Thread: 30 Factions but crashes when adding 31

Default 30 Factions but crashes when adding 31

I'm trying to add the Kalmar_Union faction to sm_factions but when i do the game CTD's at start up. I only need it for the banner change when the event takes place, and there's no error in the logs that says what's wrong. I counted all the factions in the game currently and it adds up to 30. can anyone help me out here to see what's wrong. I'm sure the hard limit was 31 factions.

Default Re: 30 Factions but crashes when adding 31

Adding over 31 factions to descr_sm_factions doesn't, by itself, crash the game - the game simply stops parsing entries after 31. If you try to use the change banner command in campaign_script and call a post-31 entry in descr_sm_factions, then you will get a crash, but I seem to recall that this will show up in the log. There are other errors that can result from pushing one or more of the existing factions over the 31 limit, e.g. bmdb, EDB, etc. calling a faction which no longer exists. These types of errors might not show up in the log.

Iirc, the true list of factions is at the top of descr_strat; are you sure you didn't exceed 31 there? Did you edit all the other files necessary to set up a new faction? Did you check to make sure you didn't make any errors in those files?

We usually make errors doing minor changes. For major changes like adding a new faction, new religion, new culture, converting a faction to a different culture, etc., it's necessary to keep a record and backups of all the files you edited so that when (not if) you get a crash that isn't in the log you know where to look.

; Campaign file, generated by Geomod

campaign imperial_campaign
    playable
    wales
    ireland
    novgorod
    teutonic_order
    lithuania
    jerusalem
    antioch
    norway
    scotland
    milan
    venice
    sicily
    spain
    portugal
    denmark
    poland
    hungary
    russia
    egypt
    france
    england
    turks
    moors
    hre
    byzantium
    end
    unlockable

end
    nonplayable
    mongols
    papal_states
    aztecs
    timurids
    slave
    end

this is my descr_strat.txt of the factions I currently have and it runs fine. it could be that I may have missed something when adding the Union. Any advice you may have or files that I can upload for anyone to check would be helpful. Barely got into modding the game and am still pretty green out of just following tutorials online.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Check my tutorial that Callistonian linked you to. Make sure to add all text file entries, templates for bulk entries are included in the download. Set up the required symbols as described.
    It will be easiest to unpack the teutonic campaign and copy the relevant symbols from there.

I have everything unpacked already, but am having some issues with the bin converter. python 2.5 is installed, and when i run the converter it just opens up the notepad file and nothing happens. Would like to get this working because looking at historical events txt would save me a load of time when trying to add in scripted events. I'll do more work trying to add in the Union banner later and reply back if I still have issues. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!!!

I am having the exact same problem. I even thought it is my thread))). The weird thing is that I was able to add the 30th faction to SS 6.3 without an issue. Trying to repeat the same procedure to add the 31st faction did not work for some reason.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phenex77 View Post
    I have everything unpacked already, but am having some issues with the bin converter. python 2.5 is installed, and when i run the converter it just opens up the notepad file and nothing happens. Would like to get this working because looking at historical events txt would save me a load of time when trying to add in scripted events. I'll do more work trying to add in the Union banner later and reply back if I still have issues. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!!!
    Bin converter could be the wrong python version - I use 2.66:
    You can always use this stand alone Bin Converter.