Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The last few days of downtime

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: The last few days of downtime

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    How does building a Warhammer community on the forum, so that discussions about WH:TW stay here have nothing to do with promoting warhammer? There was no measure taken by site administration to ecourage or increase discussion. It was business as usual, while expeting things to be different.

The second part of what I propose, namely working ahead of time to build a community for the next fantasy setting here on the forum, can be done without GED - all you need to do is waint until the next setting is revealed and start hyping up the forum as the place to talk about it by pushing hard on facebook, reddit, discord that TWC is the place where you can gather and discuss X universe.

Last time a TWC staffer interacted with the total war reddit (as far as I know) was in 2016-17 when Hader posted site news on the official sub. Site admins have a special tag on the official sub and usually tend to get stickied for a couple of days, but nobody is using those priviledges to promote TWC. Why? That should be the main priority of the news team, not posting stuff on a page nobody visits anyway.

Spam the official TW reddit, spam the facebook groups, spam spam spam until you get banned, then make an alt and spam some more. You don't need GED for that. You don't need GED to hold competitions and multiplayer tournaments. You don't need GED to have youtubers review mods developed on TWC. There is a lot of stuff you can do with the reasources you do have.

In short raise awareness. Right know most of the young'uns know TWC sucks because Mandalore and some other youtuber whose name I don't remember said so in their youtube review of TW:WH2. And you admins do nothing.

Again, you miss the point dude; I will requote myself

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    None of the actual Hex or staffer ever joined the Staff with the intent to do anything else than a voluntary work, with no second goals than that of enjoying the time spent on the site.
    Is that clearer now?

Whatever Hader did, he did that on his initiative, and if he left, that was the end of his project, period. If for me, I wouldn't have even opened a discord TWC channel, just to mention eh.

And anyways you have been part of the Staff yourself, and I don't remember you doing anything else than what you were expected to as a Librarian. Still, just to mention.

And do something about the mudpit, because right now it's less a place to talk and more of a place to snipe at other people and generally post nonsense. The mudpit is one of the main reasons that drove people away.
    Lol I'd say it was quite the contrary.

You know what it's difficult to have a productive discussion when one or both of the parties hold a grudge and refuse to see the things for what they are. However, once more thanks for your input, if anything that makes it even clearer what is worth to do and what not

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    And that's the whole gist of it, we need a significant TWC overhaul. Hence why maybe a fresh new perspective / ownership can be good.

Even something of a Council of Elders who have full control or share the ownership can work.

If we see TWC as a business, TWC can be a very good amount of money to sustain itself, develop itself and maybe bring a small profit to cover the initial investment. It has enough views to grow sustainably.
    Thanks to the dude, someone is still able to have an honest and realistic view of the situation
    Last edited by Flinn; December 03, 2020 at 03:50 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I really doubt that spamming could have been really helpful. Has anyone actually visited those South Korean sites, despite that massive spam wave a few years ago? I doubt this tactic would convince many from the rule-free, instant-posting and much more populous social media communities to migrate into a platform they perceive as obsolete and isolated. The phenomenon is actually much more widespread and has also affected the official forums, whose traffic has declined dramatically, despite being maintained by a team of professionals and always being in the forefront of official news. Anyway, spamming is not even a realistic expectation for a team made up by volunteers. Attempts at cooperation with Youtube channels have already been made, but it's rather difficult to persuade someone to spend his free-time and resources for the benefit of Total War Center, instead of focusing on his personal channel.
    TWC has official tags on the TW Reddit? Is this true?
    No, it doesn't. I'm not sure if the option to have special tags is even technically available in Reddit. What Sir Adrian is referring to is the user title, which can be customised on a whim. One of Hader's interlocutors, for example, identifies as a Praetorian Guard, while the auto-moderator account describes itself as a mighty lion of the infinite desert. Official tags can only apply in the colour of the usernames, those of Creative Assembly employees, for example, are always purple, but this is a special privilege no TWC administrator ever enjoyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    And do something about the mudpit, because right now it's less a place to talk and more of a place to snipe at other people and generally post nonsense. The mudpit is one of the main reasons that drove people away.
    What should be done about the Mudpit, besides enforcing the rules? It's true that TWC is mocked as a far-right haven, full of drooling nationalists, over in Reddit, but we can't exactly ban members, based on their affiliation. The most effective way to combat that negative image relies, in my opinion, on the membership itself. Only she can substantially challenge the dominant, conspirational narrative (provided it actually exists) by refuting the theories of the "extremist brigade".
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; December 03, 2020 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Grammar is hard.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

It would have been definitely nice to be assigned a special TW badge - that way people would recognise us.

Regardless, I do agree with the idea that we should post over there as well. Maybe all of the content & modding news at least.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I’m gonna stop right there, the reddit political sections are a dumpster fire. The_Donald never had a counterpart on TWC. https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...change-of-pace
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

It would have been definitely nice to be assigned a special TW badge - that way people would recognise us.

Regardless, I do agree with the idea that we should post over there as well. Maybe all of the content & modding news at least.
    Unfortunately, the rules of the Total Wareddit make that a bit awkward.

Rule 7 is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Wareddit rules
    Keep self-promotion reasonable.

No excessive self-promotion of YouTube videos and let's plays. Please keep the posting of your own videos to a maximum of twice a week, or once every three days.

A widely used rule of thumb is the 9:1 ratio, i.e. only 1 out of every 10 of your submissions should be your own content.
    If we set up a Reddit account for the News team, then the whole point of that account would (obviously) be to promote ourselves and encourage people to visit TWC. We'd probably be more or less copying our announcement posts from TWC to Reddit. I know that a lot of our announcements are mod-related (so they don't only promote TWC; they're promoting a mod as well), but I think even so it's likely the Total Wareddit moderators would get annoyed with us pretty rapidly because every single post we made would include a link to TWC.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

But that's the thing - we should reach out to them and discuss this stuff beforehand. I mean, we are the most popular TW forum - if it wasn't for us, and forums in general, Reddit would not even exist.

Reach out to them, a good honest discussion with them. And with the CA team.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Agreed. It would definitely help and I know one site does that and that is TES Alliance.

Avatars and Signatures may NOT contain the TESA dragon image, as it is reserved for our staff only; violations will be removed and the user may be warned. This includes the TESA dragon logo, which may not be used in any context (avatar, signature, or otherwise) without staff sanctioning. Special exceptions can be made by senior staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    Unfortunately, the rules of the Total Wareddit make that a bit awkward.

Rule 7 is:

If we set up a Reddit account for the News team, then the whole point of that account would (obviously) be to promote ourselves and encourage people to visit TWC. We'd probably be more or less copying our announcement posts from TWC to Reddit. I know that a lot of our announcements are mod-related (so they don't only promote TWC; they're promoting a mod as well), but I think even so it's likely the Total Wareddit moderators would get annoyed with us pretty rapidly because every single post we made would include a link to TWC.
    I doubt that is about using a specific TWC avatar or using a custom title e.g Arthmoor uses the "Destroyer of Bugs" title in his post profile.
    Last edited by Leonardo; December 06, 2020 at 01:10 PM.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

No, it isn't talking about avatars or custom titles. The issue as things stand is putting news articles over there and linking back to TWC.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango12345 View Post
    No, it isn't talking about avatars or custom titles. The issue as things stand is putting news articles over there and linking back to TWC.
    I know that, but what I am talking about is that rule Caillagh posted and not what we want to post over at reddit. If we used custom titles and a specific TWC avatar on reddit people over there can search for TWC them self, don't they.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

The custom titles you're referring to, or user flairs as they're called there can be manually set, but I don't think doing so is the best approach for advertising, and would probably garner more negative than positive attention, there is some "memey" feelings towards TWC among some users there.
    However, making a post saying that "x mod has recieved a new update" with a link to the TWC page of the mod should be fine I think
    Last edited by King Athelstan; December 14, 2020 at 12:19 PM.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

The last days i face a rather bizzare issue.
    I copy /paste the TGC mod's link in Facebook but when i press it i have this message:
    Invalid Forum specified. Check that the URL is correct. If it seems to be, the resource you requested probably no longer exists, and links pointing to it should be deleted or updated.
    Few days ago i did not have such a problem.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Earlier today (my timezone is UK+1), I got a "Internal Error 504" when I clicked on a thread (I don't remember what thread), so I decided it was time to logout which gave me another error and this time I got a database error.

Has anyone else notice the same thing as I have?

Right a momment ago..data base error and i had to refresh the page 5 times to load.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

There are intermittent database errors. As yet we do not know exactly what the source of them is.

Another problem located to "edit" posts. When you chose to edit a post a blank message window apears without any text or images and a second window apears "quick post" caussing double posts in varius cases.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

double posts are the children of database errors, that's a certainty
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Tango12345 View Post
    There are intermittent database errors. As yet we do not know exactly what the source of them is.
    I got another database error after reading a thread inside the Curia then I wanted to go the Site Administration category just to get that database error about 1-2 hours ago.

I suspect something is wrong with the database itself, not internal error, but it's likely something about the server and it could be the diskspace of one the HDD that's causing a database error.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123