Thread: Diplomacy of newer TW games...

Default Diplomacy of newer TW games...

Will there ever be any hope of having similar diplo AI in Rome II as we have in the newer TW titles? The AI in Rome II will literally go to war until they are utterly obliterated with no options for peace, declare war on factions that it makes no sense for them to declare war on and so forth....

Is there any hope? Because DeI and Rome II (and Testudo) is one of the best TW experiences to date, but will it always be lacking that....

(Not that newer TW games are perfect in that regard, but even say Shogun 2 is much improved...if only it weren't for the TERRIBLE blood animations, TROM is a great mod)

Semisalis

Default Re: Diplomacy of newer TW games...

I was thinking this myself recently...in my current DEI game I had the option of allying with Roma, and I decided to Defensive ally with them because I didn't want to get sucked into all the wars I expected Roma would declare via Military Alliance. To my surprise I still got sucked into tons of wars, because it was the tiny 2 city factions with 1 army that were declaring war on Roma, which had dozens of cities and more than 10 times their military, rather than the reverse. All this time I thought the Roma AI were the bullies but now I see it's just that the Rome 2 AI is completely suicidal and actually wants to die.

The new TW games have a problem with diplomacy however where the AI is too rational. If you build up into a large empire with lots of armies and income, nobody will ever declare war on you under any circumstances because you are too powerful, which allows you to dictate all wars for the rest of your campaign and essentially removing all challenge. A mix of AI rationalism and randomness in diplomacy would be an improvement over Rome 2's AI if it were possible.

Default Re: Diplomacy of newer TW games...

I would still rather have the later than the former (ie. more logical/rational diplo AI)....
    Regardless of small factions declaring war on larger ones, even when equal factions or larger factions declare war that are a world apart makes no sense (when they have no allies that are enemies with who they declare war on etc...)

What would be incredible would be the implementation of a warscore system of sorts like with the paradox games. (EU and CK) I heard that Jake might have been trying this in Testudo, but haven't heard anything since (though I haven't been around lately). Will check in the Testudo thread.