns.

I see.

I didn't knew about the new system.

It's actually much better than the totally rng system of previous versions tbh.

However, if someone could pull of a dynamic rebellion system then that would be a plus for me.

I think some factions or regions should be removed from the scripts for the first turns of the game. If you start as a hard faction that needs to bliz out the already existing rebels (Sweboz, Saba, Pontos, etc.) then being unlucky with this script can single handlely destroy your game. I think small factions should be somewhat shielded from these spawns for the first turns of the game, or they may be just destroyed by rebels outright.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    I think some factions or regions should be removed from the scripts for the first turns of the game. If you start as a hard faction that needs to bliz out the already existing rebels (Sweboz, Saba, Pontos, etc.) then being unlucky with this script can single handlely destroy your game. I think small factions should be somewhat shielded from these spawns for the first turns of the game, or they may be just destroyed by rebels outright.
    All of them start in cooldown, if I'm remembering correctly, so there shouldn't be any right at the start. After all, there are already Rebel stacks all over the place and spawning rovers, too.

You also never get them in your starting capital.

btw, Quintus. Are there going to be changes to battles in the next patch?

Like you know, like phalanxes?

As you may have all gathered, you won't be getting the 2.35A patch for Christmas. We haven't even started playtesting the current build, and we're not going to release something untested into the wild, which needs an immediate Day One patch.

However, work carries on apace, and there may be a surprise coming...

As you may have all gathered, you won't be getting the 2.35A patch for Christmas. We haven't even started playtesting the current build, and we're not going to release something untested into the wild, which needs an immediate Day One patch.

However, work carries on apace, and there may be a surprise coming...

So when is the patch released ? Last release was 2 years ago
    EBII look more and more like a dying mod.

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheScrooge View Post
    So when is the patch released ? Last release was 2 years ago
    EBII look more and more like a dying mod.
    It'll be released when we've had a chance to playtest the current build. Given things are still being added to it right now, that's not yet.

EBII certainly isn't dead or dying, given the amount of work going on backstage.

Christianus's Avatar Miles

Never got the feeling it was dying. More a feeling that things wont be released before it is perfected
    Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

Do yall really wanna rush it just after Cyberpunk?

It'll be released when we've had a chance to playtest the current build. Given things are still being added to it right now, that's not yet.

EBII certainly isn't dead or dying, given the amount of work going on backstage.

So in 2 years you didn't have time to playtest ?

Senator

...They are still working on the patch.Many things weren't finished two years ago so they obviously couldn't playtest it.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

You can only playtest a stable build, to which you are not adding anything, or the entire exercise is pointless.

We are still adding things to it, so there's no fixed state that can be tested, yet. The short runs being done by people to check things they've put in don't count.

I'm talking about the 2.35A patch, which is coming.

2.4 will have many more changes, revamped and new factions, all sorts. There are activities which go into 2.4 which are underway.
    You can only playtest a stable build, to which you are not adding anything, or the entire exercise is pointless.

We are still adding things to it, so there's no fixed state that can be tested, yet. The short runs being done by people to check things they've put in don't count.

The patch is coming.
    But as it has not be playetested it's not coming.
    No the mod is not dying.

The patch is coming.
    But as it has not be playetested it's not coming.
    No the mod is not dying.
    No offense man but you seem unfamiliar with basic software development. Usually once all the features that design leads want are complete, the current build is "feature locked" (i.e. nothing else gets added in - absolutely nothing!) and in-depth QA testing begins. Only when that's done is the software released. Based on the current changelog that was posted as a thread a while back and some comments, we know the current EBII build isn't feature locked yet. Once it is feature locked, and playtesting starts, I imagine release will be a month or two after that.

ofc you can skip this whole process and just use hot code you finished the day before release at 11:59pm, but then you end up in a situation like Cyberpunk and the whole thing falls apart pretty quick and you have to release hotfixes like crazy while the whole community shouts at you.

The better mods (like Thrawn's Revenge) have a fairly strict system to avoid this exact situation. All major dev studios that know what they're doing have something similar in place too. Making games isn't just "code in feature, takes 5 mins, release, it's done, enjoy".

Pretty happy the team takes testing seriously tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Baharr View Post
    No offense man but you seem unfamiliar with basic software development. Usually once all the features that design leads want are complete, the current build is "feature locked" (i.e. nothing else gets added in - absolutely nothing!) and in-depth QA testing begins. Only when that's done is the software released. Based on the current changelog that was posted as a thread a while back and some comments, we know the current EBII build isn't feature locked yet. Once it is feature locked, and playtesting starts, I imagine release will be a month or two after that.

ofc you can skip this whole process and just use hot code you finished the day before release at 11:59pm, but then you end up in a situation like Cyberpunk and the whole thing falls apart pretty quick and you have to release hotfixes like crazy while the whole community shouts at you.

The better mods (like Thrawn's Revenge) have a fairly strict system to avoid this exact situation. All major dev studios that know what they're doing have something similar in place too. Making games isn't just "code in feature, takes 5 mins, release, it's done, enjoy".

Pretty happy the team takes testing seriously tbh.
    I wish something like an uber CI/CD were in play for this mod. Devs make a change, commit it to the repository, click a button, and the new version is instantly beamed into the PCs of everyone who has installed the mod. But that's not possible, so the next best thing is as you mentioned releasing only after comprehensive developing and testing

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast