Thread: need some help moving exploding monster bombard shot to other mods

Default need some help moving exploding monster bombard shot to other mods

I'm trying to take the exploding monster bombard shot from this mod and put it into Stainless Steal, I've copied the entry for it into the SS descr_pojectiles and added the tertiary attack for the unit, is there anything else I need to do?
    I think I need to move something in the effects folder but IDK what exactly to look for.
    Also, how many attacks can a unit have max?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: need some help moving exploding monster bombard shot to other mods

3 different attacks, with a 'fiery' attack being a mandatory second afaik.

You basically need to work your way backwards through the projectile files, starting with each projectile in the EDU. There will be effect sets menitoned in the projectile files that require following up and then there is a possible special 'area' effect, depending on the projectile entry.
    Sorry for being vague, but projectiles involve a ton of files that are all interconnected.

Plus it's years ago that we did the mod and the guy who did all this hasn't been around for a long time.

Well, after just putting the entry for it in the SS projectiles file, it works, theres just no effect and I spent like 3 hours the day I posted that rummaging through the texture files but I am extremely new to modding and so I had no idea what to look for

also, the shell is absolutely fantastic, the thing goes off and like 400 guys drop dead per shot

Blog Entries

I had a little peek to refresh my memory - it seems to be this projectile: 'exploding_monster_bombard_shot' according to the EDU entry (Did yo know that we put the Krupp symbol on the canons barrel?)
    In descr_flaming_projectiles that leads to 'ground_impact_explosion_bertha_set' as well as descr_area_effects with 'ae_monster_shot_large'
    Code:
    projectile exploding_monster_bombard_shot    ; Dicke Bertha

flaming               monster_bombard_shot ---> descr_projectiles
    effect             huge_cannon_ball_set ---> descr_arrow_trail_effects
    end_effect                ground_impact_explosion_bertha_set
    end_man_effect            ground_impact_explosion_bertha_set
    end_package_effect        ground_impact_explosion_bertha_set
    end_shatter_effect        ground_impact_explosion_bertha_set
    end_shatter_man_effect        ground_impact_explosion_bertha_set
    end_shatter_package_effect        ground_impact_explosion_bertha_set

area_effect        ae_monster_shot_large ---> descr_area_effects
    The detailed 'ground_impact_explosion_bertha_set' is in descr_effects_impact which has a ton of effect lines, those references you can find all over the same file, two are default afaik, the rest is custom:
    Code:
    {
        play_time 2
        lod 1000
        {
            ground_dirt_explosion_bertha
            fiery_bertha_explosion_light
            fiery_bertha_explosion_light_02
            fiery_bertha_explosion_light_03
            ground_dust_wave_bertha
            ground_explosion_rising_bertha
            explosive_fiery_cloud_bertha
            ground_fiery_explosion_bertha_flash
            ground_fiery_explosion_bertha_flash_02
            ground_fiery_explosion_bertha_flash_03
            ground_fiery_explosion_bertha_flash_04
            shockwave
            ground_dirt_smoke_1648_bertha
            cannon_hit_ground_sound
            bertha_smoke_linger_huge
            bertha_smoke_linger_huge
            bertha_smoke_linger_huge

}
    }
    All that's left is to follow up on the lines marked with blue in the same manner. Somehow I would think further 'set' entries will possibly lead you to descr_artillery_effect as well as descr_muzzle_flash. And then there is descr_sound_weapons to give the unit just the right teeth shattering sound effects when firing.

Designing a complex custom projectile is one of the more intricate modding procedures in M2TW.
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 26, 2020 at 11:42 AM.

As I can see.
    All ive done so far is edit unit stats, recruitment and nation ownership
    And, yea I think I did notice the symbol. I didn't know what it was when I saw it and I thought it was on the one in vanilla but I just hadn't noticed.
    Also, a little off topic, but was a question I had after noticing the grenadier unit. If you can have 3 attacks, would it be possible to have a unit with a melee, gun, and grenade attack or does the grenade not count as "firey"?

Blog Entries

I am a bit rusty but I think non siege units, eg missile units can have three attacks as well, alas it boils down to melee, missile, fiery missile, eg the archers with fire arrows. For the grenadiers it would be a fiery naptha bomb I guess.

It's also a matter of the animation, basically the third attack uses the animation of the second attack. I have never seen an animation with three attack sections.