Thread: Imperial Splendour 3

Foederatus

Icon14 Imperial Splendour 3

Playing as Prussia, our beloved Friedrich the First just passed away at age 98, shortly after acquiring the „mistress“ ancillary in the very last moment

It’s perfectly reasonable to sell a million copies of a video game to „casual gamers“, women and children and leave it to the modders to turn it into something good. But then, you mustn’t impose too many obstacles on them. Why was Creative Assembly always so blind in that regard? I’m impressed, what you guys achieved despite the modding limitations in Empire Total War. You took the submod motto, „nec aspera terrent“, quiet literally. Great job.

If I’m so positive about Imperial Splendour, I should explain, why I got around to write these lines as late as 2020. Well, back in the days I think I played custom battles without any problems but encountered suspicious text errors in the campaign game when negotiating withe the French and English („missing string.“). At that time I was very unexperienced in implementing mod files without the installer (I’m on a Mac and can’t run the installer .exe file), so I often screwed up and thought the mod wasn’t working, at least not for me. Those text errors scared me off, so I didn’ want to take the risk of a fully fledged campaign game, only to later run into game breaking bigger bugs midgame, nothing more frustrating than that. That deterred me from IS, and I took a little detour via Empire Realism, Imperial Destroyer and Darthmod. They all have their merits. But Imperial Splendour is clearly ahead.

Besides giving you creators due praise for this right-minded mod I want to strongly encourage you to attack version 3! I’m sure there are not so few people silently waiting for it. There’s still an audience. It’s a natural thing, that it’s rather quiet in here, for „everything has been said“, most areas of Imperial Splendour have been covered, most technical issues addressed, or, after all these years, they figure, what’s on their minds probably has been asked already or discussed before. And if not for the players, it lies in the logic of the age of Empire Total War, the 18th century world, that all things must end up sorted out and well rounded. Just think of a Händel opera, where friends and foes – after murder and betrayal – come on stage for the final scene, hold their hands happily and sing a tutti altogether.

airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Imperial Splendour 3

Quote Originally Posted by Keinpferd View Post
    Playing as Prussia, our beloved Friedrich the First just passed away at age 98, shortly after acquiring the „mistress“ ancillary in the very last moment

It’s perfectly reasonable to sell a million copies of a video game to „casual gamers“, women and children and leave it to the modders to turn it into something good. But then, you mustn’t impose too many obstacles on them. Why was Creative Assembly always so blind in that regard? I’m impressed, what you guys achieved despite the modding limitations in Empire Total War. You took the submod motto, „nec aspera terrent“, quiet literally. Great job.

If I’m so positive about Imperial Splendour, I should explain, why I got around to write these lines as late as 2020. Well, back in the days I think I played custom battles without any problems but encountered suspicious text errors in the campaign game when negotiating withe the French and English („missing string.“). At that time I was very unexperienced in implementing mod files without the installer (I’m on a Mac and can’t run the installer .exe file), so I often screwed up and thought the mod wasn’t working, at least not for me. Those text errors scared me off, so I didn’ want to take the risk of a fully fledged campaign game, only to later run into game breaking bigger bugs midgame, nothing more frustrating than that. That deterred me from IS, and I took a little detour via Empire Realism, Imperial Destroyer and Darthmod. They all have their merits. But Imperial Splendour is clearly ahead.

Besides giving you creators due praise for this right-minded mod I want to strongly encourage you to attack version 3! I’m sure there are not so few people silently waiting for it. There’s still an audience. It’s a natural thing, that it’s rather quiet in here, for „everything has been said“, most areas of Imperial Splendour have been covered, most technical issues addressed, or, after all these years, they figure, what’s on their minds probably has been asked already or discussed before. And if not for the players, it lies in the logic of the age of Empire Total War, the 18th century world, that all things must end up sorted out and well rounded. Just think of a Händel opera, where friends and foes – after murder and betrayal – come on stage for the final scene, hold their hands happily and sing a tutti altogether.
    I would like to see IS3 for Napoleon TW though

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Keinpferd View Post

Ah, Händel... when moving to other periods, you will be certainly hearing of Händel And thanks for the compliments

Quote Originally Posted by airborne guy View Post
    I would like to see IS3 for Napoleon TW though
    Which won't happen as NTW only has Europe as a map and for us, a campaign without America and India just don't make sense.

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus View Post
    ...a campaign without America and India just don't make sense.
    this.

I didn't think there was an IS v3? Just 2.2.1b and ROTR.

Still hanging out for IS 2.3 as I love the early campaign too.