Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detailled unit stats (for SSSHIP 097F,G)

Default Detailled unit stats (for SSSHIP 097F,G)

Hello guys,

Here is a little mini-mod for the players who like to have more numbers and infos about the units. It is also the first step in our plan with Kilo11 to review the unit descriptions: he'll do the nice, immersive and coherent phrasing, while I program the automatic data export to the units cards. But this version here follow a more "numbers-in-your-face" approach!

This idea comes from a discussion with Jurand of Cracow, and is inspired by a EBII submod: EUD_Mod. I did not use their code though, as I don't now python. My own will be released in my Toolbox (link in signature), anyone can use it and modify it for any purpose.

Version:
    • v0.1 (for SSHIP 0.97 patch F) - released 2020/12/06

Installation:

• download the file
    • copy and replace in data/text folder
    • delete the file descr_units.text.string.bin in the same /data/text folder(the games will then regenerate the file on launch, with the updated descriptions)

Future plans:
    • To release a more literary version, working on it with Kilo11
    • If anyone knows how to remove the "abilities at a glance" part from the unit descriptions, I'll be grateful! Or even how to remove the display of the stats in the white panel, so everything would be in one place.
    • Be more fine-tuned on the stats exported: for the ships we don't need to know the charge distance or terrain combat modifiers!
    • I'm sure players will have some feedback on how to improve the clarity of the sentences (not a native speaker!) or the way the detailed stats are displayed. I'm open for feedback and will implement nice ideas if I know how to program them and have the time.
    • make an easier installation (folder and bin file will be included in future downloads)

Screenshots!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; January 17, 2021 at 10:23 AM. Reason: JoC: Precision in the title.
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Detailled unit stats

Yeah , this looks great. Good Job!

This is a great start Belovese! Do you think you could post a couple more screenshots though? Like, one for a solid cavalry unit, one for a professional infantry unit, and one for a ranged unit? With that breadth of units (and their attributes) to look over, I can pretty easily start putting together some phrasing to encase the data.

A question to potential users of such a mini-mod: Would you all prefer the data Belovese is exporting to be more "in-your-face", in the way he has it, or would you rather have it all be encased in nice rich text that contains all the data? I just want to gauge general interest in different strategies. However, I think it might also be a rather straightforward thing for Belovese and I to make two versions of the final text. We are still discussing the details though
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    This is a great start Belovese! Do you think you could post a couple more screenshots though? Like, one for a solid cavalry unit, one for a professional infantry unit, and one for a ranged unit? With that breadth of units (and their attributes) to look over, I can pretty easily start putting together some phrasing to encase the data.
    Hey Kilo! I'll add more screenshots when I go back to my windows laptop (maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow). I also noticed I did not include a parameter: move_speed_modifier (wich is pretty self-explanatory!). I'll put it in the next version.

A question to potential users of such a mini-mod: Would you all prefer the data Belovese is exporting to be more "in-your-face", in the way he has it, or would you rather have it all be encased in nice rich text that contains all the data? I just want to gauge general interest in different strategies. However, I think it might also be a rather straightforward thing for Belovese and I to make two versions of the final text. We are still discussing the details though
    My guess is both! I fell that an encased rich text version fits the SSHIP ambiance more, but an improved version of the bare data would not be hard to update for each release, as it's an automated export. But I'm also wanting to see what the feedback from users is.

I strongly support this project. Certain units only really differ from each other based on hidden stats, like morale, possible armor upgrades, mass, speed, etc. This allows the players to make more informed decisions, which I believe is a good thing. This is why I encourage people to dig around the text files, but if the information is available in-game, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    I strongly support this project. Certain units only really differ from each other based on hidden stats, like morale, possible armor upgrades, mass, speed, etc. This allows the players to make more informed decisions, which I believe is a good thing. This is why I encourage people to dig around the text files, but if the information is available in-game, even better.
    Thank you! we will try to find a good balance between info and immersion.

Quote Originally Posted by Belovèse View Post
    Thank you! we will try to find a good balance between info and immersion.
    Which reminds me, try to also get movement speed attribute. That one's important. Worth keeping in mind as well the unit type or mount type, that also have its own effect on movement speed. Sadly getting a unified, objective value, would demand lot of testing...

Which reminds me, try to also get movement speed attribute. That one's important. Worth keeping in mind as well the unit type or mount type, that also have its own effect on movement speed. Sadly getting a unified, objective value, would demand lot of testing...
    Are you talking about move_speed_entry? If yes I also saw I missed that one, I'll add it for v0.2.
    About the mount and unit type effect on speed, is it parameters I can found in another file? I know mounts are defined somewhere but I never messed with it. Anyway if the parameter is written somewhere in the file I could access it and display the result of a basic formula (base spreed x move_speed_mod)

Can't help with that. In fact, as far as I know, nobody actually managed to get objective numbers on mount effect on speed. At least as far as unit descriptions in other mods go.

Can't help with that. In fact, as far as I know, nobody actually managed to get objective numbers on mount effect on speed. At least as far as unit descriptions in other mods go.
    No worries, I'm sure Kostic will be able to help me if he wander here. And if not I'll ask him directly!

What python file are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by HaruHaias View Post
    What python file are you using?
    Hello HaruHaias! I'm not using any python file: I had a look at what you posted in this thread (thanks again!), but wasn't able to make it work (don't know anything about python). And as I was looking for a project to get me started on JavaScript, I decided to try to do the same on my own. I'm still polishing it a bit but I intend to release the code in my Toolbox here.

kostic's Avatar Senator

I don't know what you want to change with the mounts but I find the current balancing very satisfying...
    I did not touch the numbers assigned in descr_mount... for fear of unbalancing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    I don't know what you want to change with the mounts but I find the current balancing very satisfying...
    I did not touch the numbers assigned in descr_mount... for fear of unbalancing the game.
    Hey Kostic! I'm not looking to change them, just to extract them and display them in the unit descriptions.

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Hey guys , idk if this was suggested before, but i think Merchant Cav Militia should be renamed to just Caravan Guards and be a cheaper version of the light cavalry (mounted sergeants) in all aspects. Also , i suppose kostic could give them light armor and small axes / spears , wooden mallets or clubs with a small shield on lame horses or ponies even, but this later.

Despite the apparent stats, Serjs are in fact much better than the merchants. They got significantly more moral, need way less space to charge, and their charges are much more devastating. Furthermore, these suggestions apply more to the general development thread than this specific submod.

Love it, thanks. I've always wanted something like this, and have modified this file myself before in SS6.4. Thanks again!
    Pleasant it is, when over a great sea the winds trouble the waters, to gaze from shore upon another's tribulation: not because any man's troubles are a delectable joy, but because to perceive from what ills you are free yourself is pleasant - Lucretius

Thank you! I'm working on a new version, a bit less spreadsheet-y and with some changes in the order stats are shown.

First and only bug so far. Do you happen to have the original files, so I can swap if it becomes a problem?

Thanks for the report, I updated the download link in the first post with both the original file and an updated version corrected for Alari horse archer.
    I'll look to fix the problem in my code also.

By the way, quick announcement: I did not forfeit working on these descriptions, but for now I'm busy working on the scripts for the future 098 release. Same goes for my diplomacy submod.

EDIT: By the way it is a bug that gave me a feature idea: have a fast summary of the unit stats on the mouseover panel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast