Thread: IWTE - Character, Unit, Skeleton and Animation editing.

Default IWTE - Character, Unit, Skeleton and Animation editing.

Versions of IWTE from December 2020 onwards support editing of Strat Character, Battle Map Unit and Siege meshes and their associated cas animations in Blender/3dsMax via the Collada .dae import/export process.

Download the latest IWTE here.

Please discuss any Unit/Character/Skeleton/Animations issues in this thread and NOT the world editing general discussion!

Please read the documentation supplied with IWTE before asking questions.

I'm also starting to explain some elements on the wiki starting here:
    https://wiki.twcenter.net/index.php?...its_in_Blender

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Default Re: IWTE - Character, Unit, Skeleton and Animation editing.

An example of some new functionality for IWTE that is work in progress so to speak. Think the write out is all fine and should have the write back soon. Its aimed at editing via blender (as per most of the new IWTE functionality. May need to consider a name amendment for the tool also

coming soon for IWTE:

That's really cool! Would it be easy to add that animation to a mod?

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Its a combination of animations we are working on for our mod. However, it may not be 'compatible' with other mods as they tend not to use weapon bones and instead opted to add weapons via extra bones which can give a bug.

@Lusitanio - I'm not releasing the cavalry flag guy before PKH is released but there's an infantry flag bearer here: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/down...o=file&id=4595

The horse anims shown are slightly adapted Marka ones to suit my horse mesh/size using a sequence of combined: stand to walk, walk, walk to stand, attack_mid_centre.

Ait so I have finally started unit moddeling using blender, and it is working wonderfully! There is one kind of mesh file which always seems to bug out however, and that is linked to mesh-units which use the M2TW_Fast_Longbowman_string skeleton and animation. For some reason the bow bugs out any time I edit these files. When I load in the mesh using the Unit mesh/skel/Casanim procedure to turn it into dds, and then doing nothing with it before importing it back from blender I get the same issue. In blender everything looks good, good armature, anims look ok, it is just that something stretches and deforms the bow and arrow after converting it back to a mesh file. Any others who has had this problem?

when you go from cas to dae with IWTE for that model it should have written you an IWTE_dae_to_cas_.... task file in the IWTE task files folder - you need to use that task file to go back

it basically needs a list of the bone names and the order they're in - because some of the stringed bow anims had them in a different order to the one we normally write back

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    @Lusitanio - I'm not releasing the cavalry flag guy before PKH is released but there's an infantry flag bearer here: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/down...o=file&id=4595

The horse anims shown are slightly adapted Marka ones to suit my horse mesh/size using a sequence of combined: stand to walk, walk, walk to stand, attack_mid_centre.
    Working years with horses i made some interesting observations.
    MARKA horse requires rider's position adaptation (that effect with riders on the air). Also vanilla horses tent to have more nature stand before battle animations than the MARKA ones. If your tool can combine animations from both sources you can create a large variety of animations both in standing, galloping , run etc.
    EDIT: Too bad Rusichi team did not put its entire animation pack in their mod.
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; June 05, 2021 at 10:56 AM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

The tool is good for checking the rider position offset is correct, and the implications of that, .e.g if he puts the lance through the horse during certain animations etc...

I tried putting in more 'interesting' idle animations for the horses, based off marka but found the flaw with a lot of them looking wrong is that the rider and horse don't sync to the same anim, so when rider is doing the low frequency1 anim the horse will just stand idle, and when horse is doing its low frequency 1 anim rider will be at 'stand idle' so won't react, if you try rearing etc.

I swapped my saddle connection bone with the spine so it's under the saddle, which can make them sync a bit better but did require a lot of fiddling to get the offset correct again.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    The tool is good for checking the rider position offset is correct, and the implications of that, .e.g if he puts the lance through the horse during certain animations etc...

I tried putting in more 'interesting' idle animations for the horses, based off marka but found the flaw with a lot of them looking wrong is that the rider and horse don't sync to the same anim, so when rider is doing the low frequency1 anim the horse will just stand idle, and when horse is doing its low frequency 1 anim rider will be at 'stand idle' so won't react, if you try rearing etc.

I swapped my saddle connection bone with the spine so it's under the saddle, which can make them sync a bit better but did require a lot of fiddling to get the offset correct again.

My early attempts with the MARKA horses that had a lot of flaws like unssaigned vertices , on the rider's position was the change of the rider's values"
    Code:
    type                medium_horse_tgc 
    class                horse
    model                medium_horse_tgc 
    radius                1.8
    x_radius            0.8
    y_offset            0.7
    height                2.5
    mass                7.5
    banner_height        0
    bouyancy_offset        1.8
    water_trail_effect    horse_water_trail
    root_node_height    1.0
    rider_offset        0.0, 0.34, 0.74
    Compare the values with the vanilla ones.
    Code:
    type                pony
    class                horse
    model                Mount_Pony
    radius                1.8
    x_radius            0.8
    y_offset            0.7
    height                2.5
    mass                4.5
    banner_height        0
    bouyancy_offset        1.8
    water_trail_effect    horse_water_trail
    root_node_height    1.0
    ;rider_offset        0.0, 0.45, 0.35
    rider_offset        0.0, 0.38, 0.70
    But I agree..many vanilla horse animations looking more natural than the MARKA ones.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Assuming that I wish to simply reuse an existing animation, e.g. creating a Pesante variant that uses the musketeers or halberd animations and models, is it enough to export to Blender, edit/merge in the bones and attachments in the mesh, and then use the ModelsDB file to change the animation set?

Specifically, I am attempting to recreate what Delta35 did for Pike Militias with regular pikemen (and eventually all polearm units) and the unit still seems to be using the sword animations as a "secondary" once they get into melee...