Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The last few days of downtime

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default The last few days of downtime

TWC has been down for the last few days. This was the result of a hardware failure, which GED has worked to fix. If you can read this post, the site is back online.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default Re: The last few days of downtime

That took quite a while, it's been what... 6 days? The server failed I presume?

Glad it's been solved.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I suppose I'll ask the question on everyone's mind, then: has the one responsible for this (or a suitable scapegoat) been identified and executed yet?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    That took quite a while, it's been what... 6 days? The server failed I presume?

Glad it's been solved.
    About half that time, but it still is a serious setback for the site IMO.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Campidoctor

We seem to have learned that the mighty TW server, our sacred little ark, seems to be stored in GED's private lair, not on some fancy server farm, so there's that. Always humble, always special, always unique.

So... shouldn't we migrate to the cloud by now, instead of a private server? At least that way we will have it connected to the world cloud and less issues of hardware.

Even better - is GED considering to sell the site? I'd be open to lob an offer.

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

The site would probably cost several thousand dollars. It cost ~10k when GED bought it from Gabrb in 2012, granted it still made a profit at the time.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I suppose I'll ask the question on everyone's mind, then: has the one responsible for this (or a suitable scapegoat) been identified and executed yet?
    Another reason why I should be awarded with citizenship and the loincloth posthaste, for he who has nothing, cannot be punished by having stuff taken from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    The site would probably cost several thousand dollars. It cost ~10k when GED bought it from Gabrb in 2012, granted it still made a profit at the time.
    Provided it makes a profit, it should be fine.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    It did not cost anywhere near that amount; it barely was making a profit (remember we had to ask donations to replace the old server?).

For the record.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Who did you get the site from Garb?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

imb39?

or the Russian Mafia

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

So... shouldn't we migrate to the cloud by now, instead of a private server? At least that way we will have it connected to the world cloud and less issues of hardware.

Even better - is GED considering to sell the site? I'd be open to lob an offer.
    Agreed. Things was quite different 10 years ago, I mean a couple of years before CloudFlare and Google become a reality.

You know, that's actually something I've been thinking about for a few years now, especially after every down time in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar View Post
    It did not cost anywhere near that amount; it barely was making a profit (remember we had to ask donations to replace the old server?).

For the record.
    I barely remember that and I think the servers was Odin along with Thor. I think there are still a thread about that in the Q & S forum, somewhere deep in the depth of the forum.
    Last edited by Leonardo; November 23, 2020 at 04:22 PM.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar View Post

For the record.
    I don't know why I remembered GED saying it cost that much. Anyway it wasn't cheap and it would not be cheap now.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Definition of cheap / not cheap varies quite a lot. 5K is very doable at almost any point, including a small loss or break even; anything over 10K requires a business plan to see how the costs can be managed and the investment recouped.

GED, if you're open, I would be more than happy to discuss.

And I can guarantee it would be in good hands, since I am also the Admin of TW Org. ( HTTP://forums.totalwar.org/vb )

GED, if you're open, I would be more than happy to discuss.

And I can guarantee it would be in good hands, since I am also the Admin of TW Org. ( HTTP://forums.totalwar.org/vb )
    If that happen then perhaps a merge with two sites, but somehow I don't think that would happen in the near future.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    If that happen then perhaps a merge with two sites, but somehow I don't think that would happen in the near future.
    Not a bad idea, I'd love to get an ownership stake in the merged site.

To be honest, I am not really for a merge of the 2 sites and here's why - TW Org is a small-ish place, it always more of a cosy little tea-house kind of thing. TWC is like the bustling Agora and you can see that in both the reach of the people and the amount of views / viewers this goes. It's a stark difference between the two websites.

Keep in mind TW Org gets well over 1 million views a year (rough ballpark figure, not disclosing exact numbers) - TWC probably gets 3-4 million?

More than that, in terms of TW Org, we do not have any ads on the main pages. In fact we don't have any ads at all, we support it out of donations.

TWC however can make a profit and keep itself sustainable, depends on the business plan & final price of the website, if the owners are willing to sell. Plus also how difficult it would be to keep it running and above all - to migrate it to the cloud!

To be honest, I am not really for a merge of the 2 sites and here's why - TW Org is a small-ish place, it always more of a cosy little tea-house kind of thing. TWC is like the bustling Agora and you can see that in both the reach of the people and the amount of views / viewers this goes. It's a stark difference between the two websites.

Keep in mind TW Org gets well over 1 million views a year (rough ballpark figure, not disclosing exact numbers) - TWC probably gets 3-4 million?

More than that, in terms of TW Org, we do not have any ads on the main pages. In fact we don't have any ads at all, we support it out of donations.

TWC however can make a profit and keep itself sustainable, depends on the business plan & final price of the website, if the owners are willing to sell. Plus also how difficult it would be to keep it running and above all - to migrate it to the cloud!
    In case you haven't notice, but for the last 10 years TWC has gradually decreased and some forums doesn't have enough traffic to keep those less active forums separate instead these forums has either been removed or merged with other forums that's fairly active.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...m-Streamlining

Also, keep in mind that CA doesn't come here anymore and they stop coming about 5 years ago, which is another factor of why TWC has declined and the best way to check that is to search via Google and see what results such a search is for TWC.

Of course, traffic is dwindling. But here is the trade off paradox - traffic to TW forums is dwindling but because of Warhammer, Total War is as popular as ever.

I'm more than aware that CA hasn't visited here in a very long time, again, something that needs to be explored.

Keep in mind TWC and TW Org still bring an estimate 3-5 million views a year. That's still a LOT of people no matter how you spin it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast