Thread: Ryzen 7 3700 xt fan oscillating a lot.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Ryzen 7 3700 xt fan oscillating a lot.

After 18 years of intel + nvidia I finally caved and bought a full amd computer. I set it up today, all well and good, however the cpu fan is driving me insane.

It keeps going up and down, up and down, up down all the time and it is extremely noisy. Things I tried: downloaded the gygabite system information app and set the fan speeds there, set the profile to quiet in uefi.

System specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, 8 cores, stock cooler.
    Kingston 16Gb DDR4 at 2400
    Gygabite B450 gamer x mobo
    Kingston sata2 sdd
    Intertech S-3901 Impulse case

Here's a screenshot of 1 minute in a Shogun 2 start of the campaign battle while also listening to Joe Rogan on youtube in the background.

The CPU temperature jumped between 52 and 65 every couple of seconds. Now I understand that Ryzen CPUs do this by design, but the fan is driving me insane. Anything I can do about it?
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default Re: Ryzen 7 3700 xt fan oscillating a lot.

It looks like either CPU is throttling too early or the fan control is too sensitive. Either way the cooling is no good.

What's the fan speed and CPU/GPU clock? Both should remain stable when you're playing Shogun 2, and fan speed shouldn't be high for that old game (outdated graphics and max two cores only I recall - you have 8). Did you install the cooler and paste yourself? Do you have another cooler to try?

If the silly behavior of throttling cannot be configured, I'd use a more powerful cooler to keep it well below target temperature all the time.

Setting it to silent wouldn't / shouldn't work well - you need the cooler to be able to remove all the heat. It cannot be be underpowered and efficient at the same time. There are quieter fans of better efficiency for more $$$.

PS: or you could limit CPU or GPU speed in BIOS or Windows to keep it stable...
    Last edited by AqD; November 08, 2020 at 04:47 AM.

It is a prebuilt system. This one in fact. I'll check the frequency when I get back home.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Shut your computer off, pull out the power cable, disconnect the fan from the motherboard, take out the CMOS battery. Wait 10 minutes. Replug everything in and see if that fixes it. Sometimes it really is as simple as plugging stuff in and out again.

Well, I have a Twenty Seven Hundred and Thirty Seven Hundred Ecks, each cooled on the RGB Prism.

The Thirty Seven tends to get pushed to it's limits, so the fan ramps up and down; the Twenty Seven is mostly used for video and browsing, and remains constant.

Both run on sixty five watts.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Oscillating behavior isn't ideal however. There are a number of things we can try.

First fix you can try is updating your BIOS and seeing which version is installed:
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...upport-dl-bios
    Should be F51 or higher.

If that doesn't fix it then modify the power scheme manually using the steps shown below:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...and_fan_speed/

I fixed the issue by adjusting the fan curve in Gigabyte SIV and lowering the max allowed fan speed from 100% to 99%. Apparently it's a well known firmware bug that everybody except for Gigabyte has solved.

Fairly sure that this curve can be optimised but I'm happy enough with it as it is.

Last edited by Sir Adrian; November 16, 2020 at 06:26 AM.

Yes that's the issue. F51 BIOS in particular has an update regarding 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen XT. Make sure to do that as well if MOBO isn't upgraded.

Will do. Thanks

I wish there were more American and European companies handling PC hardware. EVGA is the best in the business and if there was an AMD equivalent, they'd crush it. As it is right now, we're stuck with a bunch of Taiwanese companies and there's an obvious cultural and language barrier between them, and the markets they serve.

I dunno. Let's take radeon cards. Sapphire is by far the best of the bunch each generation, and they're based in Hong Kong, meanwhile XFX, an american company, are really hit and miss. Let's take the card I have, rx 5600 xt. The Sapphire version manages to have better performance than all other competitors while remaining decently cool. The XFX version, which I have, has good performance but gaming temps are ~80C for core and memory and 90C for hotspot. That's poor engineering. The 5700 XFX card is straight up horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    I dunno. Let's take radeon cards. Sapphire is by far the best of the bunch each generation, and they're based in Hong Kong, meanwhile XFX, an american company, are really hit and miss. Let's take the card I have, rx 5600 xt. The Sapphire version manages to have better performance than all other competitors while remaining decently cool. The XFX version, which I have, has good performance but gaming temps are ~80C for core and memory and 90C for hotspot. That's poor engineering. The 5700 XFX card is straight up horrible.
    XFX is a Hong Kong company. I know it says American on the wiki page, but their management is based in Hong Kong. I credit Sapphire's "success" to their close collaboration with AMD. Not trying to take credit away from their engineers, but I assume that AMD exerts a level of control and pressure that motivates Sapphire to be the best. That said, I've had RMAs with Sapphire and I've heard about RMAs with Sapphire. They're not exactly a smooth process. EVGA has hands down the best customer service and it's not even close. They understand their customers and their customer needs, Chinese companies just look after their bottom line. You see the same trend with Newegg, who's customer service went downhill after they were acquired by a Chinese company. I'm not saying they were perfect before (they had a much higher number of DOA products, especially hard drives), but the returns process is worse now. For all the grief Amazon gets, returns and exchange is a simple process with them.