Thread: Hotseat to play as emergent faction

Default Hotseat to play as emergent faction

Hi,

i'm wondering if it's possible to tweak files to make a hotseat campaign possible, so that i can play an emergent faction in a mod. Which files would i have to edit? Does it work with every mod? I want the game to look normal, just give me the option to change to the emergent faction when it, well, emerges

Thanks for the help

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Default Re: Hotseat to play as emergent faction

well, you dont have to edit much. You need to know your admin password (how to set your HS properly is explained here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...f-Guide-Admins ) and when the faction emerges, you simply use "control mongols" for example, to turn them into a "human" faction.

There might be a small issue though. Not sure if it always applies with emergent factions, but at some cases when you are trying to load a save during a turn of a such a faction, the game crashes. However, solution is simple, you always save and load during a turn of other human faction, and thn play the emergent turn in one play without saving, and then save your progress on the other faction's turn. Tho, as I said, might not happen to you, not exactly sure what causes this issue. But in case it happens, this is how you deal with it

Fantastic! thanks a lot

One more question. After i make the switch, can the old faction be played by the AI? Or do i have to play both factions then? Is there an option like "don't play Hungary anymore" once you play the mongols? Thanks!

Gaming Emeritus

the console command "control faction" works both way. If used on AI faction, it will turn it human. If used on human faction, it will turn it AI

Thanks yet again!

Just be sure you don't resign any battles when playing as the emergent faction as the 'control' command is bugged and will always give a win if you resign.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    Not sure if it always applies with emergent factions, but at some cases when you are trying to load a save during a turn of a such a faction, the game crashes.
    Could you provide more information about the circumstances in which you observed this? It's news to me so I've been trying to reproduce it and haven't succeeded.

Gaming Emeritus

Well, perhaps its instead caused by unfreezing and playing a faction that was originally frozen (using "freeze_faction_ai x" in the script), when I think of it. Done that a lot for events in my hotseats

I still wasn't able to get the game to crash when taking control of a frozen AI faction. In fact, I don't notice any difference between controlling frozen and unfrozen AI factions (I was hoping it might fix the win-upon-resign bug, but nope).

Another annoying bug I've known about for some time with the 'control' command is that it gets the season wrong when you flip for the first time to the controlled faction's turn. After that first time, it fixes itself. But it's pretty odd looking.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Gaming Emeritus

I mean you dont get the crash when changing the control of the faction. It crashes when you load a save, that is saved within the faction's turn(not sure if that was clear)

Yea, the season thing is pretty weird...

Yes, that's what I was testing - loading a save made during the controlled faction's turn. I tried flipping several turns and saving at different points and couldn't get a crash. I tried controlling frozen and unfrozen AI factions and no crash. There must be something else going on with your setup. A descr_strat setting for the faction? The faction I'm testing with has the 'dead_until_resurrected' tag in DS and is a horde in descr_sm_factions.

Gaming Emeritus

Yea, it must be descr_strat then, but I lost it (eventho the HS is still going).

Its a horde faction, that started with no settlements and was frozen, I assume it must be this combination then. Not sure if I wrote "dead_until_resurected!" into DS tho.

One gotta love this game, so many bugs and exceptions

Gaming Emeritus

Ah, just came across descr_sm_factions, and its actually not a horde faction. It just doesnt have a family tree...

Gaming Emeritus

Sighs, recreated the estimated same setting, but no crash as well

I assume I must have written something really weird into descr_strat (or not written). Funny is its not just that HS, but it has been kinda a tradition for me to do it in that hotseat series (as I had started several of them for new players on the same scenario...)