Thread: POTF 40 - Nominations

Default POTF 40 - Nominations

POTF is about recognising the very best posts, the best arguments and discourse in the D&D, and appropriately rewarding it.

You shall progressively earn these medals once you achieve enough wins, but first you must be nominated in threads such as this one. And it works like this.

Post of the Fortnight - Rules
    -Each user can nominate up to 2 posts per round, and the only valid form of nomination is by quoting with a link as shown below the chosen post in the PotF thread designated for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Looking forward to getting this kicked off for real!
    -Each 15 days there will be a new Nomination thread put up, and all the posts written during this period are considered eligible, if properly nominated. Exception are posts who are somewhat breaking the ToS; upon being acted by Moderation, they are always considered uneligible.

- Remember: It is possible to nominate up to 2 posts each round of the competition; it is also possible to change a nomination anytime before the actual round of nominations ends.

- There will be two competitions held every month, with a period for nominations followed by a period of voting. The submitted posts can be discussed in a dedicated space.

- Only posts that have not participated in a previous poll and that have been published in the current period of given time in any section of the D&D area may be nominated.

- The authors of the nominated post will be informed so they can withdraw the candidacy if that is their wish.

- The maximum number of participating posts in the final vote will be ten. If more than ten nominations are submitted, seconded nominations will take priority. After seconded nominations are considered, earliest nominations will take priority. If the number of posts submitted to the contest is less than ten, the organizing committee may nominate posts if it considers it appropriate.

-The members of the committee will never nominate a post belonging to one of them, but the rest of the users can nominate their posts (organizers posts), and vice versa.

-In the event of a tie, both posts will be awarded and both posters will receive rep and 1 competition point.

- Public or private messages asking for a vote for a candidate post are forbidden. Violators (and their posts) may not participate in the contest.

- People are expected to consider the quality and structure of the post itself, more than the content of the same. While it's certainly impossible to completely split the two aspects when making our own opinion on a post, it remains intended, as also explained in the Competition Commentary Thread, that commenting and discussing on the content rather than on the form/structure of the post is considered off-topic for the purpose of this competition. You are free to nominate and vote for whatever reason you want, but what happens in public has to strictly follow up with the competition rules.

A nominated post should:

1. Be focused and relevant to the topic(s) being discussed.
    2. Demonstrate a well-developed, insightful and nuanced understanding of the topic(s) it is discussing.
    3. Be logically coherent, well organized and communicate its points effectively.
    4. Support its contentions with verifiable evidence, either in the form of links or references.
    5. Not be deliberately vexatious to other users.
    6. Not be composed of a copy/paste in its entirety.

Good luck everyone!
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: POTF 40 - Nominations

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    There's an adage... "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock". It's a hokey saying often attributed to Jefferson, although he didn't actually say it. It is a moralism that people use to justify intractability and reduce subjectiveness in discourse.

I see the ability to reassess information and change a decision or opinion on a subject as a strength. To use the language of the above moralism, I don't draw a distinction between issues of style and matters of principle - I see both as largely subjective, and therefore as my life situation changes in time, my perspective on each is likely to change: either intentionally, or through accumulated experience.

In my day to day interactions, I have deliberately sought to be flexible. I work in that career field where it is an asset to be able to separate your ego from your work. I justify my work through iterative and evidence based testing processes. This means I make a guess based on what I know, I test my guess, I iterate my guess based on feedback, and retest. The cycle is repeated until I reach a result that has broad acceptance. Many years ago I discovered through these processes that my gut isn't always correct, and that I am valued for my responsiveness to counter-evidence.

However there are many contexts where flexibility can appear to be a weakness. Thanks to my history in competitive debating, I have also developed the ability to argue or debate a point separate to my own opinions. To Devil's advocate. This is a hallmark of the careers that follow from debating. Be it in politics, law, dispute resolution, etc, debaters are trained to take a position on a subject that is separate to their personal beliefs. Certainly, as a lawyer it is important to be able to argue a client's perspective - and the law demands that even the most abhorrent person out there must have fair legal representation. And politicians have to argue within the framework of the party that they have been chosen to represent. When I see a politician change their perspective, they are often castigated, either for their former perspective, or their latter.

Where things get interesting for me is when we throw cognitive biases into the mix. While it is important to be intractable when arguing for other people's perspectives - as a lawyer or politician for example - It is harder to justify intractability of principle when debating subjectives from a personal perspective. Most of us here who debate online, become good enough at arguments that we become almost impossible to convince of wrongness. We become so effective at reframing evidence to suit our desired narrative that the use of evidence itself becomes secondary to our ability to reframe. Through this process and combined with the lack of accountability that the internet provides, we entrench our perspectives.

I would go even further. I would suggest that through our debating culture we not only strengthen our cognitive biases, but we also we render our ability to change course in a discussion as weakness. This leads to forced binaries in our conversations about nuanced and potentially subjective topics for which there is not necessarily any wrong or right. It also leads to us debating ideas that we don't entirely agree with, simply because they are part of a broader set of perspectives that we are defending. I would argue that the most dangerous opinion, is that which is held by someone who is good enough at debating to convince themselves of their righteousness, but not introspective enough to see their own misjudgements. Most of us here would fit into this description - dangerously opinionated.

When I look back through my posts over the years, I can see a hardening on some issues, and completely changed perspectives on others. Two questions: Do you see the ability to change your mind a personal strength or a weakness? and when you see others change their mind do you treat it as a strength or weakness in them?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    No one is suggesting BLM is a terrorist group. Again, Cullors herself has been candid about her extremism, including how she was mentored and trained for years by a convicted domestic terrorist leader, Eric Mann. Her organization should be condemned, not given power and influence by the political and corporate establishments.

Public support for BLM didn’t enter net positive territory until 2018 amid sustained support from Democrat mega donors and proliferation of false narratives promoted by the group.

It wasn’t a claim, but rather an accurate description of the FBI’s findings, one which, again, was referenced by the killers themselves as to their mindset and motivations (BLM and the false narratives about a vast police conspiracy against blacks, a central tenet of the group’s mantra. See Long’s confession that BLM, in his view, did not go far enough to combat this conspiracy, so he took matters into his own hands; Johnson that he was upset by BLM and the narrative of police targeting blacks, wanted to kill white people).

Again, the Democrat Party has backed the group since 2015-16, and as BLM’s power and influence grew, it’s not surprising that Biden endorsed them and Cullors is demanding private meetings with him and the VP. No degrees of Kevin Bacon needed.

Perhaps you haven’t been paying attention. Support for BLM sat at 27% in 2016, and was net negative until 2018. Perhaps the public has a short memory. Perhaps the Democrat Party and sympathetic publicity has succeeded in whitewashing the group’s image. Perhaps both. Just because extremism has been gradually laundered into mainstream public discourse over the last 4-5 years, that doesn’t make it less extreme.

According to the group’s website:

This narrative of “rampant and deliberate violence inflicted on us by the state” is not only false, it also motivated violence and murder, as per the FBI.

The “Hands up, don’t shoot” narrative was debunked. An organization inspired and catalyzed by divisive false narratives is problematic as it is. Far from being “moderate,” the group’s demands, according to sponsored legislation, include:

“Dramatically” reduce military spending/DoD budget
    Use federal grants to push state and local governments to close prisons and defund police
    End life (prison) sentences
    Decriminalize illegal border crossings
    Close all federal prisons
    Fund race based reparations

These demands are extreme by their own description and sit well outside the political mainstream:

The Biden campaign publicly rejected most or all of these measures and they are unpopular with the public. Nevertheless, Democrat Party mega donors have been bankrolling BLM as a useful political tool for several years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Neither.
    Either way, one necessarily has sufficient cause so to do. Otherwise, one could not have done so.

Instinctively: Weakness.
    Rationally: Strength.
    But there is a kernel of rationality in instinct and all schema of rationality must necessarily lay upon an a-priori of a swirling mass of incomprehensibility.

True.
    But it's not like having entrenched opinions is new.
    It is human nature to tribalize, with signifiers such as opinions/dress/rituals/etc., it always has been so, it's not remarkable. What is remarkable is that in the latter 19th and 20th centuries significant pockets of discourse emerged that genuinely valued a rare concept called "truth", rendered in new and exciting ways coupled with "good-faith". Periods of de-entrenchment are rare and fleeting. I believe such events happen periodically, but pass relatively unnoticed (assuming that it is part of the Hegelian dialectical progression of future-history) and we continue as if we are genuinely furthering those values, which you point out - generally, we do not. Something that is pretty neat is that now we seem very aware of this fact. So there's that in which we may take solace.

Adding to your point about how the internet plays a role in this: I don't think anonymity plays as much of a major role as we often assume, almost the opposite in fact: we develop conjoined identities within which our ego grows upon itself like a metastasized tumour, amplifying all of the ill-effects of the ego and the id. I think the lack of accountability only plays a minor role (if any at all).

And subjectivity: there really is only one perspective and that is the subjective perspective, the only centre of the observable universe is the eye of the observer. The "objective" is merely the combination of several subjective perspectives, the combination of which is yet again subjective, aligning to a schematic purported to be "objective," but, of course, was developed by an individual. There is no escape from our subjectivity. I don't know where I'm going with this, so I'll stop here before I end up posting a wall of text again.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    It's a false believe that racial disparities in social mobility are always economic inequalities in disguise. Nope.Although class disparities are important in their own right, they don't explain the majority of the racial disparities.

------
    26 charts that show how systemic racism is in the US
    26 simple charts to show friends and family who aren't convinced racism is still a problem in America. These 26 charts show the extent of racial disparities in America, in areas like employment, wealth, education, home ownership, healthcare, and incarceration.

The employment-population ratio measures the share of a demographic group that has a job, and it's been lower for Black people for years
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The unemployment rate has also spiked for all racial groups in the US during the coronavirus pandemic, and is especially high for Black Americans.

Black Americans are underrepresented in high-paying jobs

One Harvard University study found that when Blacks and Asians "whitened" their resumes — for example, used "American" or "white"-sounding names — they got more callbacks for corporate interviews

Twenty-five percent of Black candidates received callbacks from their whitened resumes, while only 10% got calls when they left ethnic details on their resume.
    -------

People of color, and especially Black Americans, are severely underrepresented at the top of the corporate hierarchy.

Black Americans have historically been underrepresented in the highest echelons of government, as well.

Black workers have historically earned far less than white workers.

There's a similar disparity at the household level. Lower incomes mean that the poverty rate for Black families is over twice that of white families.

The aggregate wealth white households have held has historically far outstripped that held by the Black community. And while it has increased for white people since the 1980s, it's remained stagnant for Black people.

One of the contributing factors to the household wealth disparity is student loans.

The wage gap between races also interacts with the gender wage gap between men and women.

One common way to illustrate the gender and race wage gaps is through looking at "equal pay days" for different groups.

A key part of the "American Dream" is leaving your children in a better economic position than you were in, but that dream is less attainable for Black Americans.

Educational opportunities remain starkly split by race.

The share of both white and Black Americans with college degrees has increased dramatically over the last half-century, but there's still a gap.

As with income, intergenerational educational mobility varies widely between racial groups.

When they tried to get financing from banks, Black mortgage applicants were more likely to be denied loans than aspiring homeowners of other races.

Thus, the share of Black households that own their own homes is lower than other racial groups.

The coronavirus crisis has only exacerbated an already wide disparity in access to healthcare.

The current coronavirus pandemic has had a disparate impact on people of color.

Black prisoners are overrepresented in the US prison population compared to their share of the total US population.

Black men are roughly five times more likely to be imprisoned than their white counterparts — and nearly 13 times as likely in the 18-19 age group.

Marijuana usage rates are similar between white and Black Americans, yet Black Americans are 3.64 times more likely to get arrested on marijuana possession charges.

The racial disparity in marijuana arrests has actually gotten worse in recent years, even though more states are legalizing or decriminalizing marijuana.

Black people are overwhelmingly more likely than white people to be under parole supervision — and they're more likely to be sent back to prison for minor infractions.

Roughly half of those fatally shot by police are white, but Black Americans are fatally shot at a disproportionate rate compared to their representation in the US population.

Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    Vegetius says nothing about the ethnic make up of the army, so I do not think it is justified to say he was complaining about them the way some do about modern immigrants.

In fact, if that were the case Vegetius would have been complain on native Romans were refusing to fight and armies had to depend on foreigners, but that does not seem the case. I think he just misunderstood the reasons srmor was not being worn.

Late Roman armies were not as professional and were larger than earlier imperial legions. Earlier legions we're composed of long term (20 years) professionals, so it made sense to equip them as well as practical. The late Roman armies don't seem to be long term professionals, so there was less incentive to equip them as well, plus it would have cost a lot more, since there were more troops to equip.

Also, it was probably more difficult to impose the tighter discipline of the earlier empire. A Roman legionnaire had a pension to look forward to, and deserting meant forfeiting a substantial amount of money. Late Roman troops had less to lose, there doesn't seem any kind of pension as there was in the earlier empire. Wearing armor is uncomfortable, and if you don't fight a lot of battles, you might leave off wearing the armor if you can. Unlike the legions of the earlier empire, where you could expect a lot of fighting, and being sent to trouble spots as required, late Roman armies were more local, and it is possible any given troop might not see a lot of action for periods of time. If most of the time you are not fighting, you might leave off.wearing armor, unless you have your officers and centurions on your back to wear it. Unlike earlier Roman inperial legionnaires, who definitely could count on seeing combat, perhaps any give late Roman soldier might only rarely see combat.

Part of the reason the number of troops were expanded was so that you didn't have to move legions around to face a threat, but would have troops on hand to meet dangers. Spread around, any particular group of soldiers might occassionally face combat, and against foes who did not use a bow, a shield was good enough. Many Germans were not using the bow, Goths might have been an exception. I believe modern sargeants often have to force their inexperience charges to wear their helmet and body armor, left to themselves the enlisted might not wear it if they don't percieved a threat.