Thread: Regarding AOR units

Default Regarding AOR units

So, I really love aor in DEI, and in total war in general. But one thing that has become apparent to me recently is that it might be a little too easy to spam aor units. Even when far away from their home region, aor units can be replaced very rapidly, since all foreign population is the same for the manpower system, leading to many players spamming aor units simply for their ease of replacement; what I think should be done is to lower the replenishment rate of all aor units. In practice, this doesn’t affect aor usage in their home regions or the regions immediately surrounding them, since you can just merge and recruit more very quickly, but it would nerf aor units when being used further away from their home regions, and also would better represent needing to call up soldiers from their homelands, kinda. Thoughts?

Semisalis

Default Re: Regarding AOR units

Is it possible to set different replenishment rates for individual units? I thought all units replenished at the same rate and that's why you only need 10% population to replenish, otherwise noble units would not be usable due to their slow growth.

Personally I don't see a problem with AOR units in armies at the moment since each unit has a factionwide limit, if I want to use AOR armies then let me. My only suggestion is that they are too easy to recruit coming from the main city building, a second AOR barracks would make more sense. Currently you can capture a city and immediately start throwing that province's AOR units on the field since you don't even need to repair the city building to recruit them. It's odd that you can sack or raze a city and immediately start recruiting the people whose homes you just annihilated into your service.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Is it possible to set different replenishment rates for individual units?
    nope, simply impossible

Damn, ah well. Would be nice though, wouldn’t it?

It would be possible to block their replenishment outside recruitment provinces, but it would require a lot scripting, not worth it... All in all I would like the AOR units to be more like levies that could be used as a last resort since they are mostly available from main chain buildings and thus are very easy to acquire from the beginning.

Armored syrian archers send their regards.

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by MrTimbe68 View Post
    I would like the AOR units to be more like levies that could be used as a last resort since they are mostly available from main chain buildings and thus are very easy to acquire from the beginning.
    I think this works with the majority of AOR units which are low quality levies, but it doesn't work as well with the likes of say, Heavy Armored Syrian Elephants, Akkadian Elite Super Hoplites, Parthian Heavy Cataphracts, Phrygian Pikemen, Solduros, Gastraphetes, and the many other very high quality elite AOR units across the map. It doesn't make much sense being able to throw these units on the field the turn after you take a city while it is still in ruins, particularly when many of them are better than my own factional units that took 30 turns to research and another 25 turns to build the barracks to recruit them.

I think DEI is at its most enjoyable when you add your own house rules. The mods have done amazing things but some stuff is just plain hard coded. But its usually small things you can do youself. When I have an AOR unit that too decimated far away from their home province (essentially should be destroyed) I'll disband and recruit a local one, no matter how much worse. Keeps things interesting and realistic.

jazstl's Avatar Civis

I was thinking of this a lot. I don't know much about moding but I think main building line should restrict local recrutment, as in have a special path just for the high tier AOR units that hampers you economically (Autonomy), other paths should let you recruit just levy tier troops or local warbands if present, but have a better eco and civic bonuses.

I remember similar solutions on EB.