Thread: Will Kolkhis have its day?

Semisalis

Default Will Kolkhis have its day?

I've struggled to understand Kolkhis, this faction has been in DEI for years now but has very little content. The vast majority of their roster are generic Greek units available to all Greek factions, their only interesting unique unit is a heavy cavalry that can only be used as a bodyguard and can't actually be recruited. Both of their unique hoplites are supplanted by a generic Greek hoplite that is better. Geographically they are a one city start in an unwalled coastal city surrounded by powerful hostile land army factions in, Hayk, Royal Scythia, Galatia, and the Seleucids as well as dangerous naval powers like Galatia, Bosporus, and Odrysia. To put it bluntly, this faction has nothing to offer and there is no reason to play it.

Compare this to a similar faction, Kartli, which starts just next door: insulated walled city start, unique textures for their units, cataphract bodyguards, super heavy cataphract lancers, and Armazis Dacva, a leading contender for best melee infantry in DEI.

So, will Kolkhis have its day where it receives an expansion similar to Atropatkan's recent rise to glory? Kolkhis sits on the crossroads between the Hellenic, Persian, and Scythian worlds, I see great potential for a varied and unique roster.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Will Kolkhis have its day?

You would think that but no, there is no potential, becuase there is not much content for this faction during the period. Kartli were the major players of the region while Kolchis is pretty much absent from sources once they became part of Achaemenid empire until it was absorbed into what was left of Pontus in I BC. I might add a unit or two for each Colchis and Kartli but that is all they will get due to lack of knowledge. I've seen few stuff over the net but hard to tell the period they are from, once I will properly sit on it I might find something but there wont be much anyway.
    Last edited by KAM 2150; November 14, 2020 at 03:25 PM.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Semisalis

It's sad they will not have an expansion of their own. I do hope you add at least one unit to Kolkhis, a faction only needs 1 or 2 interesting units to stand out. The Syracuse Gastraphetes, Kartli Thorosani Mekhdroba and Armazis Dacva, Saka Rauka's Hadabaras, Rhodian Slingers, that 200 man heavy peltast unit for Numidia, these factions are examples of how far 1 or 2 memorable units can go in defining a faction. I hope there's cause to give Kolkhis there own similar unit, maybe something near those Lochnophoroi horse archer mercenaries in Scythia, just 1 unit like that could go a long way to making Kolkhis worth playing. I like playing small factions that have 1 or 2 cities at the start so Kolkhis has always tempted me from afar.

I think it would be nice to change their late game units from the generic greek thorax and elite hoplites to something more region specific. Like a greek-kartli cross over or something.
    Last edited by skillfultree; November 15, 2020 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    You would think that but no, there is no potential, becuase there is not much content for this faction during the period. Kartli were the major players of the region while Kolchis is pretty much absent from sources once they became part of Achaemenid empire until it was absorbed into what was left of Pontus in I BC. I might add a unit or two for each Colchis and Kartli but that is all they will get due to lack of knowledge. I've seen few stuff over the net but hard to tell the period they are from, once I will properly sit on it I might find something but there wont be much anyway.
    KAM, when are you going to add those mentioned new units? I want to start a new campaign as Kartli and I would have waited for it.

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Well that seems like a good argument to not make them a standard playable faction then.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

It would be cool to swap them out with a more interesting current minor faction as a main-line nation. Maybe Bithynia?

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

I vote to keep Kolchis - even with a boring roster.

Khevsur's Avatar Senator

Information and illustrations about Old Georgian Warriors

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-and-pictures)