Thread: Total Immersion: Removal of Battle HUD / UI

the Leper King's Avatar Libertus

Default Total Immersion: Removal of Battle HUD / UI

I finally found a way to remove all of the visual elements of the Battle HUD / User Interface. To better explain this, please refer to the picture below. Even with unit cards, radar, and unit commands hidden, there were these really annoying icons in the top-left corner of the screen during a battle that would never go away. There's a work around to remove this by pressing "Shift" + "T" to open the chat window, closing that window, clicking the gear box area, and then point away to make it hide and it only appears when you hove over that area. This is a real tedious process and I have to do it before every battle. This work around also doesn't work in the campaign map. I never use the advisor, chat, or any other element in that area so I wanted it gone. It also ruins my screenshots

Please make backups for all the files you edit just in case.
    To remove these elements:
    1) I used Pack File Manager 4.1.2 to open the UI pack file located in the "Empire Total War"/"data" folder
    2) Once opened, I navigated to the "ui"/"common ui" section and extracted the entire "skins" section within "common ui".
    3) Go to you extracted skins folder and find all the files with the words "advice", "advisor", or "chat". There should be 50 total.
    4)(Tedious but simple part) Open each one these in either GIMP or Photoshop, choose the eraser function and erase the entire image.
    5) Don't save. Instead go to "File" -- "Export As", and choose a different folder than were you have the original copies. Any folder.
    6) Click "Export" when you have selected your new location. If another window pops up, just click "Export again".
    7) Make sure it saved as a "TGA" file just like the original.
    8) Do this for all 50 files. Its a real pain but its so simple and it works.
    9) When you done, make sure each file matches the file name of the original copies that you extracted from the UI pack file. All must be TGA files too.
    10) Next move all the files that you created and put them in the "skins" folder that you extracted. Click "Overwrite" to overwrite all 50 files.
    11) Now, open the UI pack file in your "data" folder again using Pack FIle Manager. Just like in step #1.
    12) Then when its opened, click the "Options" tab, then uncheck "CA Packs Are Read Only". When the window pops up, click "I'm not afraid, coward!".
    13) Navigate to the "common ui" section, delete the entire, "skins" section, wait for it to finish.
    14) Finally, click the "common ui" section to highlight it, Right-click, then "Add" and "Directory". Select the "skins" folder that you created.
    15) Wait for it to load and hit "Save". It should now look like the original "common ui" section with the same "skins" folder.

Test it out in a quick battle and on the campaign map to confirm that all the top left icons are gone. I'm certain theres any easier way to do this but this is my way.

Default Re: Total Immersion: Removal of Battle HUD / UI

Here are some pictures of before and after.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Inked20201122164354_1_LI.jpg   20201123171256_1.jpg   20201123171304_1.jpg  

For the completed image edits without needing to use GIMP/photoshop, download the attached "Skins Modded.rar" file. You still need too extract all the "skins" from the pack file, overwrite them with the edited files, and put them back into the pack file. It'll be like skipping steps #4 through #9.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by the Leper King; August 04, 2022 at 10:08 PM. Reason: My old MediaFire download link wasn't working anymore so I will try uploading the file directly to TWCenter. Let me know if you have any issues.

Thanks for this mod, good work! +rep
    Try my ETW mods: Interface Enhancement Mod