Thread: Europa Barbarorum 2 is a Pokemon Game

Default Europa Barbarorum 2 is a Pokemon Game

Hear me out. Every unit is a Pokemon. They are constrained by geographical location, can "level up" with experience, have unique traits and characteristics, and disappear when wiped out (imagine this is a Nuzlocke run). Retraining a unit is like going to the Pokemon Center. Campaigning deep into enemy territory is like exploring a new Route. Facing full stacks is synonymous with challenging a gym leader. And engaging in a long, arduous war with a late game superpower is like squaring off against the Elite Four and Champion. People talk about constructing an interesting or competitive army just like Pokenerds gossip about team lineups that give them the edge. Finally, the roleplay potential is amazing for both games. The AARs from EBII and other TW games are similar to Nuzlocke runs of Pokemon games.

TLR, Armored Indian Elephants are basically Mega Rayquaza.
    I am not mentally ill.

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum 2 is a Pokemon Game

You think people are collecting units? People are collecting traits and ancillaries.

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    You think people are collecting units? People are collecting traits and ancillaries.
    That too. But my main focus is to collect unique Poke - I mean, units across all corners of my empire, and mash them into one big mess. No warrior can even communicate with the guy standing next to him, because they all speak different languages. The risk of rebellion is minimal with little to no cost to tactical flexibility, as long as the multilingual officers of each unit doesn't get dinked by an arrow.

What do you aim for when collecting traits and ancillaries? Do you try to max out characters or let them develop into something interesting?

Campidoctor

- PYRRHOS OF EPEIROS is confused!
    - PYRRHOS OF EPEIROS used PYRRHIC VICTORY!
    - Player used POKé BALL!
    - All right! PYRRHOS OF EPEIROS was caught!

I can confirm, the primary purpose of regional development is to train those local rarities. Maiotian Swordsmen still have six javelins at 16 damage a pop, if I'm remembering correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryoshakespeare View Post
    I can confirm, the primary purpose of regional development is to train those local rarities. Maiotian Swordsmen still have six javelins at 16 damage a pop, if I'm remembering correctly.
    Looks like that was from an earlier version - they now have a 20+ javelin attack. Exactly how these dudes carry around 6 pseudo-pilum I do not know...

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    - PYRRHOS OF EPEIROS is confused!
    - PYRRHOS OF EPEIROS used PYRRHIC VICTORY!
    - Player used POKé BALL!
    - All right! PYRRHOS OF EPEIROS was caught!
    IMO catching Pyrrhos should delete all masterballs from your inventory. You play the pyrrhic game, you win the pyrrhic victory

Now we need a submod for Gym Badge ancillaries.

Quote Originally Posted by BailianSteel View Post
    Now we need a submod for Gym Badge ancillaries.
    Hmmm, let's imagine we're playing as Makedonia. Killing Pyrrhus gives you the Eagle Badge, without which units with more than 3 experience won't listen to you and automatically enter berserk mode in battle. Wiping out KH gives you the Hoplon Badge, which eliminates Statis and Hellenic Autonomy maluses. Next, re-establishing your northern borders to deactivate those raid scripts will grant you the Overlord Badge, which causes periodic raids on the Getai. Finally, capturing Babylon will earn you the Successor Badge, which begins adding an extra 1% to Hellenistic Polities to all your settlements every winter. As a post-game achievement, reach India in order to acquire the Mutiny Badge which causes your wearied soldiers to never obey you again

Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    Looks like that was from an earlier version - they now have a 20+ javelin attack. Exactly how these dudes carry around 6 pseudo-pilum I do not know...
    If you watch them, you notice they walk and move very stiffly, almost as if they have... sticks... up in them.

Hear me out. Every unit is a Pokemon. They are constrained by geographical location, can "level up" with experience, have unique traits and characteristics, and disappear when wiped out (imagine this is a Nuzlocke run). Retraining a unit is like going to the Pokemon Center. Campaigning deep into enemy territory is like exploring a new Route. Facing full stacks is synonymous with challenging a gym leader. And engaging in a long, arduous war with a late game superpower is like squaring off against the Elite Four and Champion. People talk about constructing an interesting or competitive army just like Pokenerds gossip about team lineups that give them the edge. Finally, the roleplay potential is amazing for both games. The AARs from EBII and other TW games are similar to Nuzlocke runs of Pokemon games.

I am not mentally ill.
    Wow, that's a really interesting analogy! I can definitely see where you're coming from in comparing units in a Total War game to Pokemon. It's true that each unit can have unique traits and characteristics, and the idea of leveling up with experience is certainly similar. I can also see how exploring enemy territory could be seen as akin to exploring a new Route in a Pokemon game.

The hardest ones to get are those unlocked by the Eastern Migrations script.

I am not mentally ill.
    Wow, this is a really interesting idea! I can see how someone who enjoys both Pokemon and strategy games like Total War would find this concept really compelling. It's fascinating how you've drawn parallels between the two games, from the way units function to the sense of progression and accomplishment that comes from building a powerful army. I can also see how this could lead to some really fun roleplaying opportunities. I bet there are players out there who would love to create stories and narratives around their armies, imagining their soldiers as unique and interesting Pokemon with their own personalities and abilities.