Thread: Stuttering/choppy battles, but my fps counter is fine

Default Stuttering/choppy battles, but my fps counter is fine

I've set everything to low, as well as tried the recommendation I came across of setting shadows, particles, unit detail, and building detail to very high while the rest is on low. When I am in the deployment phase, everything feels very smooth, with both ultra to medium unit size. When I start the battle, it feels like I am playing under 30 fps with how choppy the camera moves around and how the units are moving on the battlefield. I was surprised when I turned on the fps counter that it was showing above 50+ fps at all times. When I switch to slow motion, it's completely fine.

I noticed in the task manager resource monitor that one core is at 100% for during my battles. I tried disabling my first core and forcing the game to use my second from a tip I saw online, but that hasn't helped either. any ideas, I don't remember having this issue last time I played dei a couple years ago.

My specs are: rx 580, intel i5 7600, 16gb ram, windows 10.

Default Re: Stuttering/choppy battles, but my fps counter is fine

The unit stuttering is common to TW, especially Rome II. There's not much you can do about that (the camera stutter is distinct). You can however try turning off the command flags in the game/battle UI and it should help a bit, however up to a certain point (large battles) the unit stuttering for many of us is simply an inevitability. I've tried Rome II/DeI on 4 different PC setups and no matter the power I always get unit stuttering at a certain point, particularly after the units engage.

pxfofo's Avatar Foederatus

Are you using any submods? Try run clean DEI.

Baltizar's Avatar Civis

Do you have Windows Defender running in the background. I found that when I was playing City Skylines and recently Rome 2, and some other games, although my FPS was Ok I was getting stuttering. I found that before I start the game if I disable real time protection in Windows defender Dashboard the stuttering stops...If you try this don't forget to activate it again when you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by pxfofo View Post
    Are you using any submods? Try run clean DEI.
    None at all, I tried a clean install of rome 2 and dei as well

Quote Originally Posted by Baltizar View Post
    Do you have Windows Defender running in the background. I found that when I was playing City Skylines and recently Rome 2, and some other games, although my FPS was Ok I was getting stuttering. I found that before I start the game if I disable real time protection in Windows defender Dashboard the stuttering stops...If you try this don't forget to activate it again when you stop playing.
    Just tried it with windows defender off, didnt change for me

Quote Originally Posted by gnosis89 View Post
    The unit stuttering is common to TW, especially Rome II. There's not much you can do about that (the camera stutter is distinct). You can however try turning off the command flags in the game/battle UI and it should help a bit, however up to a certain point (large battles) the unit stuttering for many of us is simply an inevitability. I've tried Rome II/DeI on 4 different PC setups and no matter the power I always get unit stuttering at a certain point, particularly after the units engage.
    on vanilla rome 2 and wh2 i would sometimes feel a very little bit of stuttering, but nothing close to how much I am getting on dei now. The battle camera moves so much slower once I start the battle and everything is stuttering.

Same problem, wish fps was smooth

The stuttering in battles is what the game does to avoid actually reducing your FPS to unplayable levels. Rome 2 isn't the best optimized game, and DeI is more resource-intensive than the vanilla game. Unfortunately, as you can see from your task manager, the bottleneck for TW games is usually the CPU, especially in big battles with a lot of pathfinding going on. And also the game isn't really optimized to use multiple cores on your CPU. So it'll be like that unless you reduce graphics settings or find another way to optimize it.

Make sure you have enough available ram and you are not maxing out. Also suggest using a game booster and running the game on ssd.

Make sure your ram is in dual channel mode meaning 2x8gb rather than 1x16gb,second add a fps limiter 45fps is more than enought for total wars or if you can 30fps to for this to be reduced further,jumps from 60fps to under 20fps during battles can cause this to.For amd cards which are know for poor drivers in dx11 try to add dxvk the 1.7.3 32bit one at rome 2 folder when the .exe is it may help with amd cards.

Yes my ram is 2x8gb rather than 1x16 gb. my game is running on my ssd. I just tried it on my weaker machine: 8gb ram, rx 560, ryzen 1300x. It was much smoother even though the machine is weaker, so I really have no idea what's wrong with this computer. the FPS counter was lower, but the stuttering was non existent. weird

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

This is game engine related. Simply put, game hits a bottleneck (since it only uses one core) and decided to make animations choppy while overall FPS look good. This is a thing since Empire Total War, shows up especially often in sieges. I think this mostly happens when game needs to do a lot of pathfinding calculation.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

same here...the main trigger for me during battles is when fire arrows are involved....the second a barricade/tower/ladder/etc catches fire all hell breaks loose

Foederatus

Task manager->select the rome ejecutable-> go to details->select affinity->deselect cpu 0 and cpu1->accept-> select cpu0 and cpu1-> accept. This help me a little with ryzen 2700X