Thread: Tracking down website comments?

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

Default Tracking down website comments?

SO, i made a comment on a website 9-10 years ago. Is it possible to track down this specific comment using a plugin or some sort of software???

I cant seem to find the website itself.

EDIT: I did use my facebook acct to post a comment. If that helps? lol
    Last edited by Douchebag; November 29, 2020 at 04:52 PM.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Tracking down website comments?

Maybe through your activity log on Facebook.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Maybe through your activity log on Facebook.
    Nope thats only for facebook comments.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Douchebag View Post
    Then you are safe, if what you looked for was deleting it

Have you tried to search the exact sentence you posted? Assuming you remember it of course
    Last edited by Flinn; November 30, 2020 at 08:50 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Then you are safe, if what you looked for was deleting it

Have you tried to search the exact sentence you posted? Assuming you remember it of course
    No, I just think that is the only way to find this certain website. Its actually a pretty cool article mentioning Gundams and how they actually exist in real life. The person being interviewed is a whistleblower i believe.

I remember writing " Zakus! GM's FTW!!!". lol.

Also, i remember searching for this website 5 or 6 years ago and i wasnt able to find it unless i typed in the exact name of the website. Google seems to have omitted the results.
    Last edited by Douchebag; November 30, 2020 at 02:09 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

The website could have been deleted, or it could have a flag asking the Google not to index it for search results anymore.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    The website could have been deleted, or it could have a flag asking the Google not to index it for search results anymore.
    You dont happen to know any softwares do ya? Or where can i ask around for answers besides twc???

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

SO, i made a comment on a website 9-10 years ago. Is it possible to track down this specific comment using a plugin or some sort of software???

EDIT: I did use my facebook acct to post a comment. If that helps? lol
    Yes. It is possible to track down a defunct site by using the Wayback Machine (just paste the link for the site at the top and press enter). Provided that you know the web address for that site and once you have found the site then you might need to look around a bit in e.g subforums, threads, posts etc. Just to get the exact link for the comment you're looking for.

For example, here is an example what the Wayback Machine can find.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Yes. It is possible to track down a defunct site by using the Wayback Machine (just paste the link for the site at the top and press enter). Provided that you know the web address for that site and once you have found the site then you might need to look around a bit in e.g subforums, threads, posts etc. Just to get the exact link for the comment you're looking for.

For example, here is an example what the Wayback Machine can find.
    Thanks for the help Leonardo, but unfortunately, i dont know the name of the website

Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure where else you could ask. Maybe try some of the forums familiar with Gundams or a reddit community focused on that?
    The AI Workshop Creator

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Thanks for the help Leonardo, but unfortunately, i dont know the name of the website
    You know, knowing a link isn't that important but it helps. As there are other ways to find a site e.g a link on another site and most sites always have relevant links to sites e.g common sites in a community.

Do you know how many old/lost mods I have found during my time as a Senior Curator, later a Steward, in MMH?

Another example of finding old links on a defunct site and the chances are to find a specific link one is looking for increases.

What I am trying to say here, don't give up instead search like my example above and who knows what links you can find when browsing around the internet on other site you are fairly sure the actual link you want to find is there.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Depends on how much time you want to invest in looking for it, and I'm sure everyone has some form of that nostalgia; there are some obscure books I wish I still had.

Outside of lost memory hypnosis, you could sit down and slowly try to backtrack in your memory as to exactly what the information looked like and where you would have posted it, and then work your way down available search engines.

One method that worked for me was using whatever log in name I had at that particular time, combined with key wording.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    Depends on how much time you want to invest in looking for it, and I'm sure everyone has some form of that nostalgia; there are some obscure books I wish I still had.

Outside of lost memory hypnosis, you could sit down and slowly try to backtrack in your memory as to exactly what the information looked like and where you would have posted it, and then work your way down available search engines.

One method that worked for me was using whatever log in name I had at that particular time, combined with key wording.
    You dont happen to know any websites that has information on this do ya? Like a certain software or some plugin???

Pretty sure the NSA database has the information, but attempts to access is difficult and tends to garner unwanted attention and scrutiny.

Google and Bing tend to cache websites, so you may luck out there.

Not having a name and not being able to stumble upon it by accident leaves you with no useful outcomes. Tools exist to help find something you have a snippet of actual information for, not read minds and attempt to turn an impression into a usable name, let alone tiny snippet of bytes on a much larger site. Bluntly as I put it, that's a general policy that applies in multiples the more obscure/old a given website is being wistfully wondered about.

Facebook integration is sufficiently widespread that the only way that would help is if you can request all of your data or use logs dating back far (not familiar enough to say how accessible either are), which will either offer the comment or at the very least offer what site was used to access your account at that time, which any platform of that scale surely has. If they want to give it up is another question. Wayback Machine and Leonardo's suggestions in general are the go-to when you have the name and no such logging to fall back on, but the chances aren't too great it was archived specifically, especially if it was an obscure place. I'm afraid if it was just a link that references Gundams in the text, you're looking for a needle in a haystack. A very large haystack.

Don't forget to check back pages on the search, the front page, or even first 3 pages are not all that exist.

Per other suggestions I think you're best off focusing on at least the name of the site in question or keywords for the article, which could either jog your memory in the right direction or help you stumble on a useful reference. Despite what I said, articles are pretty easy to archive, and there's a chance of finding a backup if you know what you're looking for.

If your comment is inside Facebook, then try browsing your activity log.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post

Of course, this task is very difficult to accomplish!

It's a roll of the dice.

And depends on how long you want to keep rolling.