Thread: Error while loading Campaign

Default Error while loading Campaign

Hi

I have a problem with loading the campaign map I made, but since I made the mod some 4 months ago, I'm unsure about where the problem lies..

The mod crashes after the campaign loading bar has reached 100 %, giving no message on the error.

I managed to figure that the game reaches the point where faction leaders are triggered, but stop working right after reaching symbol8.tga

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    09:20:01.386 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/Star_Trek/data/banners/symbols6.tga.dds is missing
    09:20:01.387 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/Star_Trek/data/banners/symbols7.tga.dds is missing
    09:20:01.387 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/Star_Trek/data/banners/symbols8.tga.dds is missing
    09:20:01.700 [system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Error while loading Campaign

1. Thank you for using Bare Geomod as the base for your mod.
    2. The next lines in a comparing log would by for interface graphic files (data/ui/northern_european/interface/sharedpage_01.tga), any chance you may have worked on the SD files in the data\ui directory?
    2a. It could also be the section where the campaign_script file gets processed, but I can't think of a reason script related that would immediately result in a crash other then a historic_event that triggers immediately at game start, said event missing text entries.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 02, 2020 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    1. Thank you for using Bare Geomod as the base for your mod.
    Always use the best , been using it since I began, why change a good thing
    2. The next lines in a comparing log would by for interface graphic files (data/ui/northern_european/interface/sharedpage_01.tga), any chance you may have worked on the SD files in the data\ui directory?
    Absolutely, I added the Borg culture, but I do not seem to have actually implemented it into descr_strat
    2a. It could also be the section where the campaign_script file gets processed, but I can't think of a reason script related that would immediately result in a crash.
    Well... No such luck..

;
    ; Campaign script
    ;
    script
    ; ---------------------
    ; counters

; ---------------------
    ; start up

;----------------------
    ; monitors

end_script

And a side note, I'm sure you get this all the time by now, but thank you immensly for all the work you have done over the years!
    I remember my first experience in here many years ago, what caught me was your love for Bicent-man, but damn have you not been one of the greatest sources of help for me over the years when it comes to m2tw!

So, doing some cleaning here and there, I got to this point:

Same error though, indefinite Freeze =(

Error has been located and fixed..

It turns out that my changes made to the ship models broke the game (not sure why, since the planet/settlements are working fine)
    The reason why the ship models did not work, is beyond my knowledge..

This is what I got so far:
    https://imgur.com/yICEm9o
    https://imgur.com/y543S5r
    https://imgur.com/KSPT0iy

Blog Entries

Ship models are a bit iffy when converting to CAS. No idea why, but I suspect it has to do with the commenting of the original model.

Suggestion: lighten up the 'wave' and 'water' tga file a bit (data\terrain\aerial_map\sea), right now the map is very dark.

Makes it a bit boring (most of the Trek-feel is with the ships, but ill manage for now)

And yes, I have tried many different designs, but the most realistic, is unfortunately also the most unplayable..
    If only the game was able to create 199 islands..

Would it, for instance, be possible to create a "super-continent" consisting of 1 pixel from all the 199 regions in one corner, and then scatter 199 regions (having them theoretically be one landmass)?

Blog Entries

I haven't tried that massive approach myself but considering that the pixel approach works to a certain extent it would be worth a try. Best to do it gradually in case you hit a unknown limit like number of pixels on a fixed landmass or whatever the game may come up with. Might need multiple super continents is what I am saying.

Another tip: you can change the size of the ship (any) model in descr_model_strat by editing the 'scale' value. Care needs to be taken not to overdo it as it would otherwise result in unseeming clipping when next to other models.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 02, 2020 at 11:54 PM.

Interesting.. I may try to make that work then (would prefer not to have "walkable" space.. But that could be fixed with some clever 'off-limit' pixels..

Thanks for your aid! Mr. Bicent-man

Blog Entries

One is glad and all that jazz

Hmm.. So now I got the campaign to load, but now the strat-model I made is invisible, is there something I have to delete in order to get them implemented?

Blog Entries

Invisible is only possible if you use alpha channel textures, eg total transparency. How are you confirming that the model is indeed invisible? Are you selecting the character in the army summary screen?

I would rather think that you may not have linked the model properly in the descr_characters file.

Well, it was a 'Total Repeat' of your own experiences: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...odels-possible

So following your own example, I finally got the ship to work! (just a test model)

Blog Entries

I simply couldn't trace that thread - still have a text file with the comment entries in my modelling directory plus that 'blank' ship model (mshd) file. But it's been ages since I used it last. No surprise that I didn't remember the model 'weighting' possibility...

Glad you got it sorted out, guess there is no limit now to the 'ship' variety. This tutorial should help with that as well, the level trait section.