Thread: This mod is very difficult...

Default This mod is very difficult...

Hello, for the sake of background, I will start by saying that I am by no means an expert Total War player. I have 43 hours in WH2, 250 hours in Shogun 2, and 750 in 3K. I do not know how many I have in Med2—though around 20-30 would be my guess, which is definitely contributing to my issues here. What caught my interest about this mod is the sheer amount of love and effort that's evident in the faction select screen menu alone. Coupled with the fantastic OST that was chosen for it, I can really see myself becoming immersed in playing this for hours on end. However, I usually hit a wall incredibly early in the campaign from what the factions I have played, namely Shi Xie, Ma Teng, and Gongsun Du, there is a tendency for the AI to build up one or two incredibly powerful armies while I am still building up my forces. If I manage to wipe or defeat one of them, they usually go back to a far off settlement that takes me a while to reach, allowing them more time to build up another. In the case of Shi Xie, if I send Shi Hui over to the Nanman, for example, this occurs before I have a single engagement with them due to his army starving on the way to Zangke and the AI immediately reinforcing it with a full stack. Any tips? How do I improve to curb this issue?

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Default Re: This mod is very difficult...

I think the issue mostly has to do with distance and replenishment.

Visual this: You send a single, full stack of troops to attack an enemy territory. Let's say it will take 8 turns to reach a far-off city, but 3 turns into the journey you fight a large enemy army. You win and take some losses, and their defeated army flees back to their nearest settlement. During the remaining 5 turns to reach the enemy city, the enemy is able to recruit troops in multiple settlements while you still only have your one (somewhat depleted) stack heading their way. By the time you get to your destination, your depleted army is going to be outnumbered by fresh units deep in enemy territory. Not a good situation.

If you're going to press a war over long distances, such as Shi Xie going after the Nanman, it would probably be best to send a "replenishment army" (half stack or more) that follows your main attack force. Not only can this secondary army be direct reinforcements in battle, but they can also swap their fully-manned units for depleted unit in the main attack force, thus keeping your main force as fully manned as possible. This way you not only have more than a single stack pressing the offensive but, more importantly, you can "replenish" your main force's losses in the field.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

If I'm going long distances I make sure to have at least 2 armies. Not only is it easier to take settlements, but it'll help if they do replenish

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Dorpsbewoner View Post
    Hello, for the sake of background, I will start by saying that I am by no means an expert Total War player. I have 43 hours in WH2, 250 hours in Shogun 2, and 750 in 3K. I do not know how many I have in Med2—though around 20-30 would be my guess, which is definitely contributing to my issues here. What caught my interest about this mod is the sheer amount of love and effort that's evident in the faction select screen menu alone. Coupled with the fantastic OST that was chosen for it, I can really see myself becoming immersed in playing this for hours on end. However, I usually hit a wall incredibly early in the campaign from what the factions I have played, namely Shi Xie, Ma Teng, and Gongsun Du, there is a tendency for the AI to build up one or two incredibly powerful armies while I am still building up my forces. If I manage to wipe or defeat one of them, they usually go back to a far off settlement that takes me a while to reach, allowing them more time to build up another. In the case of Shi Xie, if I send Shi Hui over to the Nanman, for example, this occurs before I have a single engagement with them due to his army starving on the way to Zangke and the AI immediately reinforcing it with a full stack. Any tips? How do I improve to curb this issue?
    You are lucky. In our mod if your faction has less than 10000 gold and a general travels alone he becomes rebel.
    The same happens if the King has less authority than a spesific number. Last there is the succession wars that create a shadow faction ready to claim your throne.
    If a mod is chalenging like you describe you must be happy about it. With easy wins no one learns. In my 14 years playing M2TW mods i never re-play defeats because that is a way to learn how to manage difficulties.
    My advice as a old player is to use your mind to find solutions were there seams that there are none! That will sharpen your brain and help you in real life too. Take every battle as a chalenge. BE GREATFULL if that chalenge is harder that you can hundle.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.