Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me minimize the Byzantine Empire Territory

Default Help me minimize the Byzantine Empire Territory

Hello Strategists,

I'm writing you to help me start a campaign in the latest patch with the Byzantine Empire starting only with Constantinople. I Believe it would be a fun challenge. I need guidance into how to minimize the Byzantine Empire into starting with Constantinople only in the beginning of the campaign, is it possible to edit the script to apply that? and will it not destabilize the AI or campaign timeline? Thank you.

Default Re: Help me minimize the Byzantine Empire Territory

You need to modify the descr_strat file inside SSHIP/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial campaign/ folders. Simplest would probably be to simply delete all other settlement lines that belong to the Byzantines. Probably it would be wise to relocate your family members to the capitol first. I played with things like that years ago, but don't know how well it would play out with SSHIP.

Immediately noticed I made a mistake, you should cut the settlements belonging to Byzantium and paste them under rebel faction.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Should be quite simple - you need to change descr_strat.txt. Move cities and armies to the slave faction part. Check in EDU if slave faction has access to all units, the names should be ok (but I'm not 100% sure)

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Please post it as a minimod if you could ,i am interested in this file as well

It worked! And it's difficultly brilliant!! I followed JoC's advice of transferring the settlements and armies data into the SLAVE faction and by doing so I was left only with the emperor, two admirals, and good amount of agents.

Now the Byzantine campaign feels for me more focused, However, I wish Emperor Basileus had more 3 grown children so they could help start a stable dynasty, this would give the campaign a meaningful and enjoyable story, Would you help me or guide me into editing the Byzantine Family tree after I applied this edit? Thank you!

@Nemesis2345The edited Descr_Strat is attached. descr_strat.rardescr_strat.rar

I tried to look into the advance family tree tutorial in the TWC Library, and it made a lot of sense, however I find it difficult to apply the directions there in the extensively modified SSHIP files.

Would you help me with that? would you give Emperor Basileus a beautiful wife and three children in order to make this edit an ultimate Byzantine experience? thank you in advance!

Hi Cigar,
    At the moment no one of us in the dev team deals with the family trees. They've been fixed by VineFynn for 096, but he's vanished in the RL. So there's no expertise among us to help you.
    BTW, I actually wonder how the game behaves if you've transfered the Byzantine generals to the slave faction. Interesting to hear your experience.
    JoC

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Thank you , indeed this is going to be difficult for the players , maybe if we give them at least 1 more city and a castle (adrianapolis and nicaea or thessalonika) would be a more ,,balanced'' thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Hi Cigar,
    At the moment no one of us in the dev team deals with the family trees. They've been fixed by VineFynn for 096, but he's vanished in the RL. So there's no expertise among us to help you.
    BTW, I actually wonder how the game behaves if you've transfered the Byzantine generals to the slave faction. Interesting to hear your experience.
    JoC

Thank you for your Response JoC. The AI was quite supportive as it started to reconstruct the family tree by the first turn, Hopefully by the 50th turn I may have a functioning dynasty influencing the empire.

The Games behavior is indeed interesting as I noticed how specifically Serbia and the Turks have became highly dynamic from the first turn, Serbia by the 10th turn started attempting to besiege Thessalonica, while the Turks by the 18th turn managed to occupy Nicocea. which is a fun "Troubling" situation for a faction like Byzantium, specially with their strong units comparing to the Serb and Turk early game units. I will continue updating on this campaign in the "Empire's Maps Thread". Again, Thank you for helping me make it happen Jurand!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis2345 View Post
    Thank you , indeed this is going to be difficult for the players , maybe if we give them at least 1 more city and a castle (adrianapolis and nicaea or thessalonika) would be a more ,,balanced'' thing.
    It is difficult on the level of long-term potential. as I started my campaign, occupying Adrianapolis Fort was enough to revive my economy and reconstruct my armies. Also Constantinople is a massive source of income, specially for a small faction and army in the beginning of the campaign. as I reached my 20th turn my treasury already reached 70K from only two settlements, which allowed me to build the biggest army in the region. this in my opinion decreases the difficulty. however I wonder how this will work when Byzantium expands back to bigger territory and the surrounding factions will develop. So far the Turks are growing over Sinope and Cypres, while the Serbians already invading Greece by the 10th turn, I wonder how this opportunity will influence these factions growth, strength and influence in the region by the 100 turn. will update in the "Empire Maps" thread.

I understand you've meant 17k, not 70k. It still little money for the necessary upkeep.

The best place for map updates is in this thread - the AAR section would indeally consist of no-modded AARs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I understand you've meant 17k, not 70k. It still little money for the necessary upkeep.

The best place for map updates is in this thread - the AAR section would indeally consist of no-modded AARs.
    Absolutely, Future updates will be posted here.

I played Byzantine campaign recently on VH/VH and noticed that one can practically blitzkrieg the Rum Seljuk's in few turns, attacking them immediately in the beginning of the game.. The reputation suffers but there is no real threat to Byzantines in the beginning in the west, no diplomacy is really needed. Maybe it would be a good idea to give the Rum a little stronger starting army so they become a little bit of a challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by Macaras View Post
    I played Byzantine campaign recently on VH/VH and noticed that one can practically blitzkrieg the Rum Seljuk's in few turns, attacking them immediately in the beginning of the game.. The reputation suffers but there is no real threat to Byzantines in the beginning in the west, no diplomacy is really needed. Maybe it would be a good idea to give the Rum a little stronger starting army so they become a little bit of a challenge?
    I'd rather go for a "William Wallace" type of assistance. If Byzantines are the player and Rum is left with 1 settlement, then strong 1-2 full-stacks emerge.

I think it's a great idea !

Quote Originally Posted by Macaras View Post
    I think it's a great idea !
    To be included in the next version:
    Code:
        ;====================================================================================================== 
      ;------- Turcoman Help for Rum  -----------------------------------------------------------------------
        ;======================================================================================================
        ; by JoC 2020

;====================================================================================================== Turcoman Help for Rum
        ; the goal is to make the life of Byzantium more difficult early game (when it matters)
        ; script is a replica of William Wallace script

declare_counter turcoman_rum_uprising_spawned
        set_counter turcoman_rum_uprising_spawned 0

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType rum
            and I_NumberOfSettlements rum < 2
            and I_NumberOfSettlements rum > 0
            and I_CompareCounter turcoman_rum_uprising_spawned = 0

set_counter turcoman_rum_uprising_spawned 1

terminate_monitor
        end_monitor

monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionType rum
            and I_CompareCounter turcoman_rum_uprising_spawned = 1

if RandomPercent > 80
            spawn_army
                faction rum
                character    Orhan Arslan, named character, age 35, x 307, y 123, family
                traits LoyaltyStarter 1 , MilitaryInclination 1 , Military_Edu 3 , GoodCommander 2 , ReligionStarter 1 , Royal_Blood_Rum_Turkish 1 , BiologicalSon 1 , Handsome 6 , Intelligent 8 
                    unit    ME Bodyguard                exp 3 armour 1 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit    Turkomans                    exp 7 armour 1 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit    Turkomans                    exp 4 armour 1 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit    Turkomans                    exp 1 armour 1 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit    Turkomans                    exp 0 armour 1 weapon_lvl 0    
                    unit    Turkomans                    exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0    
                    unit    Turkish Horse Archers        exp 7 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit    Turkish Horse Archers        exp 4 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit    Turkish Horse Archers        exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit    Turkish Horse Archers        exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
            end

end_if

if RandomPercent > 60
            spawn_army
                faction rum
                character    Ahmed Arslan, named character, age 25, x 306, y 123, family
                traits LoyaltyStarter 1 , MilitaryInclination 1 , Military_Edu 2 , GoodCommander 1 , ReligionStarter 1 , Royal_Blood_Rum_Turkish 1 , BiologicalSon 1 , Handsome 4 , Intelligent 6 
                    unit    ME Bodyguard                exp 3 armour 1 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit    Turkomans                    exp 0 armour 1 weapon_lvl 0    
                    unit    Fari Horse Archers            exp 4 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit    Dismounted Fari Archers        exp 4 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit    Dismounted Fari Archers        exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit    Turkish Archers                exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0        
            end

end_if

if RandomPercent > 40
            spawn_army
                faction rum
                character    Fakih Arslan, named character, age 20, x 306, y 124, family
                traits LoyaltyStarter 1 , MilitaryInclination 1 , Military_Edu 1 , Auster 1 , ReligionStarter 1 , Royal_Blood_Rum_Turkish 1 , BiologicalSon 1 , Handsome 4 , Intelligent 6 
                    unit    ME Bodyguard                exp 1 armour 1 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit    Fari Horse Archers            exp 7 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit    Fari Horse Archers            exp 4 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit    Fari Horse Archers            exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit    Dismounted Fari Archers        exp 7 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit    Dismounted Fari Archers        exp 4 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
                    unit    Dismounted Fari Archers        exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
            end

end_if

historic_event TURCOMAN_HELP_FOR_RUM

if I_SettlementOwner Konya = byzantium
                console_command diplomatic_stance rum byzantium war
            end_if

if I_SettlementOwner Konya = zengid
                console_command diplomatic_stance rum zengid war
            end_if

if I_SettlementOwner Konya = jerusalem
                console_command diplomatic_stance rum jerusalem war
            end_if

if I_SettlementOwner Konya = georgia
                console_command diplomatic_stance rum georgia war
            end_if

if I_SettlementOwner Konya = abbasid
                console_command diplomatic_stance rum abbasid war
            end_if

if I_SettlementOwner Konya = mongols
                console_command diplomatic_stance rum mongols war
            end_if

if I_SettlementOwner Konya = turks
                console_command diplomatic_stance rum turks war
            end_if

if I_SettlementOwner Konya = kievan_rus
                console_command diplomatic_stance rum kievan_rus war
            end_if

if I_SettlementOwner Konya = cumans
                console_command diplomatic_stance rum cumans war
            end_if

if I_SettlementOwner Konya = serbia
                console_command diplomatic_stance rum serbia war
            end_if

terminate_monitor
        end_monitor
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; December 04, 2020 at 04:49 PM.

Interestingly the Kingdom of Jerusalem have vanished and turned into rebels by the 17th turn.

Jerusalem - looks like they lost FL and FH and turned rebel. Interestingly, they haven't resurrected fo 50 turns now.
    Te rest of the map is standard but Serbia - lack of Byzantium did this faction a huge favour.

The Campaign is very enjoyable so far. After repelling the Seljuk invasion and wrecking their Kingdom along with my Georgian allies, I focused my attention on the Levant, especially that the Kingdom of Jerusalem is weirdly not resurrected which gave the Fatimid Mamelukes superiority in the region. not until my campaign towards Jerusalem started.

I broke my way into Acre and Tripoli and from their I headed to Damascus as a first phase. Interestingly I noticed the presence of Foreign Generals in the ranks of the Fatimids. mainly from Germany. It's impressive how the AI led that General towards Egypt and gave him a functioning military role.

This phenomena repeated itself as one of my generals married an Abassid princess leading him to become the faction heir of the Abbasids, I found it ironic since he had the "Dislikes Muslims" trait. I lost track of that general after few turns, I wonder what his fate was.

as my armies reached Jerusalem the Zingeds collapsed during their war with the Georgians, however they resurrected in less than15 turns. The Papacy dominated most of Italy while Serbia surrounded Hungary, Latvia dominated most of Poland. I expected HRE would get through a weird scenario yet they're still dominating central europe and about to wreck Denmark in few turns.

Regarding Byzantium my campaigns to retrieve Minor Asia and the Levant were quite challenging yet successful, I noticed in battle that my Cavalry is quite slow not only comparing to the Fatimid ones but even to the standard Europeans.
    After taking Jerusalem and signing a peace treaty, I started a new campaign towards Rome starting from Sicily which is still occupied by the Sicilian Normans. As my army arrived and the battle started my cavalry were so slow that they couldn't catch the escaping enemy Sicilian cavalry and generals. However still impressive army structure for Byzantium, I see it as the best so far.

as I wrap my 138th lap and reach 1200AD, I mark the success of the first part of my third campaign, which lays in laying a foot Italy, now I'm walking on Ice as I'm contemplating how to advance deeper into the region, either by bribery or force.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast